Linux Resources???

Caleb

So, I'm really trying to learn linux, but not just plain old Linux...all command line :D there is no gui even loaded. So does anyone have any resources for linux in command line? I'm running Cent OS 4.0 (with Core 3). Right now I am trying to get it visible on the network. I can SSH into it and out from it but it doesn't even show up in my network choices. I assigned it a static IP but I can't connect to that IP, but I can ping that IP. Any suggestions? My other machines are a Mac running OS X 10.3.8 and a windows machine running XP. I have already installed Samba on the linux box.

Suggestions? :D

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
You may have installed the SMB service but did you configure it ? Did you run the service ? Your XP has a work group that has been assigned. DId you Put that info into your smb.conf ?

Just some suggestions.

Try this. http://us2.samba.org/samba/

Ive got Linux RH 6.2 and W2000 and ME all running on the network. Had to configure the SMB to run. but its all honkey dorey now. :greg:

Meat_

Banned
Supergper said:
...Any suggestions?...

Slowly back away..... return tomorrow and get GUI.

Sorry man, but every attempt I've made in that direction has left me crying. (equal parts sadness/pain/fear)

Caleb

Meat_Popsickle said:
Slowly back away..... return tomorrow and get GUI.

Sorry man, but every attempt I've made in that direction has left me crying. (equal parts sadness/pain/fear)

well, if I can learn command line then I am almost garanteed a very sweet job...I am determined to learn it...:D

I am actually getting the hang of it, I can now connect via http and/or ftp. One thing I am lost on is how the hell do you edit files? I know with a command line editor like joe pico or vi but NONE of them seem to be working for me...they all give me errors saying they aren't valid commands :confused: any help? No, I haven't configured smb yet, due to my question above :D

Meat_

Banned
I guess that's a good reason to learn it. :D I use pico in a shell (game server) often, but it just works...... If you get stuck too hard on something I know a few guru's I can hit up for answers.

Caleb

Meat_Popsickle said:
I guess that's a good reason to learn it. :D I use pico in a shell (game server) often, but it just works...... If you get stuck too hard on something I know a few guru's I can hit up for answers.

my bro's a genious at Linux...I just dont want to call him at 2:00 in the morning :D thanks for the help though...

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
JeeperG said:

You know I found out computer people like being called geeks because it means they are good at computers but hate being called nerds because it means they are good with computers AND suck with women. (According to my two bro-in-laws, ones a nerd and ones a geek but I won't say which is which).

Medsker

Pathos

Supergper said:
One thing I am lost on is how the hell do you edit files? I know with a command line editor like joe pico or vi but NONE of them seem to be working for me...they all give me errors saying they aren't valid commands :confused: any help? No, I haven't configured smb yet, due to my question above :D

which <filename> will tell you were in the path the proggie is IF it is in the path.

locate <filname> will show you all file with the name (might need to run updatedb & first to populate the db)

vi is usally a symlink to vim / elvis / etc...

take a look around in /bin and /usr/bin you SHOULD find one of em in there.

if all else fails grab the latest vim from
here

configureing Samba is EZ.... getting into making it a PDC with a LDAP backend can be a bit tricky tho.