Toyota Looking at lifts for 4Runners

Caleb

So, up until two days ago, I was 99% sure I was going to be doing an Old Man Emu lift on my 2016 4Runner. I loved my OME lift on my Tacoma so I was pretty set. Then I saw that Teraflex has Falcon shocks for the 4Runner that give it a 2”Lift using the stock coils. I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews about that Falcons, so that’s a very intriguing thought. Then, I just noticed OME has the BP-51 lifts. They seem very nice, I would imagine probably on-par with the Falcons. I also though maybe the regular OME and do some nice Bilstein shocks?

My goal is to fit 33” tires (I’ll have them already from my wife’s JL Rubicon) on our 4Runner. It seems it’s maybe doable with 2” of lift, 3” is probably a safer bet. I’ve not lifted anything in a long time and feel like a total newb these days. So, give me your thoughts on:
  • Regular Old Man Emu (maybe upgrade shocks)
  • Falcon shocks with stock coils
  • Old Man Emu bp-51 kit
I’m also open to other suggestions. I will occasionally tow my rzr so that is probably a factor to consider too. I don’t plan to do any crawling, just mostly forest roads type driving and primarily will be a commuter.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't know much about the OME BP51's, but they seem pretty impressive. The Falcons are built so they operate in 3 stages of travel, so no matter what you're doing they can handle it, the shock bodies are quite large and the pistons are built with massive fluid ports. They also have a negative spring built into them too, so they resist harsh bottoming out if you unweight them. I've been very impressed with the Falcons, have owned 3 sets now and haven't been left wanting anything different.

Caleb

Yeah, I was super jealous my wife is going to get some falcon 3.3s on her Jeep so I was pretty excited to see they had something for the 4Runner. I’m only concerned that it’s only 2”.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I dont have experience with Falcons, but I've driven 2 rigs with BP51's and they were impressive!

Both the Falcons and BP51's will perform substantially better than a standard OME or Bilstien setup.

I am likely doing BP51's on Land Cruiser next year.

jebuwh

I've been an IFS Toyota guy my whole life, and to me nothing beats quality coilovers and uca in the front of Taco/4Runners. Camburg or Total Chaos UCA, others out there I'm sure are great too. Paired with a set of quality extended travel coilovers, it will ride really nice.

Icon, King, Fox all make great stuff, there are others too.

I've had the UCA and coilovers combo on 3 different rigs, never failed me!

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Had regular OME on my 80, BP-51's on my 200 land cruiser. I think for normal trail stuff there's definitely no benefit that I could detect on the BP's. I flogged the 200 pretty good on a few trails which put the suspension through it's paces, but regretted the experience, as that's not the way to enjoy the scenery. SO, my takeaway is I would never pay for the BP-51's, since flying across the desert isn't my jam, and regular ol' OME's are up to everything else.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
The OG OME stuff is great for 99% of everyone, especially those that are just going for "the look". I've had them on a few rigs. Good bang for your buck. If you choose the correct spring rate, you can expect stock-ish ride and handling.

The Falcon shocks should ride better, handle better, and give you the benefit of some adjustability. I've never run any, but I think I like them. Falcon owners are quickly out-talking vegan Crossfitters that have never seen Game of Thrones, so there's that.

The BP-51 will be more like the Falcons, only better. Remote reservoir, compression and rebound adjustment, plus bypass technology. If you don't know how neat bypass shocks are, you owe it to yourself to do some research. I have some on my current Cruiser, and I really like them. Especially anytime I have the opportunity to actually "drive" on them. Don't worry, I eat meat, hate the gym, and enjoy Game of Thrones. :cody: :p

Jesser04

Let’s be honest which ones look cooler? I love the look of the falcons but a quick google search and the bp setup looks pretty sweet if money isn’t a deciding factor I’d get the bp-51’s.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I've never seen game of thrones, so I don't understand that reference. Am I to understand there are falcon-loving CrossFit vegans on that show? If so, I'm up to speed on what you were getting at. And it's obvious why it was such a big deal, it sounds AMAZING

lhracing

I have the OME
BP-51's on my 17 4Runner and after a little adjusting I am impressed. The work very well on wash board roads and higher speed dirt roads, crawling on the rocks just about anything works.

Caleb

The OG OME stuff is great for 99% of everyone, especially those that are just going for "the look". I've had them on a few rigs. Good bang for your buck. If you choose the correct spring rate, you can expect stock-ish ride and handling.

The Falcon shocks should ride better, handle better, and give you the benefit of some adjustability. I've never run any, but I think I like them. Falcon owners are quickly out-talking vegan Crossfitters that have never seen Game of Thrones, so there's that.

The BP-51 will be more like the Falcons, only better. Remote reservoir, compression and rebound adjustment, plus bypass technology. If you don't know how neat bypass shocks are, you owe it to yourself to do some research. I have some on my current Cruiser, and I really like them. Especially anytime I have the opportunity to actually "drive" on them. Don't worry, I eat meat, hate the gym, and enjoy Game of Thrones. :cody: :p

Yeah, I understand each of the three are different. Each a bit nicer than the next. Just was wondering if the benefits outweigh the cost. While cost is a factor, I'm happy to pay for the BP-51 if it's worth the extra money.

As for remote reservoirs, I had remote reservoirs on my Tundra. It had a BDS kit that had Fox Remote Reservoir coilovers on the front.