LQ4 Build

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Just realized I never updated this. I’m very pleased with this motor. It put just over 250 hp down through that big gear driven tcase and 40” tires. The calcs with air and fuel equate to about 500 hp at the crank. It is very torquey, making 450+ lb-ft at the tire 1200 rpm and beyond. Peak torque is close to 550. After driving it, i believe it. Quite the ripper. Sand dunes are much smaller than they used to be.

The shift points were a little wonky when I was in sand hollow a couple weeks ago. It shifted super early and refused to down shift, even with my foot on the floor. I went back to the tuner’s last Saturday to rectify the issues. I drove while he data logged. We’d pull over and he’d make changes. The shift points were way off because the final drive ratio was way off. Once we got that corrected it was shifting much better and when expected while driving normally. Not holding the gears too long or too short. After that it was time to dial in shifting at WOT. The first few passes resulted in bouncing off the rev limiter. It wouldn’t shift until I lifted. Slowly dialed each gear in with each pass. By the end of our session, it shifts right before the rev limiter and barks the tires at each shift all they way into 4th gear. 😳😍 It’s safe to say that we exceeded the Q speed rating on tires.

Awesome! 550 ft/lbs is incredible, with 450 coming in at 1200 rpm! That's the perfect Jeep engine! 😍

Interesting about the trans shift points and final drive ratio being off... any idea why it was? Tire size and gear ratio info wrong? Or using a low range gear?

I'd love to see this thing on the trail some day soon, sounds like the perfect upgrade to your TJ to take it to the next level!

RockChucker

The PCS controller is doing weird things. The tuner is a bit baffled. The final drive ratio should be 5.38. But ended up at 4.37 to make it happy. The pcs seems to do things in the background that are different from the oem controller.

RockChucker

Whelp. The oem savanna air cleaner I’ve been running for years was identified as a severe choke point during engine tuning. In fact the 3.5” intake tube alone was a choke point. I borrowed an 06 LBZ oem air cleaner designed by Donaldson that I hoped would fit. No dice. They are a super cool air cleaner with a vortex generating dust separator on the front and a powercore filter. Volant sells a powercore filter that is nearly as big as the duramax one and has a rubber neck on it to adapt it to 4” tubing. I picked up one of those and a prefilter. But I really like the dynamic dust separator concept. So I drew one up and it is 3D printing now. Hopefully it works out.

9CF28FCB-9553-437F-8E7A-B9E3089EBD89.jpeg
6255C924-4E60-4947-B183-D774FB72334A.jpeg
73519BBB-14F3-48B1-846C-DC467C7802C0.jpeg
976F7052-0D9D-4DA0-8C18-8A94797EFA7F.jpeg
B7201784-5339-4EBC-BD27-3D47D06083CC.jpeg
074F9549-4216-4ABC-87EE-B98B5DD0FF01.jpeg

1969honda

Supporting Member
thread jack warning.....

Is that ABS, PLA, PTEG? How do you like the BL touch? I'm not as tech savvy on my kids Ender 3 Pro as i should be and it's been showing lately with crappy prints from clogged nozzles and such.

RockChucker

In an effort to make this thing slightly more kid friendly and get rid of some terrible harmonics from having no tube past the muffler, I went full JK and put a carven tr series resonator underneath my fuel tank. Insulated it with some heat products heat shield so it hopefully doesn’t cook my fuel. Enjoy some pics and a cold start video.
E2167BF9-CFAF-4957-8939-9AE121A58047.jpeg
AF3C1B3D-C066-4903-A5BE-CFDCAC0C3FDF.jpeg
A26B4AA3-E15F-41B8-80D8-2DAB5EC09D27.jpeg
C0DBEEDD-307B-4D8C-8A84-453D9C839071.jpeg

It took away a lot of the harshness and quieted it slightly. I’m happy with it. Hopefully I don’t need to build a skid plate for it 🤦🏽‍♂️ Going to SH this weekend. I’ll have an in cab review shortly.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It sounds good, still throaty without being harsh. What size is your exhaust, 3"?

I planned to run a good sized Magnaflow muffler, possibly a short race cat to help clean up stinky exhaust fumes.... and now I'm planning to add a resonator to my LQ4 TJ, thanks for doing the homework on this one! 😆👍