Toyota Lexus 04 GX470

Rock Taco

So I've been playing around with this on a few trips some wheeling (Moab, Newfies, Henry Mountains) and some road trips (Washington state, KOH) and its been great. I really don't have any complaints except I wish it got a little better gas mileage but I knew what I bought so I'm not gonna complain about that too much.

I've got some recent parts purchased just waiting to be put in as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

ARB Twin Compressor mounted to a Rago Fab compressor mount.

Switchpro Controler to operate the rigid pods I've had mounted for awhile and to control the compressor as well. Long term it would also control a locker or two and additional exterior lights.

I also picked up a modern stereo for it. Ill be ditching the tape player and trusty cassette adapter to listen to my phone. Ill finally have blue tooth and a back up camera and music and videos stored on an external hard drive. Several GX owners have had good luck with this 9" display and touch screen with android. I am hopeful it will work out well. My hesitation was because I have never bought from a Chinese web site before but it shipped pretty quick and arrived faster than I thought it would. It wasn't to expensive so if it doesn't work out i wont be to disappointed.

I just ordered today a mobile Ham radio to supplement my Yaseu FT-60 handheld. I ordered a Kenwood TM-D710G with an external speaker and a Larsen 1/2 wave antenna. I think I have everything I need for this.

I'll make sure I post in here as I get these items installed.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

Anyone in SL/Utah county have a break with a 24" min mouth to bend some 1/4' aluminum? It already has a bend in it but it needs a bit more.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

I picked up a bumper from Addicted Offroad for my GX. Im pretty sure its the same bumper for a 4th gen 4runner as the mounts are the same on the 120 platform for toyota. Addicted suggests cutting the factory bumper to fill the gap at the top (@Coco did his this way) Im thinking of welding on some steel to fill the gap. Anyone want to share their opinion which they think would look better? The gap is about 2-1/2" I attached some pics of @Coco's as well.

This is also the reason for the 24" break I asked about above, I need to bend my skid plate a little more to fit under the addicted cross member.

WIN_20190610_21_13_24_Pro.jpgWIN_20190610_21_13_30_Pro.jpgWIN_20190610_21_13_36_Pro.jpg
WIN_20190610_21_16_30_Pro.jpg
coco.jpg
coco-1.jpg

Caleb

I definitely think it looks better with the bumper cut to fill it in.

I have to say that I hate that all the Toyota bumpers are this way (Tacoma and 4Runners as well). I didn’t realize this when I bought an ARB bumper for my Tacoma and ended up selling it because I couldn’t bring myself to cut up my factory bumper incase I ever wanted to go by to stock.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Unless there's some reason to keep the plastic intact, I vote cut the stock stuff. Welding steel won't ever be as tight-fitting, plus it's more work. :)

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Cut the plastic. Steel won't look right IMO, and it'd be a TON of work to make it look even half decent.. Oh, and give yourself some space between the bumper and fenders... You'll end up squishing your fenders otherwise.

Caleb

Cut the plastic. Steel won't look right IMO, and it'd be a TON of work to make it look even half decent.. Oh, and give yourself some space between the bumper and fenders... You'll end up squishing your fenders otherwise.
Yeah, I’ve seen a few bumpers that have the steel filling in and it never looks right, it ends up looking too bulky.

Rock Taco

You doubt my abilities? That's Ok me too. haha

As far as space goes I'll have to see if there is any room for adjustment but I dont think it will sit any lower. Worst case those are just the flares and most I have seen have been tight like that.

Unless there's some reason to keep the plastic intact, I vote cut the stock stuff. Welding steel won't ever be as tight-fitting, plus it's more work. :)

Not really a reason. Just not sure how well the plastics will stay on. It was supposed to come with some gorilla tape but I received none.