Liar liar pants on fire !

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Well I guess I need to find full length welding apron. Over the weekend I was welding and felt my knee getting warm, I looked down and saw that my Levis were burning. Luckily the burn spot was only around an inch and a half and I was able to put it out quickly before it got worse. Unfortunately I have a matching brand on my leg now. I have seen welding aprons but most don't go down the legs all the way. Anyone know who makes a good full length set ? I have a good leather welding jacket but it does nothing from the waist down.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I bought a welding apron many years ago directly from the weld supply shop. They are leather and have seen many pieces of slag. I'd look at your local weld shop for something.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I've never been into the welding leathers. I find that normal coveralls are pretty fire resistance and have had pretty good luck with them. I have managed to catch them on fire, but only when grinding and having the sparks go directly into them. I have developed the habit now of standing in such a way that the sparks miss me for the most part.
You could go all out and buy FR coveralls, but they loose their protectiveness after a few washes so not really worth it.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Air gas has a bunch of stuff. I've burned myself in some too close to sensitive places. Hence the full leathers I wear If I need to.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I burned the crap out of my leg this Summer while doing some welding... had some slag drop and land on the shorts I was welding in. :skeptic: The slag melted right thru and now I have some mean looking scars just inside my knee cap. It was hotter than hell when I was working, but made me think about a long apron to go with my welding jacket. I think an apron would be cooler than full leather pants/chaps and easier to put on & remove when needed, help protect sensitive lower parts and keep one from setting themselves on fire. BTDT!

Let us know if you find a good apron!

4x4_Welder

The best casual protection you can have is to make sure there aren't any frayed spots, and starch your pants. The sparks will bounce right off.
You can get full FR coveralls, but they are not cheap and need to be washed by a special process.