Location of Proving Grounds

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone have GPS coords for the start and end of Upper Proving Grounds in Moab? I can see the trail and the general area in my mind, but don't recall exactly where it was located.

I thought we discussed this not too long ago, but didn't find anything after a search.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I opened up google maps thinking I could pin point it but man I can’t find it... been a while

I know it was south of the dump and east of the hwy. Further northwest than the weird lake or reservoir there???

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I think I found it... This is for Upper Proving Grounds.

First obstacle:

Second obstacle:

Third obstacle (Star Gazer?):

Final obstacle:

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to draw a route on the Maps of the Google.

provinggrounds.jpg

Coco

I never had the privilege of running Proving Grounds, but it looked fun from the Reliance and similar videos of it. We did walk through it once before it closed, but that is all we did. I am curious though if it was to ever re-open how 'easy' it would be in modern built rigs versus back in the day rigs. With Area BFE closed, this would be a great option for the buggy guys.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Just gathering information for a friend, sounds like there might be some land designation changes and he's looking into what that could mean.

SILTA Land unless it was more recently sold as I recall. They (SITLA) were closing motorized access on some of their Moab parcels (Lions Back, Dump Bump, etc) to "increase the future real estate value of the property". Meaning if they closed it now they didn't have to worry about the ROW issues they dealt with when they sold the Strike Ravine/Helldorado property, which RR4W sucsessfully argued in court WAS a right-of-way.

Ironically BFE was purchased to prevent closures happening in that area and at current they have closed more property and routes including the county claimed road through the property, making Strike Ravine a bit of a jeapordy trail for access with their gates and signage.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
SILTA Land unless it was more recently sold as I recall. They (SITLA) were closing motorized access on some of their Moab parcels (Lions Back, Dump Bump, etc) to "increase the future real estate value of the property". Meaning if they closed it now they didn't have to worry about the ROW issues they dealt with when they sold the Strike Ravine/Helldorado property, which RR4W sucsessfully argued in court WAS a right-of-way.

Ironically BFE was purchased to prevent closures happening in that area and at current they have closed more property and routes including the county claimed road through the property, making Strike Ravine a bit of a jeapordy trail for access with their gates and signage.

@Metcalf