Looking to relocate to utah

POR

Me and my ol lady have been looking to relocate to utah.. ive fallen in love with the st Gorege and even ceder city area. She really likes both places as well, we both would prefer st Gorege over ceder but really the house and property is what matters. We dont have kids and dont plan on having any so less than 4 bedroom housing is a challenge to find. We want horse property with shop and barn. She just sent me a house in hooper that she just found and really like the layout of.. it looks like its a suburb neighborhood of SLC..? Ive lived out in country all of my adult life so city life is not appealing to me at all.. my questions.. is hooper country living or city with some acreage? Where would you guys refer us to kinda look? Any and all input would much be appreciated!

xjtony

Hooper is a little rural town, but just a few minutes away from the suburbs. I used to live in west point which is just south of there. Layton is the bigger town in the area. If you are looking rural around SLC you can look in Tooele county (I live in grantsville). North of Ogden there are some nice rural communities as well.

Tonkaman

Hooper is nowhere near Cedar or St. George, might as well be a different state! Are you sure you mean hooper?

I feel you should n trying to find the small house/big lot combo. In Utah it just doesn’t exist unless it’s an old ranch house or similar. The problem is we have big families and so there is no re-sale on even a medium sized house. Best bet is to build

POR

Hooper is a little rural town, but just a few minutes away from the suburbs. I used to live in west point which is just south of there. Layton is the bigger town in the area. If you are looking rural around SLC you can look in Tooele county (I live in grantsville). North of Ogden there are some nice rural communities as well.

So how far away is it from slc? Whats considered small town for you guys? I seen west haven on map right next to it.. isnt that pretty much slc?

POR

Hooper is nowhere near Cedar or St. George, might as well be a different state! Are you sure you mean hooper?

I feel you should n trying to find the small house/big lot combo. In Utah it just doesn’t exist unless it’s an old ranch house or similar. The problem is we have big families and so there is no re-sale on even a medium sized house. Best bet is to build
I know they are nowhere close.. 4 1/2 hrs away to be exact.. tbats why st gorege is appealing, seems mostly retired people area from what we could tell.. old ranch hpuse would be great.. i really dont want to build.. to expensive and way to many headaches. Been there and done that in life already

LJTim

It is nearly an hour away from SLC. I used to have a good buddy (also a fellow wheeler) that lived in Hooper. It is pretty far out there. Great value for homes though, with good lot sizes. My friend's place was nice. He had room for chickens and goats, but after 5 years of it, he decided it was too far from the city conveniences for his style. Don't let me turn you off, because it is close enough to the city so it's not an hour trek to the grocery store. It is close to Ogden, which is a city that is bigger than Cedar, but not as large as St George. but the Salt Lake area is unique, in that there is a continuous strand of decent sized cities all along the Wasatch Front from Brigham City, down to Payson (about 1.5-2 hour stretch). Some cities have some benefits over others.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
So how far away is it from slc? Whats considered small town for you guys? I seen west haven on map right next to it.. isnt that pretty much slc?

30 min from salt lake.
'Small' is still getting stuck behind tractors on the road, no grocery store, and agricultural fields. Hooper is still small. Nothing like salt lake city

Reactions: POR

POR

It is nearly an hour away from SLC. I used to have a good buddy (also a fellow wheeler) that lived in Hooper. It is pretty far out there. Great value for homes though, with good lot sizes. My friend's place was nice. He had room for chickens and goats, but after 5 years of it, he decided it was too far from the city conveniences for his style. Don't let me turn you off, because it is close enough to the city so it's not an hour trek to the grocery store. It is close to Ogden, which is a city that is bigger than Cedar, but not as large as St George. but the Salt Lake area is unique, in that there is a continuous strand of decent sized cities all along the Wasatch Front from Brigham City, down to Payson (about 1.5-2 hour stretch). Some cities have some benefits over others.
Ahh... very good info! My average daily commute into the city now is 2.5 to 4.5 hrs one way for a 50 mile drive into the city... your not turning me off cuz of commute time lol.. i live in a small logging town now and really like not being told what to do or bothered by neighbors.. you know cuz chickens or other farm animals.. also.. how would tracel time to go wheeling be from say hooper?

POR

I really appreciate your guys info on this.. you cant get this intel talking/looking through real estate sites

xjtony

Like Ljtim and jeeper said maybe 30-45 min to SLC. Layton is the nearest "bigger" town. The nice thing is that you can live rural, but still be an hour or so to SLC.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Like others have stated, Hooper and West Haven are north of SLC by about 30~ish miles. I live in West Haven on a 3/4 acre lot which is just west of the I-15 interstate so easy access to Ogden and is out in the country without being OUT in the country. We love it because of the country living but I can be in downtown Ogden in less than 10-minutes.

