LJ stretch

LJTim

I thought I would post my recent project. I have gone about this in a completely non conventional way. Most who stretch their LJ's just extend the arms, and relocate any shock mounts necessary to accommodate the stretch. There was a brief moment in time that I gave up on the idea of stretching my jeep, so I went ahead and outboarded for longer rear shocks. That ruined my chance to go about it the way everyone else does. But I couldn't get the idea of moving that rear axle back out of my head. Maybe it is because I drag my rear bumper across every ledge on the trail that reminds me, I should have stretched it?

I decided to do it anyway. The unconventional part about it is I have actually chopped my frame, inserted a 5" section between the cut, and bobbed the rear 5" from the frame.

Here is the frame marked and drilled for plug welds.

Here's a look at the rear crossmember that will be chopped off.

Frame chop done.

Sleeve and insert test fit and welded (I'm still learning to weld, as you can see)

Cleaned the welds up a bit.

Inner fish plates added for extra peace of mind.

Bobbed the back and test fit the new bumper to determine bumper tie in bracket locations.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.JPG
    IMG_1202.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

LJTim

That's where she sits now. Getting the bumper and the back 4 body mounts positioned just right has been a super tedious portion of the project. I will hopefully be done in the next week or 2. Problem is I have a trip to New York next week. I doubt I'll be completely finished by then. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: SSR

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Nice job! I like your method of stretching it. What are you doing with your fuel tank? I have been contemplating removing the stock cross-member and moving the tank back.

LJTim

Nice job! I like your method of stretching it. What are you doing with your fuel tank? I have been contemplating removing the stock cross-member and moving the tank back.
The tank moves back with everything else. Everything attached to the back half all moves together, gas tank, gas filler, shocks, coils, suspension links (although I will be doing mid arm links in the future)

pkrfctr

Talk about non conventional method. Creative way to get around the shock issue. The 'regular' stretch was one of the easiest and best mods I did on the LJ, you're going to love it!

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Nice job and completely understand why you chose to go the unconventional way. I think it will work just as well and net the same result.

A couple of tips on sectioning if you ever decide to do it again. First I have found that cutting on an angle exerts less stress on the seam and secondly try to leave a slight gap between the joints and insert a piece behind the joint. I have plug (rosette) welded a piece prior and then slipped it into the open joint which works well. By leaving a gap in the outer seam and exposing the plate behind it allows you to get the weld fully fusion welded to not only either side but the piece behind resulting in a much stronger seam as you are tying three pieces together vs. only two being butt welded together. Nice job fish plating the inside, that is a nice added gusset that will definitely help as well.

Mike

LJTim

Nice job and completely understand why you chose to go the unconventional way. I think it will work just as well and net the same result.

A couple of tips on sectioning if you ever decide to do it again. First I have found that cutting on an angle exerts less stress on the seam and secondly try to leave a slight gap between the joints and insert a piece behind the joint. I have plug (rosette) welded a piece prior and then slipped it into the open joint which works well. By leaving a gap in the outer seam and exposing the plate behind it allows you to get the weld fully fusion welded to not only either side but the piece behind resulting in a much stronger seam as you are tying three pieces together vs. only two being butt welded together. Nice job fish plating the inside, that is a nice added gusset that will definitely help as well.

Mike
Thanks for the tips Mike. It has been fun, and definitely a new level of work for me. It's good to learn some more ideal approaches, if I ever do something similar again. I do have a slight fantasy to build a TJ for the kids to enjoy, so who knows?

astjp2

What short arms are you using? I just picked up mine from Core, Spence built them so I could use synergy DDB's. I am going to stick with short arms in the rear, I am considering doing the synergy mid arm for the front, once I get my HP44 built. Looks like you are having wayyyy too much fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 13

LJTim

What short arms are you using? I just picked up mine from Core, Spence built them so I could use synergy DDB's. I am going to stick with short arms in the rear, I am considering doing the synergy mid arm for the front, once I get my HP44 built. Looks like you are having wayyyy too much fun.
I currently have Tier 4 Core 4x4 short arms. I have a set of brand new JL control arms that I plan to use for the lowers, and I will build new arms for the uppers (triangulating the rear upper). So similar length to a Mid arm. I was unaware that Synergy made mid arms?

astjp2

I currently have Tier 4 Core 4x4 short arms. I have a set of brand new JL control arms that I plan to use for the lowers, and I will build new arms for the uppers (triangulating the rear upper). So similar length to a Mid arm. I was unaware that Synergy made mid arms?
No, Core will build them to a custom length and I will use the DDB's, about half the price of a set of Savvy mid arms. I dont need aluminum arms and I recognize Core's value and their ability to build what I want if I give them the lengths. Do you need the lengths of the Savvy arms to get a comparison?

LJTim

No, Core will build them to a custom length and I will use the DDB's, about half the price of a set of Savvy mid arms. I dont need aluminum arms and I recognize Core's value and their ability to build what I want if I give them the lengths. Do you need the lengths of the Savvy arms to get a comparison?
No. I have all the Savvy specs. Just using the JL arms I have because they were free, and the difference isn't big enough to bother me. that dude over at Unofficial Use Only has been using JK arms on LJ's with great success.

LJTim

Slow progress. But I finally got my rear body mount finished up. I got a little excited and started painting stuff, and remembered, I still need to weld a nut in the bottom of the frame for the rear bumper.118986