Looking to relocate to utah

DAA

Hooper feels a lot smaller to me than St. George. Really...

St. George is a congested freaking mad house everytime I'm there. Traffic out the wazoo. People everywhere. Old people falling asleep at traffic lights, etc. That whole county just wasn't built to support the numbers of people who live there now and it's still blowing up.

Cedar seems more peaceful to me. But it seems to be blowing up too though.

- DAA

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

St. George is a congested freaking mad house everytime I'm there. Traffic out the wazoo. People everywhere. Old people falling asleep at traffic lights, etc. That whole county just wasn't built to support the numbers of people who live there now and it's still blowing up.

- DAA

The whole state seems to be blowing up, that’s why we’re the fastest growing one in the country. Everyone moving here to get away from that big city life; only to turn every city in Utah into a big city.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'd be interested in hearing from others on the bugs but I think the only thing that someone might consider trying to mitigate is mosquitoes. Especially up north around the GSL marshes. Seems like a losing fight though with so much marsh/water.

DAA

Depends on the municipality I think. I'm about as close to the marshes as anyone here in West Bountiful. But the city and the county do a bang up job on the mosquitos. In the 15 years living here, only had maybe a couple weeks here and there where they were anything to even comment on, here around the house anyway.

- DAA

Tebbsjeep

The only bugs I deal with in Ogden, are the blasted Box Elder Bugs. That and earwigs. Last summer was our first summer in our house and it was bad. After spraying the house and treating/cleaning up the yard, it got better. We'll see what happens this summer.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Not trying to ruffle feathers, and I don't live there, but I don't really consider Hooper a little town since there isn't much of a break between that and surrounding communities. I would classify it as a suburb of the Wasatch front cities. I don't know that it is a negative, just a reality check.

I think that's a fair statement. When people ask me where I'm located I tell them West Haven which most have never heard of and I inform them it is a suburb of Ogden. It used to be Ogden then pretty much nothing until Roy then Clearfield then Bountiful and then Salt Lake City, but everything seems to be filling in between the above mentioned cities over the past 10-15 years now.

If you love St George and you want some inexpensive property in a rural setting, check out Apple Valley. Most lots are minimum 1 acre, a lot of lower cost areas... Although I still think prices should be a bit lower given that you have to grocery shop in Hurricane about 15 minutes away.

An ideal rural situation for me would be unincorporated county, but that comes with other problems. If you see anything in the area that looks interesting, hit me up and I'll give you the lowdown. I work for the Town (only full time employee) so I know quite a bit about the ins and outs. Also check out Hurricane/La Verkin area.

St. George is exploding lately and slated to be the largest city in Utah by some projections. If you really like that area look towards La Verkin or Hurricane area but again, those will be exploding as well once St. George overflows. It kind of already is if you've seen some of the nice upscale homes in those areas.

- DAA

I agree. Other than the wheeling in the St. George/Hurricane area I much prefer Cedar City to St. George. Traffic is horrible and they really don't have the infrastructure yet, hell maybe they won't because the areas to the west are what is exploding. It's more like other areas where there will be many more suburbs of St. George and each one will have to be self sustaining as far as infrastructure. A few years ago it appeared that the areas outside of St. George were just residential and people were still going into St. George for their shopping/businesses. I don't think it can support that much longer.

The whole state seems to be blowing up, that’s why we’re the fastest growing one in the country. Everyone moving here to get away from that big city life; only to turn every city in Utah into a big city.

Agreed. The influx of people over the past 10 years now is incredible. Last time I was in Moab a few weeks back we were talking to some friends and business owners down there that we know and they are watching their little town get devoured by new money coming in. Unfortunately the money seems to be coming from areas like Oregon, Colorado and California where people are fleeing and bringing their money, as well as beliefs and practices, into the community which is taking away from the small community feel. Trying to turn it into the places they are leaving. I don't want to get too political but we're seeing it here in our workforce as well and it is getting harder and harder to manage our crews when these new people to our state and industry want us to run our business model like those in Nevada or California.

Mike

POR

- DAA

I guess i should clarify.. i dont want to live in st Gorege city limits.. hurricane would be nice damerron vally looks peaceful. I like the arizona feel without being in arizona.. lol.. ive heard no good about arizona except when we were all collage age hahaha.. Ceder does seem quaint but i hear high crime around there and theres some gopher issure going on in area..

POR

I can relate... i just fell love with your state first time i went down there years ago. People are generally nice, alittle slower paced, lots of outdoor activities..