My wife works in Salt Lake City and has about a 45-minute commute each way from home. In the Hooper and West Haven areas as well as you could add Farr West, Plain City and Marriot-Slaterville area all similar in rural living yet close to Ogden. They have a variety of lot sizes available depending on needs and obviously budget. The above mentioned cities are located in Weber County which is north of Davis County. Davis County is just north of Salt Lake County. Housing costs seem to decrease the further north you go from SLC. Some friends of my wife's bought a home nearly identical to ours two years ago when we bought and they paid $100k more for the same home on less than 1/4 acre. It seems like even just a bit further north of us in West Haven homes are slightly less still. My son and his fiancé just purchased a very nice home in Farr West for what I thought was a "reasonable" price considering the high quality of the home being all brick and on 1/3 acre with fully landscaped yard.

Mike

Not trying to ruffle feathers, and I don't live there, but I don't really consider Hooper a little town since there isn't much of a break between that and surrounding communities. I would classify it as a suburb of the Wasatch front cities. I don't know that it is a negative, just a reality check.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Not trying to ruffle feathers, and I don't live there, but I don't really consider Hooper a little town since there isn't much of a break between that and surrounding communities. I would classify it as a suburb of the Wasatch front cities. I don't know that it is a negative, just a reality check.

With how fast the metropolitan Wasatch Front is growing, there will be no "open" areas between Brigham City and Nephi within the next decade. It'll all just be urban sprawl ala Los Angeles.

LJTim

As far as nearby wheeling areas, I actually have no idea. Maybe @zmotorsports has a better idea? I know there is a scenic trail up Farmington Canyon that wouldn't bee too far, but I've never done it. It sort of depends on what kind of terrain you are looking for. I think any serious wheeling will have to be 5-mile pass, American Fork Canyon and Little Moab, all about 1.5-2 hours drive. There is a nice trail in the Vernal area called Red Mountain, but that is about 3.5 hours from Hooper.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
If you love St George and you want some inexpensive property in a rural setting, check out Apple Valley. Most lots are minimum 1 acre, a lot of lower cost areas... Although I still think prices should be a bit lower given that you have to grocery shop in Hurricane about 15 minutes away.

An ideal rural situation for me would be unincorporated county, but that comes with other problems. If you see anything in the area that looks interesting, hit me up and I'll give you the lowdown. I work for the Town (only full time employee) so I know quite a bit about the ins and outs. Also check out Hurricane/La Verkin area.

POR

Thank you this is what i was thinking it looked like on a map

POR

With how fast the metropolitan Wasatch Front is growing, there will be no "open" areas between Brigham City and Nephi within the next decade. It'll all just be urban sprawl ala Los Angeles.

I want to avoid this.. my little town will explode next big economy bubble we ride.. the groundwork and infrastructure is being started

POR

As far as nearby wheeling areas, I actually have no idea. Maybe @zmotorsports has a better idea? I know there is a scenic trail up Farmington Canyon that wouldn't bee too far, but I've never done it. It sort of depends on what kind of terrain you are looking for. I think any serious wheeling will have to be 5-mile pass, American Fork Canyon and Little Moab, all about 1.5-2 hours drive. There is a nice trail in the Vernal area called Red Mountain, but that is about 3.5 hours from Hooper.

Im in the extreme side of things.. granted 5 hrs is alot better than what i currently have to travel.. id like to have some decent hard stuff that i can hit up on random weekend days. I already live in a less than spectacular area for wheeling...

POR

If you love St George and you want some inexpensive property in a rural setting, check out Apple Valley. Most lots are minimum 1 acre, a lot of lower cost areas... Although I still think prices should be a bit lower given that you have to grocery shop in Hurricane about 15 minutes away.

An ideal rural situation for me would be unincorporated county, but that comes with other problems. If you see anything in the area that looks interesting, hit me up and I'll give you the lowdown. I work for the Town (only full time employee) so I know quite a bit about the ins and outs. Also check out Hurricane/La Verkin area.
We've explored alot of st gorege and a good part of surrounding areas.. draper and ext.. housing is definatly super inflated from 3 or 4 yrs ago.. id really like to buy down there on a economic low, lol.. i kinfa feel like the house property is more gonna determine where we land, hence why im asking you guys. Im curious abot the bug control costs, we hear horror stories how bad the bugs are amd how much it cost monthly for keeping unwanted pests out of house diwn in the arizona type climates..