Linking my Toyota pickup

chase3194

I have the chance to link my Toyota pickup with a 3 link in the front on 14 inch coilovers and triangulated 3 link with 14 inch air shocks for around 1200 dollars. I'm wondering if it's worth the money. I currently have 5 inch trail gear springs all around with dual cases and 37s and full width axles. I'm wanting more flex as well as capability I'm currently getting about 30 inches of flex and sold like more. I also sit pretty tall and I would really like to lower it to have a better center of gravity. My Truck is a 93 single cab. Any input would be appreciated

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
The biggest advantage of linking anything "in my opinion" :D is the lack of axle wrap.

I get so tired of watching my buddies idle up things and then having my leaf springs unload half way up a rock... :(

chase3194

Zukijames That's the exact reason why it's an option.i wouldn't be doing it otherwise. My cousin is giving me a really good deal on his coilovers and a friend is changing his build and giving me a good deal in his link setup

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

are you planning on driving it on the street? From what I hear, the TG 3-link rear is pretty unstable on the street (unsure which lift you're going with, just passing on what I've heard)

Last edited:

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
For that price chase I would DEF do it!!! The mechanical ability and adjustability of a link suspension is completely awesome and unless your on an extreme budget it will take your rig to the next level for many MANY years to come.

as for stability, that almost always has to do with your shocks tuning and swaybar setup vs the actual type of link configuration...shucks, I run upside down leafs with my rear links hahahaha :greg:.

Last edited:

chase3194

I am planning on doing a triangulated 3 link for the rear its very similar to a 4 link the upper link is like an A. What I've seen on a buddies rig it seems very stable. I would really like to be able to drive it on the street still, I just don't know how it would do with coilovers and air shocks.

chase3194

Will the rear have a pan hard or is it a wishbone .. I didn't see you mention it was a trail gear kit.

Yes it's a wishbone setup, that's a lot easier to explain than I was trying to earlier, I was looking on Google for a picture but everyone is running it backwards from how I will be running it. The upper link has one heim joint on the axle side and then 2 bushings on the frame side. The front is going to be a traditional 3 link setup

Rock Taco

So your talking about doing both front and rear for 1200 bucks? Thats a screaming deal. I have that much in just my front coilovers.

chase3194

So your talking about doing both front and rear for 1200 bucks? Thats a screaming deal. I have that much in just my front coilovers.

Yes that is correct. I would be doing a traditional style 3 link in the front with 14 inch coilovers and then a triangulated 3 link in the rear with 14 inch air shocks. I really would really like to have like 3 inches of up travel and the rest down travel. I have heard that is really difficult to achieve though. I want to be as low as possible

chase3194

3 inches of up travel is easy.. Much easier than being low and having 8 inches if up travel ?

why only 3 ?

Ps go for it it's cheap!

I just really want it to be as low as possible but still want to have plenty of down travel. I'm willing to tr in my fenders and wheel wells to achieve it. My truck currently is really tall and would like to just have that better stance and stability

zukijames

Low usually makes up travel harder to get then it does Down travel

anywho do this is cheap . I wishbone upper has very little roll resistance so I'd plan on a rear sway bar

chase3194

Low usually makes up travel harder to get then it does Down travel

anywho do this is cheap . I wishbone upper has very little roll resistance so I'd plan on a rear sway bar

I didn't even think of doing a sway bar. IWonder if I do 4 link in the rear if it will be more stable and won't need a sway bar. I woukd only need to buy an extra heim joint and bushing and 2 more tabs. What are you running on your buggy? Do you have lots of body roll

zukijames

2nd thing ever me and Skippy agree on!

my buggy had tons of body roll ( not tuned shocks, 8 inches of up travel front and 10 rear)

but now i stole the sway bar off the rear of my landrover! its soo much better! i wheeled with out a sway bar for years! now i will never go back!