Lense thoughts?

Houndoc

Spent several days at a photo workshop in page a couple weeks ago (highly recommend anyone wanting to up your skills to take a workshop with Mylo Fowler , @navajomylo on Instagram.) I will add some photos if I get a minute to the thread.

But reminded me that the autofocus my 18-55mm lens no longer works. It will need to be replaced.

I also have 70-200mm and 150-600mm, but it would be nice to limit the number of lenses I pack around.

Trying to decide between another 18-55 or an 18-200. I know the more we ask a lens to do, potentially the less well it does any of it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

FYI, I shoot a Nikon D5300.

Attachments

• DSC_0230.jpg
    DSC_0230.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0246-2.jpg
    DSC_0246-2.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 5

DAA

I don't know the Nikon ecosystem at all. So, can't be specific about any particular lens.

I'm thinking since it came with an 18-55 the camera is a crop body (APS-C)? If full frame, either ignore the following or apply the conversion factor :D.

But my favorite all around lens for my crop body Canon is a 15-85. The difference between 15mm and 18mm is quite a bit. I've shot with an 18-xx a lot and I find the wider angle of the 15-xx very useful, very often.

So, my suggestion, something with a wider angle on the low end than 18mm. As fast as you can afford. My Canon 15-85 is very sharp, but it's slow at 3.5-5.6. I very often wish I could afford a faster lens with the same focal range. My new little point and shoot has an equivalent focal range but it's 1.8-2.8 and I have found myself reaching for it when my DSLR is sitting there too, to take advantage of that faster lens.

- DAA

DAA

Here's the Nikon version of the one I use the most on my Canon DSLR. A 16-85/3.5-5.6, retail $700.

And the faster version, which if you can afford it would be a lot nicer to have, a 16-80/2.8-4 for $1070 retail. Nice looking lens.

A super zoom like an 18-200 does cover a lot of ground, but they are usually pretty soft and slow. I have one, but I have only used it a couple times. The 18 is too long for a lot of shots and 200 isn't long enough for real telephoto work, and it's slow and not super sharp. I miss not being wider than 18 with it, more often than I miss not being longer than 85 with the 15-85.

- DAA

boogie_4wheel

I don't have any pertinent information to give, just a thank you for posting his ig name. My wife and I both went to school with him in Page.
He has posted some nice pictures. Another person based in that area is @lucid_shadow_

Houndoc

A super zoom like an 18-200 does cover a lot of ground, but they are usually pretty soft and slow. I have one, but I have only used it a couple times. The 18 is too long for a lot of shots and 200 isn't long enough for real telephoto work, and it's slow and not super sharp. I miss not being wider than 18 with it, more often than I miss not being longer than 85 with the 15-85.

- DAA

Balance is certainly lens quality v convenience. Changing and packing a variety of lenses is doable, but a little annoying at times. We have an 18-300 Tamron on the camera my wife uses. Good for most situations but quality not where it could be overall.

I don't have any pertinent information to give, just a thank you for posting his ig name. My wife and I both went to school with him in Page.
He has posted some nice pictures. Another person based in that area is @lucid_shadow_

Great guy. First met him at a RSL fundraiser for the solar project he does on the reservation for homes without electricity. Definitely someone giving back to his home community.