Lowered Jeep, Cut fenders, POLICE a prob?

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I am thinking of dropping my jeep 2 1/2 inches. (currently SOA with 2 1/2 in lift packs) I need to know if the cops are going to be a problem. I know there are quite a few people on the board here that are well versed in UT lift law. I will have to whack my rear fenders out if I drop down 2 1/2", but I go to school here and still have my AZ plate. I will keep my Arizona plate the whole time I am in school also.
Am I required to abide by UT lift law even though I am legally not a resident of UT?
This is how my Jeep sits now

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by BBowski82
This is how I am thinking of chopping the fenders, UHP be a problem?

Yup, not only do you need mudflpas but you also need fender flares over the top of the tire. There was a post a while back by Shawn that had Utah's updated lift law...I'de take a look at it if I were you.

I'm not sure how you AZ plate will work in Utah, I bet you get away with it the first couple of times but after that I bet they try and nail you for lift/tire violations.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I followed that post, and I know the UT lift law pretty well. I am just hoping someone can give me an answer in stone on whether or not my AZ plate will help me at all.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
If you really care about the law you need to pay the property tax in Utah it is the law even if you are a student. why are they issuing a parking sticker without a Utah plate?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
whether or not my AZ plate will help me at all.

No, Utah does not follow AZ laws. If you drive on Utah Roads you follow Utah Laws.
In fact if you have a Utah Drivers Licence and AZ Plates you can get a fix it ticket. You have like 30 days to transfer your plates over.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I have an AZ license and an AZ plate. Since I am a full time student (22 credits) and I my parents still claim me on their taxes I don't have to switch my license or plate.
What happens when people come up from say Cali to wheel Moab? Do the cops hassle em? If so, that's a bunch of BS. IMO

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
That is correct-a-mundo.

I was reading on Pirate once, the guy's complaining about having to drive into Utah and deal with the laws,,,

What do ya do???

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Chop them up, then just put some removable fenders on. That's what I did. Four bolts and some wing nuts.
And the cops leave me alone:)

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by Shawn
What do ya do???

Nothing I guess. That sucks.
I know every state has the right to their own laws and all, but why a "lift law"? Is there a good reason for it? And I don't really want to hear the stuff about safety....cause the superduties stock sit damn close to as high as my jeep at the bumper...

The lift law just seems like another way to generate revenue for the grand ol' state of Ut? correct me if I am wrong (but do it gently)

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by Shawn
Chop them up, then just put some removable fenders on. That's what I did. Four bolts and some wing nuts.
And the cops leave me alone:)

How much are yours chopped? I don't know what I am gonna do about the front fenders if I end up havin to mount flares. Make up some kind of mount I spose.

harkinoff

something to do...
when I came here with Arizona plates I was pulled over and was told I had 30 days to get Utah plates and drivers license since I was working here and happen to drive by the same cop every other day for months, its the same if you are going to school here, even though I had a out of state address and my w2 was even sent out of state, I was considered a resident....if your here thirty days or more you are considered a resident, that is what I was told anyway, you pay Utah state taxes here but are able to deduct them at the end of the year if you have a state tax free state such as Wyoming as a home address..

Shawn

Just Hanging Out

How much are yours chopped? I don't know what I am gonna do about the front fenders if I end up havin to mount flares. Make up some kind of mount I spose.

Not as much as you wnat to do. I only cut 2" off the front and did the normal Cruiser hogg in the rear. However I'm running full widths.
In this pic you can see where I mounted the front with flat top bolts and wing nuts.
These are 6" TJ flares (that I bought new for $20.00:cool: )

Attachments

• cruiser 81.jpg
    cruiser 81.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 109
P

pokeyYJ

Nothing I guess. That sucks.
I know every state has the right to their own laws and all, but why a "lift law"? Is there a good reason for it? And I don't really want to hear the stuff about safety....cause the superduties stock sit damn close to as high as my jeep at the bumper...

Hey BBowski82, you should bring this up with John Cline up at Weber. I had a rather lively discussion with him over this very issue just yesterday.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
What are his views on the Lift Law, seeing as how he is a teacher I am sure he just like all the other LIBERAL university profs in America....so I can only guess.

P

pokeyYJ

Yes, I have the oppurtunity to have Cline instruct me in THREE classes this semester. Chrysler Diagnostic and Tune Up, Specialized Electricity, and one other that I can't remember the name of.

Cline thinks that ALL lifts should be made illegal, he told me that all it was going to take was somebody to rearend a Honda in their Superduty that has 14" of lift and 44" "mudslingers"(Cline terminology) and then the state of Utah would outlaw suspension modifications.

I just gave up trying to tell him otherwise. BTW, I see your Jeep up at campus and I can't believe that you don't get harrased as is. No flares or mud flaps!! You are one lucky SOB.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Oh I get harassed, but hey the laws trying to hold the white man down :D
According to campus police, "You need flares, mudflaps, a front bumper and this Jeep is 2" too tall"
According to me, "Until I see a ticket I ain't doin nuthing"
I am an Auto tech BS major and I work in the tool room over there, how come we've never met?
Yeah Cline, what are you gonna say? The old guys get one opinion and just won't sway.

P

pokeyYJ

I have meet you once, it was last semester and you were talking to Tobin about starting the Weber Wheeler's club, we walked out to the dirt lot so that you could show us your Jeep, I had my Greem YJ parked there also. Next time I see you walking around campus I will say HI, I usually see you walkin past the Sociology building about noon.

P.S. I too am in the B.S degree, I have just choosen to train in Chrysler products for the 2 year, and then go to the four year when I am done. Maybe also double major in communications.