Little Moab May 2nd

Pile of parts

It was great to get out and finally give the Jeep a test run. @I Lean, your bracket fabery is fantastic! Everything seems to work very well. Best part is, no more axle wrap/wheel hop. What a difference, coming from leaf springs. About the only modification I will have to make is to move the front, upper link on the axle side inward about 1/4" to 1/2". No issues on articulation but it did slightly hit the frame as I was bouncing down the dirt road. Fortunately, it's mounted on top of the truss/bridge so I'll just have to cut it off, slide it over and weld it back on. The control arm is packaged pretty tightly between the frame, driveline and exhaust but the little bit it needs to move should be ok. I may be able to cut the top mounting hole off of the bracket instead, as I have it mounted in the lower hole now. I think I'd rather slide it over and retain adjustability.

Beyond that, it will take some getting used to the feel of a link suspension and I think I need to get on some trails I'm familiar with for comparison before I start messing with pressures on the struts. From what I experienced yesterday, it was very floaty feeling and soft driving on the dirt road. However, I was very surprised at how stable it felt when I put it in a few precarious positions.

It was nice to meet everyone and put faces with names. I look forward to Wheeling with any of you again sometime. Thanks for posting pictures and video!

Gawynz

This was a fun day! @xjtony made a great call as Little Moab is perfect for a shakedown run, plenty of challenges for a range of levels and close to the trailer. It was good meeting folks and putting faces to names. It was definitely a bummer that @xjtony had issues with his rig, that was a rough start, but the dudes got an awesome attitude, grabbed the drone, spotted folks, and got some really cool videos, thanks man.

@Subarudude54 was looking good on that line and then all the sudden things slid and it got a little tipsy; not sure acting as an anchor point was the perfect situation to test out my new brake lines but they held up haha.

I'm an idiot and didn't realize @Pile of parts was the guy with the dope orange jeep until it was too late, after lunch at the trailer I ran back to catch up with him but missed him, he thought that I'd left so he headed out. We'll have to wheel together sometime though, your jeep looks great, I swear when you pulled into the parking lot I told my girlfriend, "I wanna wheel with that dude" haha.

My shakedown run went well, I'm very happy with the suspension updates, I'll include more detail in my build thread. One of the biggest reasons I updated the suspension was to get some droop to prevent bellying out so frequently; so the first thing I did off the trailer was found a square edged wall and it didn't lift a tire, similarly there is a steep/sharp break over at the top of that notch obstacle and I barely drug going through but never lifted a tire. I drove for a bit and then my girlfriend took the wheel as I spotted her through a few obstacles while I checked clearances and just watched the suspension work. So far so good, this week I want to tear it down a bit and just inspect for any issues.

Love this picture.
20200503_123643.jpg

20200502_111616.jpg

20200502_130033.jpg

Throughout the day I noticed this notch with a few black marks up it and kept telling myself it looked kinda sketchy, and that I didn't want to push it, etc. etc. I parked the buggy and was watching some Razor's play, and then I walked over to the notch and hiked up it, went back and forth in my mind and then finally said screw it and gave it a shot :rofl: . The notch isn't bad but it dead ends at a huge vertical wall, so you go up the notch then take a left up a less severe but still decent wall, then it tops out in a little off camber slightly exposed situation but it's not too bad. This issue is my buggy's a wide and long girl with not so tight steering ha. My first attempt I went up the notch centered, then tried to make the turn with zero chance, had to back down. Second attempt, I tried to get creative... headed up the notch cheating to the right, left side barely on wall, then I pulled my front end straight up on the big vertical wall, putting my front tire right through that bowl in the top right portion of the wall. Got pretty steep, lifted a tire at one point. Backed up a tad trying to get my front end left. Then I turned left, spun the tires slowly and slid the buggy around the corner (wish I could twin stick and front dig), it lined up really well and was able to finish the climb.

20200502_133821.jpg

20200502_132942.jpg

20200502_132957.jpg

Finally got the chance to hit up Bewilder on the way home, met @Cody while we were there, the beer and food was bomb! I really like the layout of this brewery.
20200502_190604.jpg

And had a frosty crowler boy ready to assist with getting everything put away. Really enjoyed this Fresh Sesh IPA.
20200502_185947.jpg

It was a good day trip, excited to get out again!