Making adult friends

Pike2350

I just wanted to bring this up as sort of a frustration vent.

I've been trying to organize a trip to Moab with some friends and family. I had interest a few months ago and now that I'm trying to work on accommodations I'm getting crickets.

It's frustrating because I used to visualize me with a group of friends and families hanging out and doing things together... but I'm realizing this is seemingly not meant to be. A few years ago my wife and I did Moab with a few friends and had a blast. Now it seems that we can't very people together to do these things anymore. I have always had a decent group of friends but getting older and everything it's just slipping away.

Even the people I am trying to get organized aren't into wheeling. 1 is... but the rest not so much. It just seems I've been struggling with this more lately.

/Vent off

Coco

I just wanted to bring this up as sort of a frustration vent.

I've been trying to organize a trip to Moab with some friends and family. I had interest a few months ago and now that I'm trying to work on accommodations I'm getting crickets.

It's frustrating because I used to visualize me with a group of friends and families hanging out and doing things together... but I'm realizing this is seemingly not meant to be. A few years ago my wife and I did Moab with a few friends and had a blast. Now it seems that we can't very people together to do these things anymore. I have always had a decent group of friends but getting older and everything it's just slipping away.

Even the people I am trying to get organized aren't into wheeling. 1 is... but the rest not so much. It just seems I've been struggling with this more lately.

/Vent off

I know this feeling all too well. It is utterly frustrating for sure. I can relate to all of this.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
@Cody where'd the cookie page go?

She changed it to thebakerystudioco just to take the Utah out of the name.

Morgan is now home pretty much full time. She doesn't bake as much anymore.... She's selling cookie cutters. We have 5 3d printers running pretty much 24/7. I've basically become a 3d printer repair and maintenance expert trying to keep these things running. It's a semi welcome late night distraction from my other project. She's doing about 5k per month at ~75% margin and she's only been at it since late may, early June.

She is doing some cookie design classes for the U and potentially for Orson gygi. But right now it's just the cutters bringing home the dough. Hopefully I'll be a kept man soon enough.

Per the current subject, I like to organize and plan trips and events too. I've been that way for long enough now that I don't take it personally if people have other things going on and I don't go herding cats if they aren't responding. If nobody goes, cool, I'll just go alone or i always have a backup plan. I don't need reasons from anyone, I'll still include them next time. If you organize things and give people too hard of a time or take it too personally, you just become that guy that's kind of difficult to be friends with.

Last edited:

Pike2350

Im not really taking it personal. Im more sad that I don't have friends with similar interests anymore...and little effort on their part to actually get together.

Since I'm not the best at going it alone, I need to try it I guess. I've never beenvery versed in Moab snd have always been hesitant to wheel alone. However, that may just be what it comes to.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Im not really taking it personal. Im more sad that I don't have friends with similar interests anymore...and little effort on their part to actually get together.

Since I'm not the best at going it alone, I need to try it I guess. I've never beenvery versed in Moab snd have always been hesitant to wheel alone. However, that may just be what it comes to.

I used to do moab alone. I would sleep under my buggy on the trailer, then pal around city market and sheepishly befriend strangers or try to coordinate with the random forum folk that seemed least likely to cause me to wake up in a bathtub full of ice, one kidney lighter. Met some great people that way.. Some of my longest and most valued friends. Some of which I haven't seen in years, still consider friends, and wouldn't hesitate to spend a week camping or wheelin with. Some weirdos too for sure, but I can take anyone for short periods of time, even @Stephen. Lots of tourists love having a local guide and you can make up all sorts of fake stories about how Butch Cassidy himself used to herd his family's prizes Alpacas on this route between green river and moab. Being on your own schedule also gives you f*ck it flexibility. If you decide you want to sleep in and go swim in the river instead of wheelin? F*ck it. You blow your last set of crappy Dana 44 parts and you've already scavenged every last compatible set within 75 miles? F*ck it, go for a hike. Who's going to complain, yourself?

I get the sentiment though. It's tough when friendships drift. Times change, hobbies change, priorities chsnge. I'm bad at letting things go and probably should be more realistic about what I have time to do. I miss Rock crawling a ton and would love a buggy or well built trail rig... No I was right the first time, a buggy... But if I bought one would I actually have time to use it? And would the people I know that have similar rigs also be on similar schedules and want to go or would I be back to acting lost and homeless at city market again?

Caleb

Being on your own schedule also gives you f*ck it flexibility. If you decide you want to sleep in and go swim in the river instead of wheelin? F*ck it. You blow your last set of crappy Dana 44 parts and you've already scavenged every last compatible set within 75 miles? F*ck it, go for a hike. Who's going to complain, yourself?

This is a huge reason of why I'm so content to go do my own thing. I don't have to please anyone, worry what they think (not that I really care), care about anyone else's schedule, etc. If I decide to totally change my plans at the last minute, the only approval I need is my own :D . I usually will go to tech conferences by myself for the same reason.

It is fun to have company you enjoy, but quite often it's better to not worry about it. My wife, son and I could go live at our cabin, disconnected from society and not have any problems with that :p

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I used to do moab alone. I would sleep under my buggy on the trailer, then pal around city market and sheepishly befriend strangers or try to coordinate with the random forum folk that seemed least likely to cause me to wake up in a bathtub full of ice, one kidney lighter. Met some great people that way..

That's pretty much how we met. X-D

Last edited:

Pike2350

I could probably manage Ebay yugioh described @Cody before I was married. My wife isn't into the f@ck it planning. Which is usually his I live. Im trying though.

I now need to decide if I want to take my wife and 2 daughters to Moab with no one else. There's a little contention between my oldest and wife (stepmom) at 10yrs old she'm can be a bit spazzy. Then I also get to deal with my wife being somewhat anxious about our 18 month old and how she'll handle the trail.

It's a few issues compiled.....but having friends with similar family situations helps most of us have others to associate with and not get on each other's nerves due to how we handle things. When we're in a group we seem to relax more.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I now need to decide if I want to take my wife and 2 daughters to Moab with no one else.

When are you going down again? I always check to see what Moab Friends For Wheeling have on their schedule. They are great people and always seem down to have people join up on their rides.