Let's Talk Lawns

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Help! Turned on my sprinklers today and 5 of the 6 zones will not activate. Never had this problem before. I made sure the secondary water was on. All bleed screws were closed. They activate when I crack the valves. The controller is a 12 year old rain bird. Any ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpeg
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 6

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Help! Turned on my sprinklers today and 5 of the 6 zones will not activate. Never had this problem before. I made sure the secondary water was on. All bleed screws were closed. They activate when I crack the valves. The controller is a 12 year old rain bird. Any ideas??
if you swap one of the non-working to working zone does it work? Where it's 5 of the 6 zones not working I'm suspecting something like a ground issue or the controller just decided to die over the winter. I'd double check wires make sure something didn't come loose.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
After verifying the wire connections at the timer, remove the wire nuts at the solenoids at put a meter on it. Most timers output 24VAC. Should say on the back of the unit.

I had a couple wires that showed 24VAC but would not handle any current draw due to corrosion on the wire ends. After polishing them up with scotchbrite I was back in business.

I always put a spooge of silicone grease in the wire nuts.

Jay5.9L

What worries me is that for 12 years I’ve never had an issue and now multiple zones all die at once. Think a controller reset is a viable solution?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
You can absolutely try a reset. Does the 1 valve that was working still activate?
Some of the older controllers have a small glass fuse in them. Maybe the 1st valve popped the fuse.

A super quick check can be done with a meter right at the controller. Just look for 24VAC being output before even going to individual valves.

It a long shot that the wires got cut with the edger/string trimmer.

Jay5.9L

I did have voles last year but no signs for a while. Did a reset and didn’t help much. One station fired for a moment. Gives me hope it’s just a tone of solenoids crapping out at once. Still weird 5/6 die at the same time

Pike2350

Not sure where to put this...but I am starting to get my sprinklers setup in the backyard. We are doing 100% new everything because of the leveling of yard and addition.

I spent this weekend trying to come up with a "full proof" plan to get it done and serviceable if it ever needs to be. I am sure I am over thinking it but I can't help it. I am running all wires in 1" gray conduit under ground, or in the case of the front valves, until I can zip tie it to the AC line then around , where they will go back underground.

I am struggling with layout and analysis paralysis. I finally just said F' it and start trenching....what a MAJOR PIA. So many rocks and roots. I think I have it wiorked out but maybe someone could help. I don't plan on separating the planting beds from the lawn...too lazy and too hard to get it done well...so the sprinklers need to cover those as well.

Not sure if this will come through, but this is the layout.

Attachments

• 20240421_173721.jpg
    20240421_173721.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240421_152916.jpg
    20240421_152916.jpg
    873.4 KB · Views: 23

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Not sure where to put this...but I am starting to get my sprinklers setup in the backyard. We are doing 100% new everything because of the leveling of yard and addition.

I spent this weekend trying to come up with a "full proof" plan to get it done and serviceable if it ever needs to be. I am sure I am over thinking it but I can't help it. I am running all wires in 1" gray conduit under ground, or in the case of the front valves, until I can zip tie it to the AC line then around , where they will go back underground.

I am struggling with layout and analysis paralysis. I finally just said F' it and start trenching....what a MAJOR PIA. So many rocks and roots. I think I have it wiorked out but maybe someone could help. I don't plan on separating the planting beds from the lawn...too lazy and too hard to get it done well...so the sprinklers need to cover those as well.

Not sure if this will come through, but this is the layout.
There is a face in your tree...
1713751556862.png

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I did have voles last year but no signs for a while. Did a reset and didn’t help much. One station fired for a moment. Gives me hope it’s just a tone of solenoids crapping out at once. Still weird 5/6 die at the same time
I doubt your solenoids died unless you keep them submerged in water all summer. I'd do what @SLC97SR5 did and check voltages with a multimeter. I think I replaced my last controller at about 14 years so it might just be that time.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I got tired of working on my lawn so I did this last year. The first contractor ghosted me after doing some work, the second contractor ghosted me after doing a little more work, and the third one (Nick at Thrive Landscaping) worked great. It was a bigger pain then mowing the lawn but I think it looks great. I still have some grass in the backyard for the grand kids to play on but when I was a kid I would spend more time playing with rocks.

20230117_145624.jpg20230906_113949.jpg20230906_113920.jpg

Corban_White

@Medsker Is your neighbor using the fence as a retaining wall?

20230906_113949-jpg.172027

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you are talking about the rocks at the end that is a retaining wall that is about 5 feet this side of the fence. The neighbor on the right made a retaining wall that is really solid and then built the fence next to it but not touching. I hope that answers your questions.