Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know what it is.....trail rig?

Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know... "Jeep" works

Owners Name & City-

Marc Bryson, Woods Cross, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

Excellent question. Titled as a '80 CJ

Engine-

'89 TBI 350

Transmission-

700R4

T-Case-

D300

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker. full width

Rear : Shaved 14 Bolt with spool, 4.56 gears. full width

Suspension-

Waggy fronts

XJ rears (reversed) 101" wheelbase

Wheels and Tires-

38" Super Swamper TSL/SX on stock H1 wheels with PVC beadlocks

Winch-

T-Max 9000

Favorite Trails-

Pritchett, Coyote Canyon, Mineral Basin

Other-

lots......

backontrailer.jpg

abandoned_rig.jpg

I'll get some 'action' pics next time I take it out. (it might be all one color by then, but who knows.......)

Attached are 'all one color' pics.......

freshpaint.jpg

freshpaint2.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Drivelines and traction bar back in along with the crossmembers. I need to do a little floor modification for the shifters. It's clocked a little different but not to much. Better front driveline angle. 16970803661783270491928666326874.jpg

What's a D300 weigh? 50-60 lbs? I should probably quit bench pressing crap like that in place one of these days?

Edit: Novak says 85 lbs for weight...

Trickle charging the battery for tomorrow to take a test drive. Leak check.

Can be trail ready pdq.

-Track bar adjustment (probably partially causing some of this carnage)
- final weld traction bar to 14 bolt
-fluid (trans is LOW) check
-move back in (stripped of a lot of personal items to sell)

mbryson

Supporting Member
Coil overs vs ORI vs JT coils/shocks or 2.5 air shocks

Stretch tub to LJ, CJ8 or leave it

Definitely doing an Atlas (I imagine I'll have to rework the drivelines with that--time to stretch if it's ever going to happen)

Seats for sure

Some creature comforts of some kind (operating heater for sure)

Paint

New top

Disk brake 14 bolt (assuming my Detroit is compatible?) (5.13 gears and matching 5.13 for the front D60)

Redo the dash and console

Wiring redo for interior (leverage the full GM interior harness-Suburban donor has every creature comfort I'd ever want in a Jeep--rear air? Power windows?)

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

Stretch to LJ, CJ8 or leave it

Definitely doing an Atlas (I imagine I'll have to rework the drivelines with that--time to stretch if it's ever going to happen)

Seats for sure

Some creature comforts of some kind (operating heater for sure)

Paint

New top

Disk brake 14 bolt (assuming my Detroit is compatible?)

Redo the dash and console

Wiring redo for interior (leverage the full GM interior harness-Suburban donor has every creature comfort I'd ever want in a Jeep--rear air? Power windows?)
You won’t be happy with air shocks. They’re easy to mount, cheap, allow a ton of flex… but they make for a rough trail ride.

mbryson

Supporting Member
$3700 for an Atlas and adapter. I'll have to run that through @skippy and see if he can save me a few $. Advanced Adapters quote 20986. Won't happen until March-April but it's time to make this what I want it to be as @Hickey said previously in this thread. I'm hoping to make this drivable for a 1-2 hour highway trip @ 70 mph. (It'll do that previously but there were some speed limitations)

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

IMO, ORI's are awesome for both packaging and easy setup. Both of those made them easy for me to embrace. I'm a simple guy... and I'm happy with simple things.

The STX ride very well and are incredibly stable, even with my limited setup knowledge. My favorite thing these days is to take way off-camber lines and push my TJ's limits.

On the street the ORI's are amazing... incredibly stable and predictable. I could drive my TJ around town, to the grocery store, etc if I wanted to. It feels very planted on the road.

This was 60-65 MPH in a very short time... with full hydro. Scary, but planted. 😁

The downside is the cost... if you're comparing them to coilovers, by the time you add swaybars, air bumps & limit straps the cost is comparable.

Pile of parts

IMO, ORI's are awesome for both packaging and easy setup. Both of those made them easy for me to embrace. I'm a simple guy... and I'm happy with simple things.

The STX ride very well and are incredibly stable, even with my limited setup knowledge. My favorite thing these days is to take way off-camber lines and push my TJ's limits.

On the street the ORI's are amazing... incredibly stable and predictable. I could drive my TJ around town, to the grocery store, etc if I wanted to. It feels very planted on the road.

This was 60-65 MPH in a very short time... with full hydro. Scary, but planted. 😁

The downside is the cost... if you're comparing them to coilovers, by the time you add swaybars, air bumps & limit straps the cost is comparable.
Everything he said!!!

mbryson

Supporting Member
Water pump replacement. Not that bad just got to do it twice as I apparently let a gasket get away from me when I installed it?

402483207_732972198867648_74124286844306238_n.jpg

Not what you want to see when you've buttoned up a water pump.

45 min in/out isn't too bad?

401430703_733019312196270_4294183936820329005_n.jpg

401815503_733029882195213_1719961338621904132_n.jpg
Well, it arrived back into service last night. Had to do a little parts running last night while the wife had her Lincoln out and about. Buick has some valvetrain noises that I need to check out after putting in those adjustable push rods and the JT is staying overnight at a friend's house (the dealer) for a battery test.

20231116_195410.jpg