Shop / Tools Let's talk bandsaws!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I see in my near future a vertical bandsaw. It will see very little woodwork, mostly metal work. Does anybody have any opinions or advice to share? I don't need anything huge, but I want it to be able to run through 1/4" material when needed.

I'm currently looking at a WEN 2 speed 10" unit but would be happy to consider others. It will get light usage so I don't think I need to spring for an expensive industrial bandsaw.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been cruising KSL for a 14" vertical bandsaw for months. Mostly/exclusively for woodworking though.

muleskinner

I have this one, it's an older model but it works great. http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-3-4-Vertical-Metal-Cutting-Bandsaw/G8146
It's probably bigger than anything you'll need. It's pretty nice and it has a blade welder on it so I buy blades in bulk rolls and make my own.

i also have a swag table. If you're not cutting lots of steel and don't need a deep cut, the swag table works great for what it is.

I have one of these in my shop that I probably use once a week too-
http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/hbs-1018w-10-x-18-horizontal-bandsaw/414473

What ever you buy, make sure it has a nice low speed to cut steel. like 70-80 SFPM. Some people say 250-300 is good, but I like it around 75.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Check out YouTube on how to convert a wood bandsaw for metal cutting. One guy uses a motor and dimmer like switch from a treadmill.
I picked up my horizontal/vertical from an RME-er and made a bigger plate to cut like a bandsaw.

muleskinner

I tried converting a 14'' wood bandsaw by using jackshafts, different size pulleys and a VFD and it never even cut as good as my swag setup. I'd look for a true metal cutting bandsaw if it were me.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You've seen it, but I have a DeWalt Porta-band with a Swag table... I love it, use it way more often than I thought I would. And I use it for more than metal... PVC, wood, etc, etc. It's incredibly handy. I have cut some pretty big material on it, but you have to watch it... it's easy to pop the blade off or break it if you're not careful.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
My 1955 DoAll vertical band saw has a handy chart for the cut speeds based on what your cutting (it even has a asbestos as a material:eek:)and it recommends steel up to 1" thick set up at 175 sfpm. Its going to be hard to find a decent small vertical band saw that will cut that slow. If you haven't tried the portaband approach i would start there first, they are the handiest little units and even more handy with a table. I cut out a table for a friend that bought a Horror Frieght portaband and has been happy with its performance.

Brad J

I use my Harbor Freight Tools Portable Bandsaw all of the time. I only wish that the blade was turned 90 degrees so I could cut deeper stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_9123.JPG
    IMG_9123.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9122 Bandsaw worked great for cutting Seat Frames.JPG
    IMG_9122 Bandsaw worked great for cutting Seat Frames.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Interesting... I might have to consider the SWAG setup. I do like the idea of being able to use it as a portable as well.

Good info in here!

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I purchased a Wilton model# 8201 (14" metal cutting vertical bandsaw) about 15 years ago and used the snot out of it but it was getting to the point where I was really overworking it and I was fearful that it would someday leave me sawless one day at the most inopportune time. I was at a point about three years ago where I could upgrade to a more industrial saw but the stuff I was seeing on KSL was either junk or not exactly what I was looking for.

I ended up purchasing a 20" Birmingham KB-45 from Precision Mathews (same guy I bought my mill and lathe from) and it has been a fantastic vertical bandsaw. It is a modern Taiwanese version of the old DoAll model saws and I have used this one a lot and am very happy with it. I definitely think it will be my last vertical bandsaw that I ever have to purchase. I wish I wouldn't had purchased the smaller one all those years ago and just bought my final bandsaw first.

Mike

cruiserhead81

wiggam wheeler
I was looking for one as well but didn't want to spend a fortune. So like others have stated I built my own table for my Milwaukee and it is very handy. I don't know why I didn't do it years ago.

Attachments

• 20180205_205038.jpg
    20180205_205038.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27