Mach-E motor available in a crate.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Fossil fuel > electric. Always and forever.

No battle.
I am not at all hung up on fossil fuels. In fact I'm ready to make the jump, I'm just waiting for the range to be there.

The batteries are concerning, from a green perspective, but that'll clean up as the tech matures.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Throwing out all of the many arguments about how green electric vehicles really are when considering the energy it takes to produce them, charge them, and disassemble or recycle or trash them…
going strictly off of their performance and ability…
An electric vehicle is just fine if you have a very set routine that you rarely stray from.
If the vehicle can get you to work and back on a charge and that’s what you do five days a week, and then stay home and mow your lawn on the weekends, I see no problem with them.
But if you have any kind of random scheduling, random trips to varying locations and distances, or need a vehicle that is capable of towing anything, then electric vehicles are far away from suitable.
Wasn’t it somebody on here that tried to tow a trailer to Moab with a Tesla that took like 18 hours to get there?

ID Bronco

Throwing out all of the many arguments about how green electric vehicles really are when considering the energy it takes to produce them, charge them, and disassemble or recycle or trash them…
going strictly off of their performance and ability…
An electric vehicle is just fine if you have a very set routine that you rarely stray from.
If the vehicle can get you to work and back on a charge and that’s what you do five days a week, and then stay home and mow your lawn on the weekends, I see no problem with them.
But if you have any kind of random scheduling, random trips to varying locations and distances, or need a vehicle that is capable of towing anything, then electric vehicles are far away from suitable.
Wasn’t it somebody on here that tried to tow a trailer to Moab with a Tesla that took like 18 hours to get there?

My uncle is that guy.

The_Lobbster

Interesting though is that it is designed specifically for transverse mount. Does make me wonder why they didn't make a longitudinal version that can accept a driveshaft so you could drop it into something older and just use the existing rear drivetrain and a modified driveshaft.

There's a couple electric samurai conversions floating around the web I've seen, I was tossing up the idea, but the weight of the batteries kinda killed it for me.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There is an electric trophy truck planning to run the Baja 500 this next year. Planning on a single battery change so presumably a 250 mile range which in a trophy truck is a long ways.

Of course Lordstown tried this recently with the Baja 250 and decided after 40 miles that they were not going to have the needed range for the other 80% of the race

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
There is an electric trophy truck planning to run the Baja 500 this next year. Planning on a single battery change so presumably a 250 mile range which in a trophy truck is a long ways.

Of course Lordstown tried this recently with the Baja 250 and decided after 40 miles that they were not going to have the needed range for the other 80% of the race

You would think they would have done at least some testing before hand. The article makes it seem like they had no idea they would need more energy for bigger tires in the dirt

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
There is an Alta motorcycle that has attempted some of the shorter desert races. I've not seen it finish.
If I remember right, He had a spare battery at remote pits (gas stop) and didn't make it.

If I could get my hands on one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd pay over book too. They're like hens teeth since Alta went belly up.