Life Hacks; Job & Respect

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I like this kind of stuff... a friend (Kha Ly) posted this on FB and I thought it was worth sharing here.

How to Interview like a S.T.A.R.

Because to get the job these days, you need to be a Shining S.T.A.R.
The S.T.A.R. Method is essentially to organize information about yourself in a highly digestible way.
There’s just very limited time, high stakes, and a lot of information that has to be presented and analyzed when going for that job! The S.T.A.R. technique is a way the applicant can package the information in a very effective way to make it easy for the interviewer to assess whether this is the right person!

The S.T.A.R. Method
At the end of the day, an Interview is just a way of taking your work experience, life, background, and personality and tying it up into a neat little package. You’ve got to give your interviewer as many data points that they can use to evaluate you as possible.
The key is to package that information into a series of tiny stories that accentuate how good you are at your job. The S.T.A.R. Technique, which stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result, is your outline for doing just that.

Situation:
Clearly explain to your interviewer a previous situation that was relevant to the question they asked you. Set the scene for them with sparing, yet revealing details. For instance, “I was on a tight deadline for a project a year ago — we had to get X project out before X time.”

Task:
Go into more detail about what actually needed to get done.
“I had to put together X number of slides or make X number of phone calls.”
Action:
Here is where you flex. How did you solve that problem?
Result:
Now, mention all the good things that happened because you took action. Tie up the story with a bow.
Essentially, this is a Method of Storytelling where you get to incorporate your past experience, demonstrate how you solve problems, and show rather than simply tell your interviewer that you’re an effective pro. That’s far more data to work with than a line on a resume.
The S.T.A.R. Method is also key to Personal Branding and Sales of Products and Service.
LEARN IT!!!!!

Sixteen Smart Habits that will Train People to Treat You With Respect
Most of these are small, subtle changes in behavior, but they can have a big impact on how much other people respect you.
What do people want out of work? More than money, more than benefits, much more than job security, a recent survey says, they want to be treated with respect.

If that sounds like you, how can you increase the respect you get each day at work? It turns out that there are specific habits you can cultivate that allow you to train the people you work with to treat you respectfully each day.

1. Speak up.
You won't get the recognition and respect you deserve unless you make your voice heard. We start with this--training yourself to speak up--because every other habit on this list depends on your deciding that you are worthy of respect to begin with.

2. Schedule all the time you need for yourself.
If you decide to follow the make-your-own-appointment strategy in No. 3, it's crucial that you serve yourself first, by scheduling all the time you need for yourself first. Be ruthless, leaving only the leftovers for everyone else. Remember, you don't have to justify to anyone else what is on your calendar; you only need to claim your time for yourself first.

3. Set your calendar appointment default to 15 minutes.
Fifteen minutes is enough time for many interactions, but if you don't set a default, people will automatically schedule more time than they need. It's not an immutable restriction, of course; if your boss needs an hour, she can schedule an hour. But setting a default time encourages people to show respect for your time in a very practical way.

4. Learn and use people's names.
Moving on from your calendar, make it a point to learn and use other people's names. Doing so is a sign of respect to them, and something that will make them feel affinity for you. They'll also remember you and feel obliged to reciprocate (or else be really embarrassed).

5. Use titles.
Obviously, don't do this if it doesn't feel natural or appropriate, but if you don't know people well, try addressing them as sir, ma'am, Mr., or Ms., rather than by their first names. In general, conveying respect like this will set the tone and encourage them to respect you as well.

6. "Disagree and commit" (but use different language).
Jeff Bezos uses this "disagree and commit" language. You can use your own terms, but develop a reputation for reliability, even if you aren't sure about the plan you've agreed to execute. If you say you're going to do something, follow through.

7. Be willing to ask questions.
If you're going to commit your professional future to someone else's plan, respect yourself enough to ask a lot of questions about it. Let it be understood you aren't a pushover and won't sheepishly be led. Besides, how many times have you been in a meeting where someone asks a question and it turns out everyone else wanted to know the answer too?

8. Acknowledge others before speaking.
Show a little emotional intelligence by acknowledging how your contributions fit into the flow of a conversation. In practice, this means that if you have something to say, acknowledge whoever spoke before you. You'll garner their respect for giving them credit. (Example: "Excellent point, John, and it makes me think of something else we should consider ... ")

9. Say thank you.
A specific example of simple, basic politeness. It costs you nothing and sends a subtle signal. Again, it's also a defense against the lack of respect that blatantly impolite people inspire.

10. Say you're welcome.
This one has been a bit of an ongoing campaign for me, but if you want to inspire respect, say "You're welcome" rather than "No problem" or the like. "You're welcome" connotes that you've done something worthy of thanks--and thus that you are worthy of respect.

11. Stay in demand.
Be at the forefront of your industry. Make sure to nurture your connections--and to make more of them. You'll increase the quality of your reputation among the people you work with, and develop your expertise.

12. Have other options.
Having other options is part of what staying in demand is all about. It also bolsters your confidence to know you could be doing something else at any time; that confidence will shine through and impact the level of respect you receive.

13. Give good feedback.
Other people are just as self-conscious as you are, whether they hide it well or not. So offer good, constructive, positive feedback--even when it's not your official role. A short note after a colleague's presentation telling her what you thought she did well can inspire a lot of affinity and respect.

14. Negotiate.
Don't take the first offer--in anything that matters. Inspire respect by standing up for yourself.

15. Say no sometimes.
Set boundaries and abide by them. You'll encourage others to respect your boundaries as well.

16. Admit when you don't know.
Confident people are more than willing to admit when they don't know something, especially if it's something they need or want to know to do their jobs better. Being willing to admit and learn will inspire respect.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Good stuff. We use the STAR format a lot here at my job and it makes it way easier to condense a lot of info into a manageable package.
I have also started to use number 5 and 6 over the past few years. My BIL always says sir and it made an impact on me. It seems so much more respectful and I have seen how it affects the way others respond to him. Thanks for Sharing this Greg!