Looking at lightweight/compact stoves

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I looking for a small stove to carry with me on my dual-sport motorcycle. I've been researching them a bit lately and wow there's a lot of options!

I was sold on the JetBoil MiniMo. Size looks good, I love how everything fits neatly inside the cup (french press option is great!), piezo ignition is cool and I could throw it into my panniers without too much worry of breaking it. Now I'm starting to think a multi-fuel stove like the MSR Dragonfly or Optimus Polaris might be a better option. They look a little more robust (compared to the Jetboil), a little more versatile plus I would have the option of using many different fuels which might be a benefit when I have a tank full of gasoline.

I don't plan on riding in sub-zero temperatures. Not planning on camping at super high altitudes. I probably won't be away from civilization for more than a day or two (although finding fuel canisters anywhere in SE Idaho might be a challenge). Weight isn't a huge concern although size probably should be.. Maybe I should consider the ultra light variety of stoves?

Anyway I'm overthinking this :eek: I need to be able to boil water for coffee and freeze dried meals along with backpacking type meals and probably the occasional canned food. I'd love the simmer option and I'm noticing some of the stoves out there don't have that feature.

What are your thoughts? Thanks,

Andrew

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I love Jetboil's. I've used the regular size one often on overnight snowshoeing trips. I hadn't seen the mini before. It says it holds a liter of liquid so that would be plenty of volume I would think.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I love Jetboil's. I've used the regular size one often on overnight snowshoeing trips. I hadn't seen the mini before. It says it holds a liter of liquid so that would be plenty of volume I would think.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the MiniMo replaced the Sol recently in an attempt to make it easier to scoop food out of.. Short/wide instead of tall/skinny.. I agree I think the size is about perfect.

Geez... For that price I might have to give it a shot. I don't think my life will depend on this stove as much as if I were on a long distance backpacking trip.. Worse case I could skip a meal and ride into town. Thanks.

ID Bronco

I use a jet boil I got from Mesha, awesome unit. I use it way more than my other stove without the cup. I love drinking/eating out of the cup while the contents are really hot. The insulating cover is awesome. Im in Idaho falls if you ever need anything while your out.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Thanks for the feedback everyone :cool: I checked out the Jet Boil MiniMo at the local Sportsman's Warehouse last night. Really a great looking stove but I ended up talking myself out of it. The cup was quite a bit larger in diameter than I had imagined and given the cost/design I'm worried I would end up damaging it in my soft bags. Again really nice setup, but I don't think it is quite what I'm after.

With that in mind I'm strongly considering an ultra-light variant and a cheap stainless cup (that I wouldn't feel bad about damaging) to go with it. The Snow Peak litemax is wearing on me: http://www.rei.com/product/768603/snow-peak-litemax-stove

Im in Idaho falls if you ever need anything while your out.

Thanks I appreciate it :cool:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I found a bottle for prescription pills that holds the stove tight & protects it from damage while motorcycling.

That's awesome. Mine has a little red triangular box with no room for anything else, but I could shove some matches and stuff around the edges of a great big pill bottle. Think I'll see if I can get one next time I'm in Smiths.

Houndoc

I have something similar, think mine is a MSR? I've used it on countless trips and several years later it still works great. I found a bottle for prescription pills that holds the stove tight & protects it from damage while motorcycling.

Have two. Work great

airmanwilliams

Has anyone tried the biolite stove yet? With twins coming I am looking into getting 72 hour kits, food storage,and other emergency storage going and am looking for stove options. I like the fact that it can charge devices while cooking but it cannot charge a variety of them as well though.

DAA

I haven't used everything, haven't looked at everything, not even aware of everything. But of the numerous options I've played with, including a couple different firefly type stoves, esbit stoves, homemade alcohol stoves and more, a JetBoil Sol Ti is my preferred solution.

- DAA