POR

I'd be interested in hearing from others on the bugs but I think the only thing that someone might consider trying to mitigate is mosquitoes. Especially up north around the GSL marshes. Seems like a losing fight though with so much marsh/water.
We have a abundance of those too lol, im more asking about the southern part where its more arizonaish landscape..

Bart

There are some fairly low housing/property costs in west Cedar City, kind of by 3 Peaks. One other thought would be down the gorge from St George, by Mesquite Nevada, only a 45 minute drive. There's also a little town called Beaver Damn in Arizona, between the 2. Dameron Valley is expensive, but there's a little town named Ivins that's closer to St George that's a bit cheaper.

POR

I think that's a fair statement. When people ask me where I'm located I tell them West Haven which most have never heard of and I inform them it is a suburb of Ogden. It used to be Ogden then pretty much nothing until Roy then Clearfield then Bountiful and then Salt Lake City, but everything seems to be filling in between the above mentioned cities over the past 10-15 years now.

St. George is exploding lately and slated to be the largest city in Utah by some projections. If you really like that area look towards La Verkin or Hurricane area but again, those will be exploding as well once St. George overflows. It kind of already is if you've seen some of the nice upscale homes in those areas.

I agree, there has been alot of upscale building the last couple years.. ive been looking and warching prices over last 4 years and everything us so inflated right now.

I agree. Other than the wheeling in the St. George/Hurricane area I much prefer Cedar City to St. George. Traffic is horrible and they really don't have the infrastructure yet, hell maybe they won't because the areas to the west are what is exploding. It's more like other areas where there will be many more suburbs of St. George and each one will have to be self sustaining as far as infrastructure. A few years ago it appeared that the areas outside of St. George were just residential and people were still going into St. George for their shopping/businesses. I don't think it can support that much longer.

I was told last winter they had halted most new bldg permits till the city could get a hand on all the new growth..

Agreed. The influx of people over the past 10 years now is incredible. Last time I was in Moab a few weeks back we were talking to some friends and business owners down there that we know and they are watching their little town get devoured by new money coming in. Unfortunately the money seems to be coming from areas like Oregon, Colorado and California where people are fleeing and bringing their money, as well as beliefs and practices, into the community which is taking away from the small community feel. Trying to turn it into the places they are leaving. I don't want to get too political but we're seeing it here in our workforce as well and it is getting harder and harder to manage our crews when these new people to our state and industry want us to run our business model like those in Nevada or California.

Mike

Its unfortunate, happened up here in the 90's when all of California migrated north.. idaho is getting hit hard with them now.

POR

There are some fairly low housing/property costs in west Cedar City, kind of by 3 Peaks. One other thought would be down the gorge from St George, by Mesquite Nevada, only a 45 minute drive. There's also a little town called Beaver Damn in Arizona, between the 2. Dameron Valley is expensive, but there's a little town named Ivins that's closer to St George that's a bit cheaper.

Thank you! We'll investigate those next time were down.

Houndoc

How does work fit in here?

If anywhere in Utah is a option to live, we can put together a long list of good rural areas. I tend to notice horse property when I am driving and have spotted a lot of places that would be fun to live in if I didn't need to worry about getting to work.

I was in St George last week, and on the way home was thinking that if I was to move (which I have no desire to do again) then Parowan and Beaver would be a couple of my top choices. They would both be good options to search for your horse property, as would Fillmore or Mona areas as well.

If you don't mind being further off the I-15 corridor then Panguitch is a neat little town. Some others areas to look at could also be Sanpete County (Fairview, Mt Pleasant etc), the Richfield/Salina area (they have a nice riding arena in Salina we have been to a few times.)

Further north, west of Salt Lake there is Rush Valley & Vernon, both still very much small towns, as well as some good horse property in the Tooele Valley, although we are quickly loosing our overall small town feel as we become more and more a Salt Lake suburb.

On the opposite end of the state from your starting point of St George the small towns in the Cache Valley are still nice (Mendon, Paradise).

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

LJTim

There are lots of smaller towns around St George. though I have no personal experience spending much time in either, I do know people who love these areas that might be worth looking into.

- LaVerkin
- Enterprise
- Dammeron Valley
- Ivins and Toquerville (both of these are a little closer to "civilization")

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
If I didn't have to be close to a city for the work I do, I'd buy a shit ton of property out in Emery County away from everybody. :D

Maybe we can build a little compound down there...

tumblr_inline_nt974xrUbP1qmid0w_1280.png