Jeep Liberty Transmission

stimmie

There's a guy here locally that is selling his 2006 Liberty. He thinks it has about 160k on it. He, or his niece, was told by Tracy's in Heber that it needs a new transmission. Looking at it tonight it seems that it's been sitting for well over a year now. I've found a few places online that say that this transmission had issues with software and can be misdiagnosed as a bad tranny. Is that the case? Another thing I've been told is the coil springs are prone to cracking if a liberty sits unused for an extended period of time. Any comments/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Coil springs probe to cracking if not used? With only a bit of physics experience I can say that there is no science to back that up.

My sister-in-law bought an 05 liberty that had the trans go out just a few days after she bought it. The dealer put a new junkyard rebuild in under warranty and it's going strong 2 years later. It's not a bad trans per say we think the previous owners cracked a line to the transcooler and ran it dry once and cooked the clutch pack.

I'd say go for it if you can get it for cheap enough. I'd totally DD a Liberty, they're fun little beasts.

stimmie

I bit the bullet and bought it. At the price I couldn't pass it up. It's a fully loaded 06 Liberty Limited with the V6. Trans has a lot of metal shavings in the pan and in the filter. Aluminum shavings. I'm going to rebuild it most likely. Unless my wife decides she wants to sell her car and drive this KJ. But I don't see that happening. For sure it needs the following: Transmission and trans cooler, tires, grille, grille mount, front bumper, and a plastic hinge cover on the rear window. I started it when I got it home. Seems to run smooth. Has 142K on it. The guy thought it was closer to 160k when I purchased it, so another win for me.

Here's a few pictures of it at the guys house and a picture of the stuff inside the transmission filter.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FenCbJogNog2iTHi-SIOkLl7bWzPvq-P

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Don't quote me, but I don't think any of the wear items in a typical auto transmission are aluminum...are they? Aluminum shavings make me think that something is eating away at the case.

stimmie

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I'm in no rush to get this thing going, so I'll be taking my time and inspecting it all as I tear it apart. Doesn't cost anything to tear it down, then when it's torn down, I can decide which rebuild kit to get or go with a junkyard transmission. Until it warms back up I'm not doing a thing on it. 28 for the high today in Roosevelt.... far too cold to work on it outside.. about froze my fingers off Monday night when I was taking the pan off and cutting open the filter.