License to tow/pull?? Attn JeepinJoe

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I was talking with my dad this weekend and he told me that recently he tried to pull my bro out of between the freeway and a cop told him to move along or he would get a ticket. My dad asked what the ticket would be for and the cop informed him that he needed a license to get someone unstuck. I have pulled numerous people out of snow/mud/ditches and had cops stop and put on thier lights for me and they have never said a thing to me about needing a license to pull someone out of them.

Is this a ploy to get tow truck companies money or what? I would have asked what would be more expensive, the ticket or the tow fee. My bro got charged 150 bucks and had to wait 2 hours after the cop sent my dad home for the tow truck to show up. When the truck pulled up it just hooked up to the car and pulled it out with a strap like my dad was going to do.

:confused:

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
that's the biggest load of bull i've ever heard....i've read through perty much all the state laws applying to vehicles and seen nothing like that....

JeeperG

I know Years ago "Ogden Autobody" was paying the cops to send them business. If you have ever been a "tow truck driver" you know they go in rotation and try to hit every tow company equally.

JoeT

If it's on a highway/freeway then it has to be pulled/towed by a towtruck. It's not the cops but UDOT I believe that says so. Now the company that I worked for was on rotation with UHP and several other cities in the south end. We didn't pay to be on rotation, you just have to meet their standards. I would of waited till the cop left and pulled him out myself. :D It's a safety thing. FYI UDOT is the one that comes out with the rates that towtrucks can charge. Trying telling a guy that the tire you just changed cost him $110 because you were called out by S.Jordan Police. :eek:

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I figured there had to be some truth to it but I would have taken my chances with the ticket. It was the middle of the night so 2 hours would have been like 24 hours if you are waiting. From what I understand the cop stayed there with his lights on. The traffic was terrible at 1 AM on the Freeway next to Honeyville. :rolleyes: My bro said a few guys stopped and tried to help but the cop waved them away.

So what is more expensive? The ticket or the tow fee? You don't happen to know do you?

JoeT

PierCed_3 said:
I figured there had to be some truth to it but I would have taken my chances with the ticket. It was the middle of the night so 2 hours would have been like 24 hours if you are waiting. From what I understand the cop stayed there with his lights on. The traffic was terrible at 1 AM on the Freeway next to Honeyville. :rolleyes: My bro said a few guys stopped and tried to help but the cop waved them away.

So what is more expensive? The ticket or the tow fee? You don't happen to know do you?
I'm guessing the ticket. The driver can legally charge $110 minimum, but it was 1:00 am so that's why it was more. People would call us at 2-3 am and expect to only pay $35 for a tow that was 30 mins away from us. Yeah right. you have to take in location/time/weather and what kind of mood is the driver in.

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
PierCed_3 said:
...So what is more expensive? The ticket or the tow fee? You don't happen to know do you?

The tow would be cheaper than the a) ticket for attempting to pull + the tow; or b) ticket for attempting to pull + bail for continuing to attempt to pull + tow + possible impound

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
This is all just crazy to me I guess. I have pulled numerous people out of stuff this winter including on the freeway. I have had cops actually stop and put their lights on for me. Never have I heard about this. What do you have to do to get this license so I can pull/tow.

V-DAWG

someday
JeepinJoe said:
I'm guessing the ticket. The driver can legally charge $110 min, but it was 1:00 am so that's why it was more. People would call us at 2-3 am and expect to only pay $35 for a tow that was 30 mins away from us. Yeah right. you have to take in location/time/weather and what kind of mood is the driver in.

BS......or just a typo? $110 a min or an hour?

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I thought it might be minimum... I didn't think it could be a minute. That would be a job worth having if that were the case. ;)

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
A couple years ago I was driving on I-215 in a snow storm and pulled over to help a guy out. There was a HP with a strap hooked to his car, and of course he couldn't get the guy out. So the officer hooked it up to my truck and I pulled the other guy out of the median. :confused:

JoeT

Meat_Popsickle said:
The tow would be cheaper than the a) ticket for attempting to pull + the tow; or b) ticket for attempting to pull + bail for continuing to attempt to pull + tow + possible impound
Didn't think about bail or impound. :eek: It can depend on the cops also. Now I know that UDOT comes up with the rates, but maybe it's up to UHP on if a tow truck or anyone can pull them. Guess it's up to what the cop wants to do. To become a licenced tow truck driver you have to jump through all sorts of hoops. Like a impound yard (gated), insurance, health card from the state, tow truck has to have certain items on it. Now I don't know if you can just do pulls and not tows. That would be interesting.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Where would I look to find out if I can get a "pull" license? Doesn't seem like it's a big deal but in the case that someone needs help I want to be able to provide some assistance. I didn't buy this winch for nothing :).

JoeT

PierCed_3 said:
Where would I look to find out if I can get a "pull" license? Doesn't seem like it's a big deal but in the case that someone needs help I want to be able to provide some assistance. I didn't buy this winch for nothing :).
Try UDOT first.