Lexus GX 470 Built for Fun

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
At this point would you consider using something like Lucas Power Steering stop leak? I know any additive is highly controversial, but if it's already on its way out...

Remember that the rack isn't the only part of the power steering system - you could risk nuking a pump with something like this. I have no experience with that particular Lucas product, or even any PS system "fixes," but how can a product stop leaks (prevent fluid flow...) in a fluid system and not be bad for it?

Troop92

Remember that the rack isn't the only part of the power steering system - you could risk nuking a pump with something like this. I have no experience with that particular Lucas product, or even any PS system "fixes," but how can a product stop leaks (prevent fluid flow...) in a fluid system and not be bad for it?

I understood it more to be like a seal conditioner, that kinda thing. I used it in my '92 Trooper for a year, it slowed (not stopped) a leak at the pump. I'm not saying use it, just wondered what he was planning to do. ;)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Damn on the brake master cylinder. It's actually a common issue on the LC100/LX470 but can be fixed for $50-100 :eek:

Did you test yours? Low pressure or bad electric motor?

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Damn on the brake master cylinder. It's actually a common issue on the LC100/LX470 but can be fixed for $50-100 :eek:

Did you test yours? Low pressure or bad electric motor?

It was the electric motor. I might have it fixed and then keep it or sell it to recover some of the cost.

On the additive for the rack, I'm just going to wait and see how bad it gets and replace it next year if it can wait that long.

Jesser04

Have you gone on any extend trips with your GX yet? I just spent 2000 miles in our gx460 and I love it! My only beef is the tranny it always wants to stay in high gear I assume this is to get the best mpg which works till you are climbing any hills with the cruise on. Coming from San Diego to Slc every time I'd hit a hill it would shift from 6th to 4th and take off like a rocket and then shift back to 6th and 30 seconds later do the same thing. I finally figured out the cruise will still work in manual mode which made it much better. Other than that the GX is the best vehicle I've ever owned nothing better than a small suv with v8 power. On a side note my Chevy truck is like driving a wagon now.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Have you gone on any extend trips with your GX yet? I just spent 2000 miles in our gx460 and I love it! My only beef is the tranny it always wants to stay in high gear I assume this is to get the best mpg which works till you are climbing any hills with the cruise on. Coming from San Diego to Slc every time I'd hit a hill it would shift from 6th to 4th and take off like a rocket and then shift back to 6th and 30 seconds later do the same thing. I finally figured out the cruise will still work in manual mode which made it much better. Other than that the GX is the best vehicle I've ever owned nothing better than a small suv with v8 power. On a side note my Chevy truck is like driving a wagon now.

No, I haven't had a chance to wheel it yet. I can't keep the damn thing reliable yet. More lights this weekend. I cleared them, and I'm waiting to see if they come back on. I'm trying to get it reliable enough to take a trip.

It's a nice enough vehicle, I just don't trust it yet.

sixstringsteve

I got to ride in this last night, and I really dig it. Of all the rigs I've had, my v8 4runner was one if my favorites. This had some nice features that I wish my runner had.

Even though it hasn't been much fun so far, I hope this proves to be a fun and reliable rig for you.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Update time... Had a great run up Miller Hill yesterday with Expedition Utah doing trail maintenance. The GX performed better than I thought it would, and helped me warm up to it a little more.
A few thoughts I had were:
-If I were to crawl in this, I need lower gears.
-I would like more lift in the front. I didn't hit anything that I know of, but more altitude would be comforting.
-I want armor. I was super cautious driving, and only heard one big contact (don't know where I hit), but I will be doing bumpers, sliders, and better skid plates.
-I want to figure out a quick disconnect for my front sway bar. I think it would have helped in one place climb better.
-I want a locker in the rear, maybe the front. It did well enough, and unless I can find a way to fit 35's or 37's, it won't ever be a serious crawler, but a rear locker would give me more piece of mind.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's because I started out with low expectations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Glad to hear it's doing well did you figure out what's causing the dash lights to come on?

In my opinion 35s or 37s would kinda defeat the purpose of a rig like this. It'd look cool, but it would suck around town, on the highway, and it'd be weak offroad. I think the more you drive it the more you'll learn it's limits. As is, I'd take it on hole in the rock, Hell's (if you added sliders), elephant hill, golden spike, steelbender, and trails like those.

I love this rig.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Glad to hear it's doing well did you figure out what's causing the dash lights to come on?

In my opinion 35s or 37s would kinda defeat the purpose of a rig like this. It'd look cool, but it would suck around town, on the highway, and it'd be weak offroad. I think the more you drive it the more you'll learn it's limits. As is, I'd take it on hole in the rock, Hell's (if you added sliders), elephant hill, golden spike, steelbender, and trails like those.

I love this rig.

Thanks! No, I haven't dug into the new dash lights. I replaced the gas cap, but that isn't it, so I carry a obd2 scanner and clear the codes when the lights come back on. I'll dig into it in July when I have a Saturday to chase it down.

35's would be nice, but you're right, this will never be a serious crawler, so that's why I listed it last. It's a dream, but I'll ultimately get a CJ for the serious stuff.

I'm looking forward to taking this to Moab in October. Sliders are a possibility before that trip, but bumpers are on tap for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncg48GX

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but could you tell me what size OME lift you went with? I'm getting ready to run 285/70/17s and trying to decide if I should go with the 2.5" or 3". Did you have to do any cutting?

Thanks!

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but could you tell me what size OME lift you went with? I'm getting ready to run 285/70/17s and trying to decide if I should go with the 2.5" or 3". Did you have to do any cutting?

Thanks!
You will more than likely need a cab mount chop to clear the 285s no matter what lift height you go with. I would do the 2.5" if it were me these suspension setups have almost no down travel and to get 3" of lift your running that shock almost all the way extended during normal driving.

uncg48GX

You will more than likely need a cab mount chop to clear the 285s no matter what lift height you go with. I would do the 2.5" if it were me these suspension setups have almost no down travel and to get 3" of lift your running that shock almost all the way extended during normal driving.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to go with the 2.5" OME and probably new UCAs.