Toyota Lexus 04 GX470

Rock Taco

Guess I should post something now that I have made some progress on it.​
It’s a 2004 GX that I picked up locally after looking for several months for the right one.​
It was previously owned by an elementary school principal that took pretty good care of it.​
This is the day I brought it home.​
IMG_2715.JPG
IMG_2716.JPG
Not building anything to extreme, just something that can do some general exploration and mild trials in and around Utah.​
I started by removing the factory side steps and replacing them with SSO sliders and Asfir skid plates.​
I’m really happy with both. I was blown away with the pricing and quick delivery of the skidplates.​
IMG_2992.JPG
IMG_2993.JPG
D11C688B-52EB-40CD-BE38-C4D27C521F1B.jpg
IMG_2913.JPG
IMG_2912.JPG
IMG_2914.JPG
IMG_3072.JPG

Attachments

• D11C688B-52EB-40CD-BE38-C4D27C521F1B.jpg
    D11C688B-52EB-40CD-BE38-C4D27C521F1B.jpg
    627.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rock Taco

I hadn’t really planned on doing a roof rack right away but came across a great deal on a RTT so I ordered one from SSO. There also happened to be a great sale on them at the time as well so that made it a little easier to swallow.​
IMG_3125.JPG
IMG_3126.JPG
IMG_3123.JPG
I bought some wheels that have a little better backspacing and were in better shape. The factory ones were starting to have some corrosion issues. I picked up a set of factory 4runner Trail wheels but thought they needed a different finish.​
IMG_2981.JPG
I purchased Falken Wildpeak AW3 tires in size 285/75/17 and had them mounted after I coated them with pasti-dip (this was more to see if I liked the black on silver. looks like I might need to do a little trimming.​
IMG_3142.JPG
So I stuffed them in the back and headed to the Cruiser Outfitters customer appreciation BBQ.​
IMG_3143.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2981.JPG
    IMG_2981.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Rock Taco

At the BBQ I picked up some items from Kurt to get those tires to fit. I went with medium spring weight, and SPC upper control arms.

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/sus_GX470.html

IMG_3148.JPG

@mesha was kind enough to give me a hand and let me use his flat driveway to get the install completed.

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

The tires do rub in the front while turning and I still need to get an alignment. I'll be working on those this week.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

Looks great! Is the front rubbing something easy to fix? Little hammer work, or trimming...?

Thanks!

Yes, It should just be some trimming plastics, maybe bending the pinch
weld back. Worst case should be chopping the body mount behind the front tire. I haven't stuffed any tires just yet so I'm planning on doing more than needed for the current known issues.

Rock Taco

So far I really like it. I’ve only had all the parts I replaced in the back for weight. It rides more like a truck than it did previously (it is a Lexus) but it’s not harsh with the weight I had in the back. I took a couple of speed humps at about 25 with it loaded and it felt secure and planted.

You're welcome to give it a drive if you would like.

Rock Taco

Nice build. I love the look of the GX and they are really capable. These guys are local and have awesome sliders too https://www.rocky-road.com/gx470-rock-sliders.html

I didn't even know they were in Utah. Im happy with my SSO sliders.

Looking really good Troy, I love it! I've been so pleased with my OME/SPC setups in my past rigs. I'm considering the same setup for my tundra.

Thanks Steve your 4runner build inspired me to want something a little nicer.

Thanks