Let's Talk Lawns

Bart

I've been using the IFA system, but picked up some Scotts Weed and Feed yesterday because of this thread. I applied it last night so we'll see if it makes a difference. I picked up some Revive also, but decided to do one at a time, so it will be going on in a few weeks.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I use "Green Pointe Lawn Care" for my spraying. I think I pay $275 per year for their service. I believe that's six applications. Last time I bought a bag of fertilizer to apply, it was over $30-35 and wasn't real effective. The spray guys have done good things for our grass with pre-emergent sprays and PH this and iron that.... I'm paying for a bit of knowledge and convenience but not that much that it's not worth it to me. I pay the bill and don't worry about whatever is going on in the lawn

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am keeping track of what I spend and it could be very likely that I will spend more, this year. As well as more time and effort. Although I would love to hand it off, I feel like I have gotten it so much better that I want to see this through.

That's what I love most about my yard work. It's a simple kind of labor, and you can see the fruit of that labor in a short amount of time. It's also drama free. Quite stress relieving for me.

Tomorrow or Friday I'm planning to apply weed N feed and Revive. While my lawn is quite green, I can see after mowing it that it's not retaining the water like it could. I also have some crabgrass to fight off.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Same here. I guess the only real way to get rid of it is to dig it up and re-seed that (tiny) area?

I'm going to do that for some funky creeping grass I have growing. Roundup, cut out the old sod and cut out some good sod that needs to have gravel where it lies and hope to have a good situation again :D

RogueJeepr

Here!
I also grow my front lawn longer. It helps retain shade/water and is greener. The neighborhood ducks like it too.
My neighbor likes to have his as short as possible and wonders why mine is greener while his burns up.
I raise my mower 3 slots on the front grass and back grass it gets lowered to make it easier to pick up bulldog bombs .

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I am a big lawn guy, but am still learning. I have been using the IFA mix, 2-4-d weed spray, and have a strategic watering plan. Thanks to this thread I picked up some revive last night and laid it down this morning. I will report back the results.

Tonkaman

Have any of you replaced a Stop&Waste valve.?
Looks like im digging a giant muddy hole tonight.
Very lame. :-(

Yeah I had the same problem last week. I found out I have the worlds stickiest clay mud hidden in my yard. It still hasn't dried out enough to convince me I need to finish the project...

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Good luck with the stop and waste. I have secondary water so mine is out front about 18" down, still not something I would like to tackle without shutting off the water.

I did the revive/Scott's Weed and feed this year, so far most my Dandelions look like they are dying, I still haven't turned on my water.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been lazy and just got my first shot of fertilizer down Monday after mowing between storms. I was disappointed that I had tall dandelions after getting back from Cruise Moab Saturday but know they'll be short lived. I also haven't finished weeding my whole yard and hope to get another big chunk of that done after work today.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I grabbed a bag of revive and I think it's helping but my lawn is normally in decent shape to begin with. Stuff smells like animal feed in the car and animal shit on your hands.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You can do revive at any time. It will help your lawn get the most out of the weed and feed.

I had to turn my water on last week. Then, it rained, of course. I've been 4 waiting weeks to get my weed and feed down, just because of timing issues.

With weed and feed in particular, you want to have at least 24 hours of no water after spreading it. 48 hrs is much better. The 24-48 hours without water will let the product burn the weeds a little, before it's all rinsed off into the soil as fertilizer.

You also want to spread it a couple days after mowing, so the weeds have a larger leaf to catch the product.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Today I hit my lawn with crabgrass killer and weed and feed. I had some left over, so I borrowed an idea from Joe @Teraflex, and donated it to the rental house next door. Here are the before pics. Actually, these are the 10 minutes after application pics. You can see the dandelions are already starting to wilt. Hopefully it will look amazing in a couple weeks.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I bought a couple bags of the Revive yesterday and lunch and made the mistake of leaving it in the car without the windows down while I finished my work day. That stuff stinks! I mowed tonight and then spread it out so we'll see how it does.