Lockheart Basins and Elephant Hill vehicle armor recommendations

jentzschman

Hey all. Getting ready to do these trails as a support vehicle for some biker friends. I was curious as to what type of armor for my truck would bee needed or recommended? I have a 2016 Tacoma double car short bed.

I figure sliders at least, but would belly pans be needed?

Thanks for any input.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Elephant hill... I would get some skids on it. Both trails have some nasty spots depending on how the weather has been. Guessing you at least have a rear locker? Some of the places get pretty nasty depending on weather, Samurai 4 low pinned nasty...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sliders would be smart, Lockhart has a section that the trail climbs into a narrow canyon with some rather large, embedded rocks... that rocky portion changes with traffic and maintenance.

These pics may help, we were on 35's and had sliders which made all the difference. Not long after this trip, I heard the county went out there and smoothed out the worst spot. - https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/lockhart-basin-may-2011.83781/

jentzschman

Awesome. I will for sure be getting sliders and I might be able to get at least a better front skid plate. Thanks for the input. BTW I do have a rear locker and pretty close to 33's. 265/75r16

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've been on it a few times in Land Rovers. The only thing I had happen was dragging a rear bumper. No big deal.

My buddy did it in a nearly stock Land Rover LR3. Just a 2 inch lift and 32s.

I've done it in a Range Rover and a Discovery with a 2 inch lift and 33s. No big deal.

If you go out the backside I think it's called Bobby's hole. You'll want a locker and some skills. It was pretty rough getting out of there three years ago.