Let's talk Escalante...

sixstringsteve

I've never been but I'd like to go someday. I realize there's no real 4x4 action there, but I'd like to camp and explore. What are your favorite things to see? Good hikes? Best places to camp? Must-sees?

I'd like to hike Neon Canyon someday and do the rappel into the Golden Cathedral
I also plan on doing calf creek falls and upper calf creek falls

Anything else to explore while I'm down there?

Cascadia

Undecided
We've done both calf creek falls. They're a lot of fun. But we ran them instead of hiking them. So you'd likely see more than we did. Lower falls is prettier and greener but upper falls you can jump into. Maybe 15-20ft drop into the pool.

Cascadia

Undecided
You should also try the burger restaurant in Boulder. They grow all their own stuff there including their cows. Devils canyon was also a fun one.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
x2 on Calf Creek, I hiked upper last year, didn't make it to lower. Also I can't remember the reservoir past town, but it has great fishing, didn't even have to buy food because we had so much fish.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My wife's parents have a cabin in Boulder so we have spent a lot of time down that way. Here are a few we have enjoyed: Calf Creek falls, Hole in the Rock, Tantalus Flats road to South draw 4x4 road (ends on the Scenic Drive in Capital Reef), Capital Reef hikes (Upper and Lower Muley Twist, Brimhall natural bridge, and others), Burr Trail, Hell's Backbone, Devil's Garden, Wolverine Loop with small slot canyons and petrified forest, and of course lots of fishing in the Boulders.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Cool. Where are your favorite places to camp there? I'm tied to my vehicle for camping, so it needs to be a place I can get a vehicle in.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've only been there once we stayed at the campground at wide hollow reservoir. Its not to far out of town so if you need supplies its not a far drive. As I said before the fishing was great. We had luck with the garlic powerbait. Some of the spots have some good space between spots, down side very few have good shade. The price is reasonable. The petrified forest is also near the campsites here.

There are also a number of campsites outside of town by the lower calf creek falls trail. They seemed a little closer together, and in a canyon of sorts so the sound will carry.

sixstringsteve

I'm hoping for non-paying campsites (unless they're really worth it). Scenic areas along a dirt road are good for me (assuming camping is allowed). The more primitive the better.

Last edited:

zkeys

I'm hoping for non-paying campsites (unless they're really worth it). Scenic areas along a dirt road are good for me (assuming camping is allowed). The more primitive the better.

The Calf Creek campground is a pay site, but it is very kid friendly. Calf Creek runs right through the campground. When we were the back in the day I was probably 11-12. We had a blast playing in the creek.

Being 36 now, I really really want to go back and, well, play in the creek again.

Zack