Let's Talk Lawns

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
My yard is finally getting to the point where I'm happy with it. The back yard had a spot that was difficult to keep green over the triple digit temperatures but this past week has greened up nicely.
9eafbbc81406a988f7425cc09c0d0b0c.jpg

My front yard is looking like carpet this year but I don't have a current picture of it. I still wish I would have ripped the front yard out and started over like I did the back yard from the previous owners half-assed work. I hate that they didn't keep the substrate down about 3" lower than the sidewalk and driveway before putting the sod down, now the sod is higher than the sidewalk and it drives me nucking futs.

Mike

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I like seeing people's progress with their lawns, but Nate, you are in a class of your own - completely off the deep end!
The real indicator of that is I watched a bunch of the golf tournament last weekend to lawn peep. My wife kept walking in and giving me dirty looks. I certainly don't golf and from what I understand it takes a particularly special type of golfer to enjoy watching it on TV.

ID Bronco

I love grass for kids, pets, whiffle ball games and cornhole tournaments. I never really get a thrill out of it but after mowing it yesterday (my wife just wouldn't go for it) I was happy how it looked afterwards. I am keeping the water in for a little bit longer but it's going to get a hard freeze the next few nights, not sure if I should drain it now or chance it. Anyone out there have any recommendations on when to drain/blowout lines? (I know, before they freeze)

20201006_171911.jpg20201013_165738.jpg

Coco

I gotta play and figure out more of the lawn stuff... My front yard has a couple dead spots that are driving me nuts, and the rear as well. Only issue is I got lots of tree to play and deal with too.

I started doing the IFA 4 step fertilizer, but since I bought in June, only was able to apply 3-4. Being a first time home owner/own yard worker, it is a new experience learning and making it your own.

ID Bronco

I gotta play and figure out more of the lawn stuff... My front yard has a couple dead spots that are driving me nuts, and the rear as well. Only issue is I got lots of tree to play and deal with too.

I started doing the IFA 4 step fertilizer, but since I bought in June, only was able to apply 3-4. Being a first time home owner/own yard worker, it is a new experience learning and making it your own.

When we moved in 16 years ago the entire lawn was dead and I cut down and removed about 22 trees. It was a mess. After a lot of work it is nice for us but would not win any awards. I focused more on nice grass than fancy landscaping because we have 5 kids and they have loved it over the years. It's worth the effort. I will say that sometimes hiring someone with the right tools/equipment is worth it. I leveled, disc'd and graded an acre with my EB (who says they can't be a farm vehicle) and a hand rake. Back then I had more time than money and did much of it by floodlight after dark, but now I'd never do it that way again. I know people say "low maintenance" yards are great, but to me usable is the main key. I can't do anything with rocks or bark, and mowing grass isn't that difficult or high maintenance.

Keep at it Coco, you'll be glad you did.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Spring is right around the corner and I have some prep work to do to my lawn. I don't bag my clippings and my front yard was looking pretty rough last year. I think it's time to dethatch my lawn, thin out the grass and open it up. My home is older and the lawn has a LOT of weeds, I've tried like hell to get rid of them with little to no luck. What I'd really like to do is thin it out before it starts growing again, drop some fresh seed and see if I can't liven up certain parts of my lawn.

I went ahead and purchased this dethatcher on Amazon, it has thousands of great reviews.

I'd really like to add a bagger to my riding mower, so I can clean up the remnants of the dethatching as well as leaves in the Fall. It would be nice to clean up yard clippings a handful of times a year.

20210307_105227.jpg

4x4_Welder

I was just thinking of this sort of thing, I'd like to do a deep dethatch on my yard, it's still not quite 100%. It was pretty much all dead when we moved in. I've been overseeding with clover, since that takes a lot less water, and also keeps the actual broadleaf weeds down.

Greg

Admin
The dethatcher arrived and I went right to work, it pulled up a lot of thick, old clippings and leaves. The remaining green grass is pretty impressive, this was just 3 days apart, no water. think I'll run it one more time, then drop some seed down.

20210308_155354.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We're facing a severe water shortage this year. We had a bad water year last year as well, but our irrigation allotment was just released for this year and it's 25% of a normal year. So my backyard won't get water this year. I only watered it 1 day per week last year and it didn't survive very well.

I'll probably be shrinking the size of my lawns and adding more rock.

Last edited:

RockChucker

Dethatching, plenty of recent rain, Revive, some grass seed and a couple bags of peat moss tossed down to help bring the lawn back to life and its looking great!

View attachment 137016
How do you like that electric jobber you picked up? Trying to decide on picking that up or just going and renting a power rake with flails from home cheapo. My big concern with the electric one is powering it. I would need at least 100’ cord to get to the nether reaches of my yard. And that might not even be enough.

Greg

Admin
How do you like that electric jobber you picked up? Trying to decide on picking that up or just going and renting a power rake with flails from home cheapo. My big concern with the electric one is powering it. I would need at least 100’ cord to get to the nether reaches of my yard. And that might not even be enough.

It worked great, no issues. It's quick and easy work to dethatch, but the real work starts when you clean up all the material pulled up! I had to use a couple extension cords together, decent sized yard here as well.

If I were closer, I'd let you borrow it!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a thatching blade I switch out on my push mower every few years when I feel like a good thatch. It seemed like a gimmick, but it fills up my catch bag really quick with dead brown grass.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I just dethatched my lawn last week. Neighbor rented the machine from Home Depot and 4 of us neighbors used it before it was returned. Did a great job and pulled out 2 full big green garbage cans full of dead grass. I just used my mulching lawn mower as a big vacuum to bag and dump into the trash