LX470 misfires, died

DAA

My daughter was on the freeway in the LX470, check engine light started flashing. From her description, it was misfiring badly. Then it just died. Now it won't even try to turn over.

Towed it home. Pulled codes.

P0300 - Random misfire
P0303 - Cyl 3 misfire
P0306 - Cyl 6 misfire
P1325 - Cyl 6 Igniter circuit malfunction

Cleared the codes in hopes it would turn over. But no change. Lights, blower, chimes, everything comes on and works. Torque says no fault codes (after clearing them). But turn the key, nothing. Has 160k miles, plugs were changed along with timing belt at about 130k.

Don't know where to start. Ideas?

- DAA

bobn

Dave, you might try a new coil in cyl 6, and possibly cyl 3 also. Not sure why it won't crank, possibly the ECM won't fire with two cylinders out. Once you have the new coils in and hook the battery back up it may reboot the ECM.
Good luck.

4x4_Welder

I'd start with the no crank issue. If it's truly nothing, no clunk at all, start with the battery. Is it dead? Most modern vehicles will not engage the starter if the battery is too low. After that, check the fuses. Make sure anything that says ignition, injector, or transmission control is in good shape and is getting power. Make sure the heavy cable from the battery to the fuse block has good connections at both ends.

DAA

Thanks fellas. Really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions. I'll be messing with it here in a couple of hours and will follow up on your ideas.

Carl, no have not posted anywhere else, just here.

The no crank is truly nothing. Like the computer is denying the attempt.

Battery "seems" okay. It's just over a year old. But it's an O'Reilly house brand and I've had baaaad luck with them, so... I put the charger on it last night anyway, just on GP, so it should be fully charged for sure this morning. Checked fuses last night with a flashlight and they all looked good, will look again in better light and put a tester on the primary suspects today.

Will make sure it turns by hand. That's a good idea. Probably do that first.

Will check/clean connections. If I can get it to crank and start, will check the alternator. Will find the ground on the motor and inspect.

Occurred to me that although very unlikely, because the timing belt was replaced, but if it jumped time it could maybe explain symptoms. Need to look for some timing marks and if it does turn by hand just double check TDC.

Am tempted to put a new coil in for #6, too. Mainly because P01325 is so specific to that. Looks really easy. Not really cheap though, I've got to the point that I only use factory electrical parts anymore.

Fun, fun...

- DAA

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Be aware that torque will not always give you all of the codes. when I was chasing the "throttle stuck open and closed at the same time" issue the shop that fixed it found other codes that torque did not reveal.

DAA

Thought about the hidden codes. Will probably disconnect the battery for awhile in hopes of clearing them if they are there. Would rather get a pro scan tool on it first but that's not in the card's.

- DAA

DAA

WOW!!! Thats a bummer! What year? Any prior issues or warnings?

It's a 2002. No warnings. Although, my new driver daughter has been driving it since August, I've just started it and moved it out of my way a lot, but haven't actually driven it that whole time. There may have been some signs she just didn't notice.

- DAA