Let's Talk Lawns

RockChucker

http://www.eastmillcreekwater.org/

I think most are like yours. A ditch that floods, community takes care of it, and that's about all I know about types like that.

Our creek was covered/piped in and the original owner of this property, which was once quite a bit of acreage alloted some to different parcels.

Over time, the town got their hands on some, the church some, but they fought to keep 3, each with a family member's home. 2 remain. We got ours along with the house purchase.

I had no respect for just how valuable it was, at the time.

Because ours is a culinary water stock, we get something like 13.5-18+k (iirc) gallons a month, depending the season. That's why the city drools over it.

Either way, I'd be pretty excited to have a share(s) in that area.
Wow! The shares came with the house!? That’s not normal in my experience. When my folks bought their house, the water shares went with the previous owner. Hold on to those shares!

ID Bronco

We have water shares on almost six acres. It transfers with the property unless we give it up which could happen if we didn't pay the irrigation company fees. It's nice to have but ditch maintenance is a pain. Two of our neighbors are both single older women and they have nearly come to blows a few times over water. It's ugly but entertaining. I'm sure water is much more valuable down there. I cannot get them to allow me to fill and pond though. It sucks.

Houndoc

We just got a letter informing us that our irrigation water has been cut ANOTHER 5k gallons.
With the cut backs, even with leasing 2 shares (own 2) I don't think I will have enough water to even try keeping lawn green.
Watering the garden and keeping trees alive will use up all the water.

xjtony

Same here. I plan on watering our little backyard and trees. My neighbor is rocking in almost all of his 1.5 acres because the shares get cut so often. We conserve as much of our 2 shares as we can on years like this.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
With the cut backs, even with leasing 2 shares (own 2) I don't think I will have enough water to even try keeping lawn green.
Watering the garden and keeping trees alive will use up all the water.

Same here. I plan on watering our little backyard and trees. My neighbor is rocking in almost all of his 1.5 acres because the shares get cut so often. We conserve as much of our 2 shares as we can on years like this.
I'm just trying to get my Revive and fertilizer watered in. This little bit of rain tonight helped. We'll be cutting out some front lawn an maybe half of the rear this year in place of rock. We'll still have to supplement city water for the back yard to keep it alive.

Houndoc

We only landscaped about the equivalent of a 1/2 acre lot out of the six acres. At times thought about doing more in the front but glad I didn't.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm taking care of one neighbors lawn this year and the other neighbor is still watering 3 times a day. I need to go over and offer to help him adjust his timer in case he didn't know how to do that... To a certain extent I could understand his excessive watering last year with him getting his yard installed but this year it needs to stop. The guy I'm helping with his lawn logged into the app that controls his irrigation controller on my phone so I've got the control now to run it when needed rather than excessively. Before he did that I told him he could water every four days.

I'm playing with plant growth regulators (t-nex) this year on the lawn. The idea is that the PGR limits top growth while encouraging side and tillering growth. The tillers are the rhizomes that spread underground to help fill in an area in kentucky blue grass. It helps with how often you have to mow (like once a week rather than twice a week) as well as issues discoloring in the heat of the summer apparently. You apply only a little of the PGR by spray diluted in water and when you re-apply depends on ambient temperature. I've got an app that calculates my application dates based on the daily temps and forecast. I'm putting down 0.2 oz pgr per 1000 sqft of lawn. The gallon jug was like $150 so I calculated it out to be $1.17 per oz. So with my 3500 sqft lawn I'm spending about $1.60 every couple weeks. Most guys add iron to the cocktail too which makes for a nice deep green leaf. I've got a 4 gallon battery powered backpack sprayer that I use to spray. I target 1 gallon of water (with the different mix ins) per 1000 sqft and have gotten pretty close to being able to walk and spray at that rate. A little more practice and I should be dialed in.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm taking care of one neighbors lawn this year and the other neighbor is still watering 3 times a day. I need to go over and offer to help him adjust his timer in case he didn't know how to do that... To a certain extent I could understand his excessive watering last year with him getting his yard installed but this year it needs to stop. The guy I'm helping with his lawn logged into the app that controls his irrigation controller on my phone so I've got the control now to run it when needed rather than excessively. Before he did that I told him he could water every four days.

I'm playing with plant growth regulators (t-nex) this year on the lawn. The idea is that the PGR limits top growth while encouraging side and tillering growth. The tillers are the rhizomes that spread underground to help fill in an area in kentucky blue grass. It helps with how often you have to mow (like once a week rather than twice a week) as well as issues discoloring in the heat of the summer apparently. You apply only a little of the PGR by spray diluted in water and when you re-apply depends on ambient temperature. I've got an app that calculates my application dates based on the daily temps and forecast. I'm putting down 0.2 oz pgr per 1000 sqft of lawn. The gallon jug was like $150 so I calculated it out to be $1.17 per oz. So with my 3500 sqft lawn I'm spending about $1.60 every couple weeks. Most guys add iron to the cocktail too which makes for a nice deep green leaf. I've got a 4 gallon battery powered backpack sprayer that I use to spray. I target 1 gallon of water (with the different mix ins) per 1000 sqft and have gotten pretty close to being able to walk and spray at that rate. A little more practice and I should be dialed in.
NERD!

I love it. 😍

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I think I'll be able to get my sprinkler system running again in a couple weeks, with my cement work I'm going to be close to just starting over from scratch. Went into Home Depot and I'm a little shocked how the PVC aisle has shrunk. it used to be a whole aisle now it's maybe a half aisle. Has the world gone to Poly pipe and saddles? I'm not opposed to that was just kind of thrown off by the lack of PVC joints.
Does anyone have a sprinkler head they prefer? (and reason they prefer it)?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think I'll be able to get my sprinkler system running again in a couple weeks, with my cement work I'm going to be close to just starting over from scratch. Went into Home Depot and I'm a little shocked how the PVC aisle has shrunk. it used to be a whole aisle now it's maybe a half aisle. Has the world gone to Poly pipe and saddles? I'm not opposed to that was just kind of thrown off by the lack of PVC joints.

I've had good luck with Orbit sprinklers. Lawnmowers munch them but other than that, the are pretty solid.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I got my main line repaired. I wanted to use a compression joint for this repair but I couldn't find the right one after visiting 5 different stores. Home Depot was severely out of stock.

20007865-02BA-4583-9BAF-9E0AE4D02F29.jpeg

I like to use the Orbit roto heads if it is a larger area.