Locker now or Locker later?

P

pokeyYJ

Help, I can decide if I should spend the money to buy a Powertrax for my d35, or if I should wait a year or so when I would have a different axle. Do I need to be really worried if I lock the 35 with my 31's? Should I just lock the d35 and carry some spares? I don't think that I will be going much bigger than a 32 tire in the next year or two (no money). Is it worth the price to get the locker, and then buy another one when I do the 8.8. I would probably do an air locker in the 8.8 so I would be buying a locker anyways. Do you guys think that I would run into trouble with a locked d35?

P

pokeyYJ

I would do an ARB but 1. I have never set up gears before, that why I want a Powertrax so that I don't have to, 2. I don't want to buy the air compressor too, that things half the cost of the powertrax.

demon jeep

Banned
I have a lock right locker that will fit your YJ all it needs is spring and I can get those for you How does $100.00 sound I paid $250.00 for it and took it out in a week and sold the spring to someone that really need them so it has only seen the trail twice and your 4 popper will do okay with it. My 6 bagger was to much and I think my D35 houseing is jacked. You donnot need to set up gears with a lock right just take out your spider gears

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
But to be able to turn them on and wheel the crap out of then, and then flip em' off for a cruise at 65 on a snow-covered highway...priceless.:D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by demon jeep
I have a lock right locker that will fit your YJ all it needs is spring and I can get those for you How does $100.00 sound I paid $250.00 for it and took it out in a week and sold the spring to someone that really need them so it has only seen the trail twice and your 4 popper will do okay with it. My 6 bagger was to much and I think my D35 houseing is jacked. You donnot need to set up gears with a lock right just take out your spider gears

Nice Deal.

Jump on it, NOW.

Save the spider gears and swap them back in when it snows. I knew a guy that did this evey time he went wheeling. 60min job.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Shawn

Save the spider gears and swap them back in when it snows. I knew a guy that did this evey time he went wheeling. 60min job.

Really? I guess it works...

In my case I do so much spur of the moment wheeling, like night runs up AF or Corner Canyon. It would be a PIA to have to swap out all the time. For those that seldom wheel or seldom wheel where they nee lockers, this would work.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
people that cant drive on a locker 365 days a year worry me....

why would you bother with doing all that crap?? just set it and forget it!!

if you can't handle a simple locker in your rig you got driving skill problems!!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Pokey- To answer your question, your 35 Shafts should stand up to being Locked and turning no bigger than a 32" tire.

Lock it up and enjoy the change!

sukaB

Banned
Set it and forget it........

Come on spence your watching those damn infomercials way to much..........
:(
You need to get out more..

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by sukaB
Set it and forget it........

Come on spence your watching those damn infomercials way to much..........
:(
You need to get out more..

the fact that you realized it was an infomercial quote drags you into the same category......you....my friend need to get out even more than I because I didn't realize it was an infomercial until you said something!!

but also in reply to the question, 31s have a hard time breaking suzuki axles so go for the locker and don't worry about breaking unless you have some really low gearing and a torque monster motor.

If you need someone to help you realize how wonderful a locker is to have, talk to xjc, he was wrestling with the idea for a good long time but he just put one in and he drives 120 miles a day on really poopy roads and loves his locker!! go for it !!

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
Do I need to be really worried if I lock the 35 with my 31's?

no, in fact, H*!! no!

Should I just lock the d35 and carry some spares?

Carrying spares is a good idea, but with a 4banger and 31s, you'd have to be awfully hard on your machine to break a shaft.

I don't think that I will be going much bigger than a 32 tire in the next year or two (no money).

If you plan on going bigger than a 32, just save your money and buy the size you want. To go from a 31 to a 32 seems like a bit of a waste to me. To go up to a 33 would be worth a change in tire size, but even then, with the cost of tires, you have to wonder.

Do you guys think that I would run into trouble with a locked d35?

No, I've been running my D35 with 33s (yes, and the awesome 35 kit) and haven't had any problems. I try to keep up with guys driving more capable machines, and I am quite satisfied. I've seen guys break the stock axle shafts, but in the one case I saw, I think the guy's driving style was really the culprit.

Would he have broken a shaft from a 44 or a 60, maybe not (probably not..), but if you use too much juice you're bound to break it sooner or later. That is what he did, spun the tire really hard, and it came back and bounced off a rock, caught traction and snap, there it went.

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I say go for it!! I wouldn't worry about breaking your shafts. I don't really trust Lockrites, as I blew one up fairly easily with my 4-popper, but any locker is more fun than no locker! :D

grinch

inner city redneck
I ran a lock right in my d 35, Four banger, yj with 33 for about 2 1/2 years before I broke an axle. Thats cuz I got side swiped going 50 miles per hour. Rolled 3 times bla bla bla.

P

pokeyYJ

Hey Demon, will the lockrite fit my factory limited slip diff, that is why I thought I had to go with the powertrax, because the open diff is different than the limited slip.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Hey Demon, will the lockrite fit my factory limited slip diff, that is why I thought I had to go with the powertrax, because the open diff is different than the limited slip.

excellent question!! you might have to ditch the mini-units in favor of a full locker type....DETROIT!!!