"long range" deer rifle recommendations

Houndoc

One thing I came away from after this year's deer hunt is the need/desire to increase my shooting range. I currently use a 30-06 and am comfortable with shots out to about 350-400 yards.
At this point do not see myself becoming a 1,000 yard plus shooter, but extending my comfortable distance out to 600-700 seems reasonable.
I am also limited by the fact that hand loading etc is not in my scope of interest and enjoy travel too much to buy a custom rifle.
So, with that in mind, thoughts on rifle, caliber and scope would be appreciated.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
30-06 is a great round for 600-700 yards. Since you're not wanting to hand load, grab a few boxes of "match" type ammo and see which one your rifle likes best at 100 and 200 yards. The tighter groups the better. Every rifle/barrel will be different. I'm sure you know this but just be aware that any variance in shot at 100 or 200 yards zero is going to be magnified at your desired 600-700 range. Once you find the "right" ammo, don't change a damn thing on your rifle or you get to start over. (at least that's how things have went for me----I haven't shot much the past few years due to many circumstances)

Optics are a total Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge thing. I'd pay the needed amount and get something you like rather than buy 2-3 "maybe" units that might work out and have some "meh" stuff kicking around your man cave. I would suggest your price range would be at least $400 and up. I've seen folks using Leapold, Vortex, Bushnell, Zeiss, etc (even Tasco) have good success. Something in the $700-1200 range would get you something that would be comfortable to use and have a reticle you like.

Edit: Oh, rifle... You could use exactly the same weapon you have. I have been ogling the Tikka rifles of late. Not sure if you're into those or not. I bought a new Rem 700 6-7 years ago and will likely pass on buying one of those again. They're not bad but definitely not what they used to be. My brother has a Browning X-bolt (maybe it's an A-bolt or something?). That's a nice weapon as well.

More editing: There are MANY calibers that will shoot like a laser if you wanted to get a little more exotic. 6mm and 6.5 variants, .20 cal variants (.220 Swift, 22-250 and .204 Rugers can be cool--I'm sure there's a bunch of wildcat variants along those lines that I don't know anything about), good old .270, and .30 cal 7mm unit will get you to your 700 yards with ease. Some of the really "hot" calibers will wear a barrel down pretty well/quickly.
Interesting article on some .20 caliber stuff if you're interested. I personally wouldn't use these for deer but it'll let you know what you can do if you wanted to quit traveling and get another job to pay for all the cool stuff :D https://www.6mmbr.com/20caliber.html

Last edited:

DonH63

Been a few years since I last hunted, using my father's (RIP) old 30-06, but for long shots and big elk in CO what I saw were mostly 7 mm and 300 mags.

DAA

To be proficient on game animals at 700 yards in the field takes a lot more than just buying a new rifle. You'll need to have a good range finder as "estimation" is not good enough to make consistently clean kills at that distance.

Learning to dope the wind and how to shoot in it is the biggest challenge. You'll need lots of trigger time at distance to become competent. Buying a wind meter isn't a bad idea, but conditions at your firing position can tell big lies about conditions over the bullets path and this is especially true in the field and extra especially true in mountain terrain.

Frankly, I'd plan on wearing that first barrel completely out just practicing and getting the hang of it if long range field shooting is new to you. You'll need to burn a lot of ammo. So ammo availability and cost should probably be considered in what you choose. I've never used any factory centerfire ammo, so I'm no help there.

