Lifting a boat trailer?

J-mobzz

I picked up an older direct drive ski boat and it sits really low on the trailer. For those not familiar with the direct drive you can’t raise the outdrive like an inboard/outboard boat so the prop and rudder are in a fixed location.

Looking around it seems that lift blocks are not really an item you can buy for trailers so I’m curious what your suggestions are for raising the trailer? I would rather not have to cut the spring and shackle hangers and weld on extended ones but I have to get this thing off the ground a few more inches.

B4095AE0-E5BE-4572-922C-828EF67F24FA.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It's that prop guard on the trailer that gets ya. How about a lift block on the spring perch? There's not really any twisting torque like with a driven axle.

J-mobzz

It's that prop guard on the trailer that gets ya. How about a lift block on the spring perch? There's not really any twisting torque like with a driven axle.
Yeah it is the prop guard for sure that drags. I’m thinking I just need to take some tube drill a hole for the spring pin and weld it to the existing spring perch. I can’t seem to find any blocks to fit the narrow trailer springs. Seems easier than dropping the spring hangers.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Yeah it is the prop guard for sure that drags. I’m thinking I just need to take some tube drill a hole for the spring pin and weld it to the existing spring perch. I can’t seem to find any blocks to fit the narrow trailer springs. Seems easier than dropping the spring hangers.

This, totally. Way easy. 1 3/4 wide springs?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That's what I would do.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My prop guard would drag every time I backed our boat onto our driveway. Other than that I never had an issue with how low they are. I assume you already have the trailer level? Maybe try dropping the tongue an inch or so and see how much that raises the prop guard up.

J-mobzz

I would just buy a slightly larger set of tires. I would not want to get too crazy with lifting the trailer as it will make getting the boat on/off much harder.
I actually did just order a new set of taller wheels and tires for it. Unfortunately it has to come up. It’s hang only a few inches of the ground. Load and unloading the boat won’t be an issue with it being a couple of inches higher.
Isn’t this an Offroad forum?? How has this conversation avoided a he obvious answer which is to put a full set of skids under that beeeotch
haha no joke I was pricing out some uhmw last night for just that

J-mobzz

My prop guard would drag every time I backed our boat onto our driveway. Other than that I never had an issue with how low they are. I assume you already have the trailer level? Maybe try dropping the tongue an inch or so and see how much that raises the prop guard up.
I’m sure you’re probably right. My rapid hitch is at the max 6” drop. I should probably just buy an 8”