Marc Bryson lazy "build" -JT Gladiator Rubicon

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Trail day #11 is in the books. Eric and I took a quick trip through Steel Bender today. Trail day #12 is tomorrow in the Swell with RR4W trail of the month.

Here's the link

Super capable for how big it is.
20230317_131709.jpg

Scratched a wheel. (Surprise!)
20230317_135718.jpg

I didn't have to use a locker or really even back up on obstacle for a different line today. With how long it is, you have to choose some interesting lines through things at times.

31* slope. It measured 33* when I was going down it but I didn't have the phone handy/ready.20230317_154429.jpg

mbryson

Supporting Member
Trail day #12 in the books. Unfortunately no real photos as my phone camera was "over heated" all day :confused:

I met up for RR4W trail of the month. We met in Green River and ran Eva Conover-coal wash -Devils Racetrack as a loop. Great scenery as always. Kind of slower going than I like (but that's a RR4W run).

20230318_141809.jpg

We ended up slogging through mud the last 45 minutes to get from the end of Devil Racetrack to the interstate.

20230318_190421.jpg20230318_190413.jpg

I'll probably need to park the truck in the lawn with a sprinkler under it for a couple hours today?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Trail day #13:

EJS 2023 Hells Revenge. I've probably ran Hells 60-70 times over the years? Possibly more? I have about 23-24 years on it with 100" wheelbase. First time with 135" today.

I found myself on cruise control mode for most of the trail which honestly got me in trouble a bit. This is not 100".

Fair amount of hitch dragging and a couple belly bumps (less belly bumps than expected). Super comfy truck. Ran Hells Gate. Stairway to Heaven.

No pics of my rig today unfortunately.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Trail day #14:

Poison Spider. Hit the trailhead at 9:30-9:45 after a drivers meeting including an appearance by our local BLM rep. (Not sure of her title)

20230402_101523.jpg

20230402_114754.jpg

This might be one of my favorite modern Jeeps I've seen. Personal project by a shop owner from VA. LS engine, 102" wheelbase, appropriate axles, stretched tub AND top that is OEM looking or better. 20230402_121205.jpg

20230402_121210.jpg

A 30ish couple REALLY enjoy this rig swapping to the driver's seat pretty regularly. Super cool folks and solid drivers.

20230402_140322.jpg

20230402_152258.jpg

Oh, and 39" tires would sure be nice.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Trail day 15:

10 am Metal Masher20230403_134939.jpg20230403_134951.jpg20230403_135021.jpg20230403_140641.jpg

I did not get a lot of pics. Had a mostly great time (had to go on a tirade to a participant about staying on the trail and probably was a total ass about it). Always awesome to spend some time with @glockman and crew

Headed home to take care of some personal items and swap out the 37" Mickey Thompson MTZ for the 39" BFG KM3

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Trail day 15:

10 am Metal MasherView attachment 158564View attachment 158565View attachment 158566View attachment 158567

I did not get a lot of pics. Had a mostly great time (had to go on a tirade to a participant about staying on the trail and probably was a total ass about it). Always awesome to spend some time with @glockman and crew

Headed home to take care of some personal items and swap out the 37" Mickey Thompson MTZ for the 39" BFG KM3
It was a great time. You and Brett run a tight ship. I love it. Also love seeing @ebryson walk up things in the highschool TJ.

I didn't think you were an ass. I appreciate passion about protecting our rights.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Just some post EJS observations. This seems like a theme to me, but I had to bail on the last couple of days of EJS. I had a member of my IT team pass away last week. I obviously would want to attend services and they were going to happen on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday didn't happen due to storms and vehicle travel issues for the family. I however had started my trek home on Tuesday when.i got notified about the changes in plan and just followed through with the arrangements I had made with the club and my family.

I fully intended to come home and swap the JT to the 39" tires after my Hells Revenge experience at EJS. It wasn't that bad, but had a lot of bumping and grinding on the hitch and a bit on the belly. Poison Spider was similar but not as bad. Metal Masher was surprisingly not an issue except for one belly (driver error) and a couple of planned hitch bangs/bumps. That was a bit frustrating as I have been able to pick my way through every other trail I have been on. The 39" would make a pretty significant difference.

To be honest, the JT will likely only see this level of trail at EJS. Most other trail days/times, I have had rare issues where I couldn't take an appropriate line that kept the truck "safe". That includes prerunning Steel Bender a couple of weeks ago.

I think I'm going to stick with the 37" MTZ for a while. I've put almost 14k miles on them and am pretty happy with them even through the snowy winter we have had.

Moab has beat the #RockTrix wheels up pretty bad. I didn't have a scratch on the wheels until Steel Bender. Now all 4 are marked up pretty good, one is still serviceable but marred on a couple spokes. The others just have cosmetic damage

Due to other uses of the truck, I think I will stick to the 37" tires.

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
"trail day" 15.25

20230414_192604.jpg20230414_192548.jpg

I have a trip coming up where I need to be expo. What is more expo than a JT with a RTT? This actually has a slide-in rack that attaches to the bed with some camper turn buckles to keep it in place.

Don't I need some REI pants and some fancy Keen boots to be expo?

Really, I have a free weekend and wanted to test drive the tent/sleeping setup before the Expedition Utah ghost town tour in a few weeks. Tent is a new old stock Mombasa complete with the crappy ladder (it's not that bad once you use it a few times? Not as cool as the ARB Simpson ladder/tent I had with my Cummins)

Should be a bit chilly tonight. We'll see how warm I am when I can duck in the house and cuddle if I get cold

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
I can't wait to sip coffee and Baileys and puff on a cigar and watch you fold that thing up in the morning :D. Needs 'traxx and 'paxx for expo points these days though. And a Hi Lift with gold color zinc coated hardware.

- DAA

I'm worth the laugh already in my glamping ways. I'm about 6-7 minutes to deploy and about 8-9 minutes to put it away. It'd be pretty awesome if you stood there with a revolver and shot at my feet to get me to hurry up ;)

I have a newish hi-lift. I also have Teraflex bed bars. Hmmmmm

Last edited:

DAA

Expo guys don't carry chainsaws. Legit car campers carry chainsaws. I heartily approve! I'm jealous of the cargo space to afford the luxury. I'm stuck with an axe.

Was wishing we had a chainsaw on a GTT a couple years ago. @glockman can swing an axe like nobodies business though. Not him in the pic, but when he grabbed my axe trees started getting the eff out of the way.

20210624_GTT-68.jpg

- DAA

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
That's a pretty slick rack Marc. I could use something like that for my GMC but don't want to store it.

I'm going to trek in August to help with food and have been thinking about how to haul my rtt.