- DAA

DonH63

Frankly I can't imagine shooting something 700 yards away, even in the prairie (antelope). Mostly I hunted deer, elk, and upland birds. 100 yards was a far shot in the woods and hills. There are some long-range ranges around up to 1000 yards but I can barely see that far. :)

Years ago there were some elk walking a trail on the other side of a canyon, probably ~100 yards straight across. My buddy and I considered it, but realized the real problem would be the hike down and up then back to get them out! We started to walk away when shots rang out on down the trail. Couple of guys took down a bull and a cow, then spent hours hiking and finally asking for help to get them out but there were no roads. They ended up paying an outfitter to haul them out with horses. Expensive elk.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Give the animals a chance. I know lots of folks like long range kills, but for me, I think they deserve to smell/see/detect the hunter for an ethical experience. I don't fault others in this regard, but for me the intimacy of the hunt is the good part.
So you only bow hunt😉.
I get your point and I kind of agree. I'm not much of a hunter anymore but I do enjoy the challenge of long range shooting and hunting adds another element to the shooting.
I would stress the requirement to have the skill and knowledge to make a clean kill, not just send rounds at an animal 800 yards away and hope for the best.
I'm sure houndoc being an animal lover has the same concern.

ID Bronco

So you only bow hunt😉.
I get your point and I kind of agree. I'm not much of a hunter anymore but I do enjoy the challenge of long range shooting and hunting adds another element to the shooting.
I would stress the requirement to have the skill and knowledge to make a clean kill, not just send rounds at an animal 800 yards away and hope for the best.
I'm sure houndoc being an animal lover has the same concern.
90% shotgun, so about the same.

Clean kills for sure.

Houndoc

I agree completely on the concern of a clean kill, and especially that some hunters may not bother to fully confirm an animal was not wounded with a longer range shot.
And I still enjoy the challenge of a well planned and carefully carried out stalk.
But a new way of think that came to me in this year's hunt is my grandfather hunted with an open sight 30-30. He would not have considered a 300 yard shot with thst rifle.
My 3-9 scoped 30-06 is a very different gun allowing very different hunting.
Is going to a better long range caliber abd higher tech scope to increase effective range to 600-700 yards really that different than the change than that?

haulinshine

For that distance I would say a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag, if you want to get fancy 300 PRC is a great round but is a little on the spendy side. As for rifle I have never had an issue with any Savage arms I have owned or used. For a scope maybe look at a 4-16. I don't know what the weight you are comfortable packing is but for good accuracy at that range you want to make sure your barrel is a full free float and a heavier barrel will help keep the groups tight at range but comes with more weight.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I agree completely on the concern of a clean kill, and especially that some hunters may not bother to fully confirm an animal was not wounded with a longer range shot.
And I still enjoy the challenge of a well planned and carefully carried out stalk.
But a new way of think that came to me in this year's hunt is my grandfather hunted with an open sight 30-30. He would not have considered a 300 yard shot with thst rifle.
My 3-9 scoped 30-06 is a very different gun allowing very different hunting.
Is going to a better long range caliber abd higher tech scope to increase effective range to 600-700 yards really that different than the change than that?
For that distance I would say a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag, if you want to get fancy 300 PRC is a great round but is a little on the spendy side. As for rifle I have never had an issue with any Savage arms I have owned or used. For a scope maybe look at a 4-16. I don't know what the weight you are comfortable packing is but for good accuracy at that range you want to make sure your barrel is a full free float and a heavier barrel will help keep the groups tight at range but comes with more weight.

@DAA said it above, you'll need to practice whatever caliber you choose.

A 30-06 will get to 1000 yards reliably. You'll need to know what you're doing and be comfortable with the shot. Your weapon might even weigh more than you'd be comfortable packing? If over anything you're comfortable with, is it an ethical shot? I would submit most folks here (all?) would say that they'd want a confirmed kill over whatever range you're shooting. Even at 50 and 100 yards, I've pulverized a heart and had a deer run quite a ways on adrenaline or whatever. Longer range would likely be less startling but who knows?

For my taste, I like the 200 yard or less shot. I don't hunt though as it's more work for the meat than it's worth to me. Also, I'm the only venison eater in my family. Makes me not want to spend $75+ per lb for venison (and deal with a bunch of knuckleheads in hunter orange surrounding me) 300 Mag, 7mm and 270 are possibly a better choice at the 500-700 range? Debatable like anything else. You can make the 30-06 work. It's pretty capable