Lets talk about suspension seats

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm thinking about upgrading front seat in my LJ. It is a somewhat daily driver but not driven every day and not very much. Like everything else there are trade offs, here is what I am looking for.
-From my limited experience, suspension seats rock vs off road version of stock seats with foam and springs. I want suspension unless someone can talk me out of them.
-Need to be compatible with factory seat belts. I'm not going to 5 or 4 point harnesses in this rig as it sees too much normal non trail use.
-Need to be somewhat easy to get into and out of. Super high bolstered bucket type non reclining is a no go.
-Need to maintain stock seat bases for fold and slide to access back seat for my kiddo.

Seats I'm looking at

Mastercraft baja RS.
PRP Enduro
Corbeau Baja RS.

I'm thinking Mastercrafts are the winner here but want to hear from some people who have owned any of the above. The Corbeau's are 1/2 the price but if they are 1/2 the seat I'd much rather buy once, cry once.

Toad

I have the Corbeau Baja RS in my CJ. Super comfy about the only seat that I can be in all day and not be sore. My drivers seat foam is starting to break down were your drag your ass out. The fabric is fine. I spoke with Corbeau about it. Apparently it is just flat pieces of foam in my seat. The newer ones have a molded foam seat. I think you nailed it perfectly with the Mastercraft vs Corbeau.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Do the Baja RS sit higher than the stock seats? Every one I have tried are too tall on the stock CJ risers.

DAA

I've been running the Mastercraft Baja RS in my LJ for about ten years now. They check off all the boxes on your list. And I'd get them again.

Do the Baja RS sit higher than the stock seats? Every one I have tried are too tall on the stock CJ risers.

They sit higher on TJ bracketry. I had riser blocks under the stock brackets when running the factory seats. I took them out when the Mastercraft seats went in and I sit about the same as I did with the blocks under the old seats.

- DAA

J-mobzz

I’ve had about 4 sets of Corbeau seats in different rigs over the years mainly because they are local here in Utah and I’ve always been able to find killer deals through friends or dealers. While I’ve been pleased with the seats I would place the caveat and say I’ve been pleased with them for they money. They are not Mastercraft seats and if you are okay paying for the Mastercraft I would definitely go that direction.

Pile of parts

I have the Smittybilt XRC and they look like an exact copy of the MasterCraft - without the MasterCraft quality. However, they have held up well and been comfortable in a trail rig. I'm not trying to talk you into Smittybilt - just comparing appearance. It is definitely a style (MasterCraft or Smittybilt) that has enough bolster to hold you in but not be difficult to get in and out of. Mine are in a yj based trail rig and I built mounts that are tied into the cage so I placed everything at the height I wanted. Therefore, I can't give any advice to mounting height in yours. You might have to get adapter brackets for your bases.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've been running the Mastercraft Baja RS in my LJ for about ten years now. They check off all the boxes on your list. And I'd get them again.
They sit higher on TJ bracketry. I had riser blocks under the stock brackets when running the factory seats. I took them out when the Mastercraft seats went in and I sit about the same as I did with the blocks under the old seats.

- DAA
I've held off on risers in anticipation of suspension seats being taller. 10 years is a pretty decent life, as I suspect you have climbed in and out of them a few times to check on ropes :D

I have the Smittybilt XRC and they look like an exact copy of the MasterCraft - without the MasterCraft quality. However, they have held up well and been comfortable in a trail rig. I'm not trying to talk you into Smittybilt - just comparing appearance. It is definitely a style (MasterCraft or Smittybilt) that has enough bolster to hold you in but not be difficult to get in and out of. Mine are in a yj based trail rig and I built mounts that are tied into the cage so I placed everything at the height I wanted. Therefore, I can't give any advice to mounting height in yours. You might have to get adapter brackets for your bases.
I looked at the Smittybuilt but for 60% the price of a Mastercraft or PRP, I'll go USA made over Chinese copy.

Im a PRP fan myself and I have had them all in different vehicles or buggies.

I sat in the PRP's at jeep safari this year. They are super comfy and I imagine they are well built.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I need to buy some for my buggy build too and I find myself wishing there were places to sit in seats to test fit. I’m man-sized and don’t fit in a lot of seats comfortably. Ugh

DAA

I've held off on risers in anticipation of suspension seats being taller. 10 years is a pretty decent life, as I suspect you have climbed in and out of them a few times to check on ropes :D

Yeah, now that you mention it, I bet mine have had more in and outs that most with similar miles on them. One of the seat heaters died last year, and the backs are pretty roughed up from cargo loads up against them. But all in all, they are still in great shape and should go for a good many more years. I'll see if I can get a pic of them today - they really do still look great from the front.

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just a little more suspension seat insight & Corbeau discussion.... I've had a few sets of Corbeau seats, I bought them because they are local and the prices were usually pretty hard to beat, compared to others. The last set I bought were Corbeau XRS's for my GMC Sierra, they weren't cheap at all ($1200/pair) and looked to be a high quality seat, with the brackets. This truck wasn't my daily driver, but I did end up driving it often.

I was disappointed with comfort level (foam was way too firm), back support was terrible, the quality of things like the back recliner handle (cheap plastic that broke soon after install) and the fact that the side bolster foam started falling apart within 6 months of install, making the seat look like hell. Considering the price and claims of the XRS's, I was extremely unhappy with them.

IMO, Corbeau seats are fine for a trail rig that doesn't see daily use. If you are using them daily, you'd be better off with Mastercraft or PRP. I just feel like the build quality and materials are better.

I've gotten to the point with seats that IMO, it's hard to beat a good, factory seat. Lots of people have been swapping in seats from a newer VW Jetta. They can be found with a high quality pleather, are very comfortable, manually adjustable and many have seat heaters. Obviously they don't have the suspension and deep bolsters, but I can promise you they will last 5x longer than aftermarket seats.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Thanks for the info Greg. The more I stare at them, the less the corbeaus appeal. The PRP and Mastercraft have lower bolsters that would make daily in and out much easier.
I'm leaning towards the PRP but really like the Mastercraft tilt levers and shape.