LTJ2

Bart

Just thought I'd share a new project I'm working on with Matt, the friend that helped me with the frame and suspension on my last LTJ project. We're doing this for a friend/customer and have a slightly different plan than the last one.

We're stretching this one long enough to mount a stock TJ Unlimited top on it, unlike my LTJ that was the same wheelbase as an Unlimited, but the body/frame was 5" shorter.

Attachments

• 1stcut1sm.jpg
    1stcut1sm.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 1stcut2sm.jpg
    1stcut2sm.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: SSR

Cascadia

Undecided
When and where are you working on this? If it'd be ok I'd like to come by and help out and learn. I'm hoping to stretch the yj soon.

Caleb

So what's the benefit of this going to be over just getting an LJ if it's going to have the same wheelbase and be as long? Cool to see a good project though :)

Bart

It's in my buddies shop, so I'll get in touch with you.

Advantage to this is the TJ is already built with Atlas,Tera 60s, long arm suspension.... It's much easier and cheaper to do this than to buy an Unlimited and swap everything.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
When I first read the headline I thought for sure you were stretching the red one. Good to see you're leaving your's alone (for now).

Now, about that Harley thing...... :rofl:

We'll be thinking about you in Arizona this weekend! You still going to meet us in Wendover? Please!! I'll be the only male there, with a bunch of tanked up women. I may need rescuing!

Bart

Have fun and ride safe. As fun as it sounds I don't think the Wendover thing is going to work next weekend. You have a good time with all the estrogen.

kyojin

Excited to see how this turns out. I lengthened my body 15 inches and put on a soft top from an LJ. Fits great. My wheelbase is a little longer at 107".

UPNO4

Addicted
Well we have made some progress
Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0302.jpg
    IMG_0302.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 52

UPNO4

Addicted
More

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0326sm.jpg
    IMG_0326sm.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

UPNO4

Addicted
Hope you are ready for more

Attachments

• Jjeep37.jpg
    Jjeep37.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Jjeep36.jpg
    Jjeep36.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Jjeep35.jpg
    Jjeep35.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 50
  • LSide1.jpg
    LSide1.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 51
  • LSide2.jpg
    LSide2.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

UPNO4

Addicted
So I guess some details might be good as well

So tear down is pretty obvious, except we left the Long Arms hooked up so it could be moved if needed

Cut the frame after careful measuring

We sleeved the frame at the joints where the extension is then fish plated the outside for strength probably overkill since the Frame and Roll Cage are tied together, but better safe then sorry

We spent some time making sure the frame was square and that there isn't any twist

Next step was to figure where the suspension mounts were going to be, we are using Teraflex LJ Lowers man they are beefy, since the uppers are pretty safe we just got the weld in inserts and are using .120 wall DOM to save a little $$ lined up the pinion angle and there it is rear suspension

Next came the Coilover Mounts, had to relocate the Caliper mounts to the front of the axle so we could get clearance for the Coil Overs

Now we are fitting the rear of the tub, going good so far we bought the top rails from Jeep and they are helping us get the tub the right length and we are keeping the top plates removeable since they can damaged pretty easy
we are also using the Gen Right Aluminum Sides to fit for length as well

Welding the tub on tomorrow yippie we can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Bart

Sorry I couldn't help last night, but looks like you and Kev made great progress. Today is the big day and I'm slacking again. Good luck. We'll need more pics.

UPNO4

Addicted
Well Back at it today

We have the Tub welded back on and it looks pretty good

Attachments

• IMG_0350[1].jpg
    IMG_0350[1].jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0352[1].jpg
    IMG_0352[1].jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0353[1].jpg
    IMG_0353[1].jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0354[1].jpg
    IMG_0354[1].jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 44

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Wheelbase is good! I like this. Hopefully you will get it done in time to drive over Meat's heap of TJ, before he makes any more wisecracks about you. ;)

Nice and clean, no funky body panels. Nicely done. :D

Bart

Looks great, i'm getting ideas on what to do to the wife's YJ this winter.....Like where this is going...keep posting pics please :greg:

We'll be doing Matt's (UPNO4) YJ in the next stretch project, prolly this winter. This project has been much more precise than my first LTJ and is coming out sweet. Making me think twice about my current TJ. If it didn't already have the GenRight stretch it would be a no brainer.