Let's Talk Lawns

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I think that's about 2 pallets. I bought from biosod last year and wouldn't buy it again from them. Sorry I don't have anything else to offer.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Looks like I need to add Revive to my arsenal. I saw it at IFA earlier this week, but didn't look into what it was.

I tore out my entire backyard last summer and rebuilt it with new sod. This year it came in looking fantastic, but around May/June developed some brown spots. I spot watered, and spot watered, and spot watered some more. Those spots turned into large areas of dead grass... For the first bit I figured it was the sudden heat. Fcking grubs. I nuked those a-holes 2wks ago and things are already starting to look better for the most part. I look forward to see what revive can help with in those areas, as well as just overall health of the lawn/soil.

My front yard has reacted surprisingly well to cutting down to 3 waterings per week, at 10min per zone (2 zones), and delaying for any rain storms we've gotten recently. It's looking thicker and greener. Stoked to see what Revive can do.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looks like I need to add Revive to my arsenal. I saw it at IFA earlier this week, but didn't look into what it was.

I tore out my entire backyard last summer and rebuilt it with new sod. This year it came in looking fantastic, but around May/June developed some brown spots. I spot watered, and spot watered, and spot watered some more. Those spots turned into large areas of dead grass... For the first bit I figured it was the sudden heat. Fcking grubs. I nuked those a-holes 2wks ago and things are already starting to look better for the most part. I look forward to see what revive can help with in those areas, as well as just overall health of the lawn/soil.

My front yard has reacted surprisingly well to cutting down to 3 waterings per week, at 10min per zone (2 zones), and delaying for any rain storms we've gotten recently. It's looking thicker and greener. Stoked to see what Revive can do.
Revive will definitely help. The grubs have hit my yard super hard this year. The front yard is recovering but the backyard may get tilled up and redone. I've been able to stick to two waterings per week this summer and things are looking better.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I've fought goat-head thorns the whole time I've lived in this house (3 years), but with the rain a couple of weeks ago there is a bumper crop of these things in my backyard. I've tried some lawn friendly sprays and even "yard clear" but they keep coming back. I have resorted to just pulling them, but I really don't want to invest hours doing that.

Is there a better, more effective way to get rid of goat-head thorns or keep them away all together?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've fought goat-head thorns the whole time I've lived in this house (3 years)...
Is there a better, more effective way to get rid of goat-head thorns or keep them away all together?

Gasoline. Seriously. Old gas. Kills them dead as Round Up. I use it when they grow on my gravel.
Problem is the seeds live up to 7 years dormant.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've resorted to hand pulling the goat heads because I want to get everything in the garbage can. If you just kill them and leave them the pokies stay too. I've tried real hard to just keep a close eye and pull anything growing quickly so they don't get to the nasty growth stage.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Our secondary water allotment will be as low as last year, which was barely enough to keep the lawns alive but not nice. I either need to completely redo my lawns, or switch to xeriscape.

It makes me sick to look at old pics in this thread of my once beautiful lawn. The tractor is gonna get some serious work this year.