Let's Talk Lawns

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My sprinklers are on, though I'm only water at 50% and only 2 days a week.

2 weeks after my first revive treatment of the year, and my lawn is looking excellent.

It can be a stinky product, but you can water it in immediately after spreading it.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I didn't get my fertilizer spread until just after the rain stopped beginning of this week so I did run my sprinklers to wash that in but they aren't programmed to run automatically. I saw the forecast says rain Sunday and Monday so I didn't water in the revive. If we don't end up getting much rain I'll manually run the sprinklers but I'm not in a huge hurry for any super results.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That looks great. I love your house, too. I wish they still built them with that much character in them.

On your fence, spray a thin line of roundup at the base of it to kill the grass. It's much easier to trim it that way, without constantly hitting the chain link with the trimmer line.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My backyard really responded well to the weed N feed this year. I'm pretty happy with it, other than it needs to be rolled.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

How well does that roller work? My yard has lumps all over it. At first I thought it was all pine cones buried under the grass, but I got them all out finally.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Jeremy! The yard looks super lush. Really nice, man!

Thanks! That's my backyard, and I seeded it 2 years ago.

I need to post a picture of the rental next door. It's responded very well to my leftover weed N feed and crabgrass treatment. I mowed it last week. It had been at least 5 weeks since anyone else had mowed it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Today I hit my lawn with crabgrass killer and weed and feed. I had some left over, so I borrowed an idea from Joe @Teraflex, and donated it to the rental house next door. Here are the before pics. Actually, these are the 10 minutes after application pics. You can see the dandelions are already starting to wilt. Hopefully it will look amazing in a couple weeks.

It doesn't look amazing yet, but I mowed the rental next door last week. The weeds are effectively gone, and the crabgrass is certainly dying off. The discolored spots are where the crabgrass is. I'm quite happy to see that the weeds are not growing back.

Hopefully, it will continue to green up as the fertilizer does its work. I'm certain that this yard has never been fertilized.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Looks way better.

I have some burn spots after this last round of IFA weed/feed. Or, I assume they're burned spots since I didn't see weeds in the yellowed grass. Any ideas?

I will snap some pics, later.

I hadn't even noticed the spots until I mowed last night. They really showed up after I passed over with the mower.

They cold be a number of things, burned spots, grubs, dog pee.
In other lawn news, I bought a lawn aerator to pull behind my lawn tractor, and I'm very impressed with how well it's done on my yard. I have had to weight it down quite a bit the first few times, but it's already paid for itself IMO.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looks way better.

I have some burn spots after this last round of IFA weed/feed. Or, I assume they're burned spots since I didn't see weeds in the yellowed grass. Any ideas?

I will snap some pics, later.

I hadn't even noticed the spots until I mowed last night. They really showed up after I passed over with the mower.

They could be burn spots from the weed and feed if it was put down to heavily, or not watered in soon enough. It should recover and come back greener soon.

The first time I spread weed N feed on a lawn I messed up the settings on the drop spreader I used. After one pass, I realized I had put way too much down, so I adjusted the settings for the rest of the lawn.

Two days later the lawn had a single stripe of severely burnt grass. I thought I had completely ruined the lawn. A few weeks later, it came back, then it was the nicest, greenest stripe for the rest of the summer.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
They cold be a number of things, burned spots, grubs, dog pee.
In other lawn news, I bought a lawn aerator to pull behind my lawn tractor, and I'm very impressed with how well it's done on my yard. I have had to weight it down quite a bit the first few times, but it's already paid for itself IMO.

Do you have a link or specs to the one that you bought? I was thinking pretty hard about renting an aerator this weekend since I still haven't done it and we're supposed to get some rain still.

One interesting thing that may surprise Jeremy, the rider I bought from him was able to tow a utility trailer that weighed about 3000 pounds this morning. I filled it up with dirt and weeds in my back corner and didn't want to drive the car back there. I thought I'd give the rider a try and it worked great. I did a wheelie but as soon and I shifted my weight closer to the front it flattened out. I know it was 3k because I was over the weight limit at the dump and had to come back around after I had unloaded everything.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Do you have a link or specs to the one that you bought? I was thinking pretty hard about renting an aerator this weekend since I still haven't done it and we're supposed to get some rain still.

I don't, I just went down to sears and picked it up, I think its either 36 or 40" wide. was super easy to put together.