Marc Bryson lazy "build" -JT Gladiator Rubicon

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Not a win for the first radio mount16668380146112089306649716116221.jpg

This would work better for someone that didn't have this cute little saddle bag thing for more storage . I want to keep that for whatever reason 16668381049815922290814499937930.jpg

Maybe a GMRS will work with that bracket?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Not a win for the first radio mount20221026_203914.jpg

This would work better for someone that didn't have this cute little saddle bag thing for more storage . I want to keep that for whatever reason 20221026_203903.jpg

Maybe a GMRS will work with that bracket

mbryson

Supporting Member
So I have one of these on the way. More than I want to pay but it might do a lot more for me than just be a radio mount? Look at me! I'm TACTICAL! At least when they ship it to me :D

1666879308677.png

1666879405828.png

Installation is pretty tough. I'll have to drill two holes in the sheetmetal under the panel above the rear view mirror (if I'm remembering the right install). I'm not sure if I'll ever pull the "freedom panels" off? I like the shade on my dome too much.

Now I just need to reroute my coax cables from the antennas through the trim. I'll run power from my underseat ARB compressor (not likely to be running when I'm transmitting on the radios---at least that's my thinking) that is fused at the battery and up the passenger side interior B pillar. Once the radios are in, I think I just want a fridge and we'll evaluate from there.

Are the 37" tires "enough" off road?
Would l like a different brand lift?
Will the current front bumper be a cooling issue with the Warn winch mounted that high?
...whatever else I run across.

Thinking back to my Moab trip (not the most difficult of trails at all), the truck is LONG but not awkwardly so. It will drive quite a bit different than my "Jeep" but kind of in a good way. I'm a little open to trying to camp a few nights out of this dawg but we'll see how that goes.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Not a win for the first radio mountView attachment 153528

This would work better for someone that didn't have this cute little saddle bag thing for more storage . I want to keep that for whatever reason View attachment 153529

Maybe a GMRS will work with that bracket
The Midland MXT275 is super thin. The base is 1.5" H x 5" W x 4" L.

I mounted it under my center console and ran an extension cable for the hand unit to a blank in the dash. Everything is nice an hidden and it works like a charm. Only complaint is that if you bury the base unit, you need to run an external speaker, which I mounted under the driver seat.

mbryson

Supporting Member
The Midland MXT275 is super thin. The base is 1.5" H x 5" W x 4" L.

I mounted it under my center console and ran an extension cable for the hand unit to a blank in the dash. Everything is nice an hidden and it works like a charm. Only complaint is that if you bury the base unit, you need to run an external speaker, which I mounted under the driver seat.

I actually had the Midland MXT115 in my grubby hands. I got looking at it before unpackaging it and got a little gun shy on the 15 channels vs 22 channels on other units. I sent it back to the vendor. The MXT275 appears to be the same? I have ZERO experience with the GMRS radios, just have had a LARGE number of folks at EJS grumble about RR4W not having GMRS and still sticking to CB. What's your take on the 15 channels vs the other units 22 channels? I love the profile of the Midland units.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
This is the GMRS Antenna I have. Let me know if you're interested and we can work out a deal.

mbryson

Supporting Member
This is the GMRS Antenna I have. Let me know if you're interested and we can work out a deal.

I found a bonus antenna in my "radio box" that I think will work. (mostly full of broken CB units---I need to stop my hoarding ways) Let me get back to you if that antenna doesn't work out.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I actually had the Midland MXT115 in my grubby hands. I got looking at it before unpackaging it and got a little gun shy on the 15 channels vs 22 channels on other units. I sent it back to the vendor. The MXT275 appears to be the same? I have ZERO experience with the GMRS radios, just have had a LARGE number of folks at EJS grumble about RR4W not having GMRS and still sticking to CB. What's your take on the 15 channels vs the other units 22 channels? I love the profile of the Midland units.
My understanding is that there are 15 GMRS channels (1-15) and 8 repeater channels (15-22) , totaling 22 (overlapping channel 15). I have not had an issue in the approximately year that I've used it. Crystal clear compared to CB, but not as good as HAM. You do need to have an FCC License to operate, which is probably why RR4W's haven't switched to it because for an event that high profile, I'm sure the FCC would check them out.