Lexan windshields

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
I have heard about Lexan windshields that people have put in jeeps. Has anyone ever used one. Or know someone who has. I guess they scratch easly but you can't break them with a sledge hammer. I have a line on one for $80. The guy won't install it because they are not DOT approved and he would be liable, but it would be easy to put in.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
some racers use em. thats where they started.
rockstomper has em for sale. very pliable. He pop rivits in the windshield cuz toyota curves. he has a clip of him hitting it fairly solid and it don't care. Like he told me once...if you cover the edges with trim, hows the highway patrol ever gonna know if it's glass or plastic?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I believe the Rockstomper ones have a scratch resistant coating on top of the Lexan. Don't they call it speedglass, or something like that?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by RockMonkey
I believe the Rockstomper ones have a scratch resistant coating on top of the Lexan. Don't they call it speedglass, or something like that?

Yep. I believe it's the same stuff that NASCAR uses.

Terrible Paulsy

100% Evil Conservative
This stuff is pretty much indestructable. My bro in law owns a sign shop, and he had some there. For laughs he told me to try and break a smaller piece that he had. Can't be done!!! I tried a sledge hammer, a HUGE beater bar, folding it, driving over it folded. Nothing happend to it other than some scratches, and a white crease where i folded it. It was really cool to play around with. He even has this catalog that showed the effects of different gun shots to a 1" thick piece. Only one that made it all the way through was a solid slug from a 12 guage. I've heard that that is what the canopy of an f-16 is made from. I wonder why they don't use this stuff in vehicles now? Price? Scratch prone? At any rate, it would be cool to see it on a rig.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Yeah, the lenses in my spectacles have "scratch resistance coating" and I still cringe every time I wipe them. It's still plastic, I agree with running it on a trail rig, but you're waisting money if you want it on your DD.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by Jeremy
Yeah, the lenses in my spectacles have "scratch resistance coating" and I still cringe every time I wipe them. It's still plastic, I agree with running it on a trail rig, but you're waisting money if you want it on your DD.

Yeah, of course! Its still cool stuff though! :p