Looking to relocate to utah

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I don't see any alligators in that moat Stephen. lol.

It's OK, we'll have flame throwers.

latest

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Southern Utah. New Harmony hasn't been mentioned yet. Sits in between cedar and St. George. I live in Hurricane and love it but it is growing and will continue to do so. Apple Valley is another good option. Only 10-15 mins from Hurricane.

POR

How does work fit in here?

If anywhere in Utah is a option to live, we can put together a long list of good rural areas. I tend to notice horse property when I am driving and have spotted a lot of places that would be fun to live in if I didn't need to worry about getting to work.

I was in St George last week, and on the way home was thinking that if I was to move (which I have no desire to do again) then Parowan and Beaver would be a couple of my top choices. They would both be good options to search for your horse property, as would Fillmore or Mona areas as well.

If you don't mind being further off the I-15 corridor then Panguitch is a neat little town. Some others areas to look at could also be Sanpete County (Fairview, Mt Pleasant etc), the Richfield/Salina area (they have a nice riding arena in Salina we have been to a few times.)

Further north, west of Salt Lake there is Rush Valley & Vernon, both still very much small towns, as well as some good horse property in the Tooele Valley, although we are quickly loosing our overall small town feel as we become more and more a Salt Lake suburb.

On the opposite end of the state from your starting point of St George the small towns in the Cache Valley are still nice (Mendon, Paradise).

We would need a hospital nearby, as she works in the med field.. i travel, so not much concern for me. I dont want her having a 2 hr commute though. Thats why surrounding areas of st Gorege are appealling to me.. correct me if im wrong but my geeling is st Gorege is more so a retirement area??... so i feel it might be developed with the not a big family in mind.. or am i way off on that thinking..

POR

Southern Utah. New Harmony hasn't been mentioned yet. Sits in between cedar and St. George. I live in Hurricane and love it but it is growing and will continue to do so. Apple Valley is another good option. Only 10-15 mins from Hurricane.

We have explored new harmony, some very nice houses and lots out there.. i dont think we've looked in apple valley..

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
We would need a hospital nearby, as she works in the med field.. i travel, so not much concern for me. I dont want her having a 2 hr commute though. Thats why surrounding areas of st Gorege are appealling to me.. correct me if im wrong but my geeling is st Gorege is more so a retirement area??... so i feel it might be developed with the not a big family in mind.. or am i way off on that thinking..
There are a lot of retiree's in St. George, but its also THE fastest growing city in Utah and its not just geriatrics moving there.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
There are a lot of retiree's in St. George, but its also THE fastest growing city in Utah and its not just geriatrics moving there.
I live in Hurricane and it is also growing. There are a lot of younger people moving here and I don't get it. The housing is High and we don't have the economy here to support the higher house prices and the young families that are moving here. That's why I feel there will be another bubble break down here.

Houndoc

I think of long term rural is your goal, it won't last if too close toSt George.

Parowan near Cedar, Rush Valley or Vernon near Tooele would both be easy drives to smaller hospitals. Same with San Juan County.

Reactions: POR

POR

There are lots of smaller towns around St George. though I have no personal experience spending much time in either, I do know people who love these areas that might be worth looking into.

- LaVerkin
- Enterprise
- Dammeron Valley
- Ivins and Toquerville (both of these are a little closer to "civilization")
Why UT?

Have you considered W CO?
Good question.. i just really like Utah, people are nice, beautiful landscapes.. i just really like it down there. Not sure about Colorado but seems like they are hand in hand with Washington, our government is taxing people out.. it's like California in the 90's. Seems like Colorado thinks like us.. at least in the news it sure looks that way.. whats your thoughts? Sell me on it?

POR

There are lots of smaller towns around St George. though I have no personal experience spending much time in either, I do know people who love these areas that might be worth looking into.

- LaVerkin
- Enterprise
- Dammeron Valley
- Ivins and Toquerville (both of these are a little closer to "civilization")
I live in Hurricane and it is also growing. There are a lot of younger people moving here and I don't get it. The housing is High and we don't have the economy here to support the higher house prices and the young families that are moving here. That's why I feel there will be another bubble break down here.
Its crazy how the prices have risen over the last 3 yrs.. like almost double.. im hoping there is a bubble break down there, then we can buy on the cheap side and not have inflated pricing..

Caleb

My grandparents lived in New Harmony for many years (they're in Mona now). It's been a long time since I've actually been all the way in to New Harmony but at the time there was a church, a post office, and a fire station. Nothing else, no stores, etc. You went to Cedar or St. George for everything. There was only a single main road through town, It was definitely small. Primarily all horse property type lots. I know it's gotten a lot more spread out and developed now. There's now a gas station off that exit even. I'm not aware of any stores or markets in New Harmony still though.

Caleb

Its crazy how the prices have risen over the last 3 yrs.. like almost double.. im hoping there is a bubble break down there, then we can buy on the cheap side and not have inflated pricing..

I don't know that's it's much of a bubble down there. It's definitely gone up, but what you get for the money is still pretty high. My wife and I are seriously looking to move down there in the next little bit. I don't know that I can do another winter up here.