Let's Talk Lawns

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Ill happily take my chances, I know how a water meter works and easily turn it back on the city can eat a bag of (insert illicit word here) before they shut off my water.
You do know the difference between secondary and culinary water yes?
Turning off culinary would be illegal.

We're in a drought, I can deal with brown grass. I'm just complaining of 1st world problems on the internet.

I was mearly whining that some of us are on restriction while others (not you certainly) continue merrily to water their sidewalks and driveways every night. Haha

If we all cut back a bit (which it sounds like you already are) then we survive the drought and we continue to farm our own food in Utah. Aaaand hopefully no repeat of 1930s dust bowl Grapes of Wrath situations.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I wouldn't worry about brown grass, it takes a few years to kill off grass. Saratoga Springs finally announced restrictions they just want a 20% cut is what I understood. I've been trying to get my grass to come back this year so I'm trying to do new grass with less water. I have been over watering to get the new seed going so I've started cutting back, will probably seed again in the fall after aerating.

Now if I could find something to kill morning glory instead of lawn I'd be set. ;)

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I wouldn't worry about brown grass, it takes a few years to kill off grass. Saratoga Springs finally announced restrictions they just want a 20% cut is what I understood. I've been trying to get my grass to come back this year so I'm trying to do new grass with less water. I have been over watering to get the new seed going so I've started cutting back, will probably seed again in the fall after aerating.

Now if I could find something to kill morning glory instead of lawn I'd be set. ;)

These guys will fix that morning glory right up

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’ve turned the lawn mowing duties over to my son.. but today I wanted it done a little better, so I did it.
Then I put the aerator on the mower and drug it around, and then I used the dethatcher. And then I mowed again.
I am amazed at how much the dethatcher pulls out. The pictures really don’t show it well. But I filled the mower bags at least twice as fast with the thatch as I did with the first mow.
DC151EC6-1375-4FCF-ADAD-40BD94C7B392.jpeg

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I’ve turned the lawn mowing duties over to my son.. but today I wanted it done a little better, so I did it.
Then I put the aerator on the mower and drug it around, and then I used the dethatcher. And then I mowed again.
I am amazed at how much the dethatcher pulls out. The pictures really don’t show it well. But I filled the mower bags at least twice as fast with the thatch as I did with the first mow.
View attachment 151472
I need to dethatch my lawn bad.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Spring is fast approaching and I want to start my back yard off on the right foot.

When do the lawn whisperers on here get started with spring prep and what are your tried and true methods?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Spring is fast approaching and I want to start my back yard off on the right foot.

When do the lawn whisperers on here get started with spring prep and what are your tried and true methods?
A crabgrass pre-emergent is a great idea right about now. A Revive treatment is also good to do now, as the lighter winter storms will water both products in nicely over the next two months.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
A good lawn in the spring is achieved by preparation in the fall. You did good in the fall so just mow it when it needs to be mowed.

If you felt like it you could run test cycles of your sprinkler systems and adjust as needed. I seem to always find a few heads that have moved over the winter and start the season spraying on the sidewalk or driveway. You're also looking for irregular spray patterns that might indicate you have boogers in the nozzles and need to be cleaned out.

You shouldn't need to put down nitrogen until late April or May. Hand pull weeds when you see them. Don't let dandelions go to seed. If your neighbors have a bunch of dandelions throw some weed and feed on their side of the property line at night or when they are gone to help your yard stay in tip top shape. (oh, I've done this several times.)

I'm neutral on aeration. For it to be worth it to me I think it needs to be plugged extra heavy and extra deep. Then I need to rake up the cores and backfill with sand. That's a lot of work though and the guy that drives all through the neighborhood isn't going to do that.

ID Bronco

So I had to have some well work done a couple of days ago and although I appreciate the water, the results to my lawn are disappointing. Yes it looks like crap since the snow just barely melted, but how should I fix the ruts? Should I get some good topsoil and fill them in, water it, let the grass fill in, then do it all over a gain until it fills in pretty level?

I'm open to solutions.

Attach files20230407_072928 (1).jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I had to have some well work done a couple of days ago and although I appreciate the water, the results to my lawn are disappointing. Yes it looks like crap since the snow just barely melted, but how should I fix the ruts? Should I get some good topsoil and fill them in, water it, let the grass fill in, then do it all over a gain until it fills in pretty level?

I'm open to solutions.

Attach filesView attachment 158706

You might try rolling it when it’s good and wet. That would smooth out the transitions.

I once read that filling with topsoil can only be done a 1/4” thick per application, or it just covers the blades and keeps them from growing through. I would use the finest dirt/sand you have access to.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I would do sand, type isn't important. I'd also wait until it's growing to do it.

If you want it to look better, faster do it in small doses. If you just want to drop sand once you can level it out but you might have to wait a long while for it to totally fill. Could be till fall depending on how the weather goes this year.

ID Bronco

I would do sand, type isn't important. I'd also wait until it's growing to do it.

If you want it to look better, faster do it in small doses. If you just want to drop sand once you can level it out but you might have to wait a long while for it to totally fill. Could be till fall depending on how the weather goes this year.
Thanks It will bug me until it's fixed, so I'll do small doses. The voles have wreaked havoc with it too.

jems07

I just completed my IFA step 1–maybe next year I will use Scott’s as I’ve met many people who love it.

After reading this thread I’ll also add Revive later today. My front yard needs it.

I also need 2-3 cu. Yards of mulch as about 50% of my yard is mulch and needs to be topped off each year.

Any recommendations on a place to rent a small trailer for the mulch?