Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know what it is.....trail rig?

Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know... "Jeep" works

Owners Name & City-

Marc Bryson, Woods Cross, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

Excellent question. Titled as a '80 CJ

Engine-

'89 TBI 350

Transmission-

700R4

T-Case-

D300

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker. full width

Rear : Shaved 14 Bolt with spool, 4.56 gears. full width

Suspension-

Waggy fronts

XJ rears (reversed) 101" wheelbase

Wheels and Tires-

38" Super Swamper TSL/SX on stock H1 wheels with PVC beadlocks

Winch-

T-Max 9000

Favorite Trails-

Pritchett, Coyote Canyon, Mineral Basin

Other-

lots......

backontrailer.jpg

abandoned_rig.jpg

I'll get some 'action' pics next time I take it out. (it might be all one color by then, but who knows.......)

Attached are 'all one color' pics.......

freshpaint.jpg

freshpaint2.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Need to post an update here: I just killed (mostly) the Crown XJ replacement springs I bought from Carl at Teraflex. They've been "questionable" for at least a year, but the thing works and they haven't quite work-hardened yet. I thought I'd try out some more "robust" springs and chatted with Kurt at CruiserOutfitters. He was willing to bring in some non-Toyota parts on his next order so I had him get some OME 2.5" XJ springs. I did finally get those on the rig this weekend (getting bushings and stuff is kind of a pain, honestly. I'll post up the Moog XJ spring bushing part numbers here for future reference.

Anyway, I'll snag some pics this evening but the 2.5" lift springs are possibly 1/2-3/4" taller than the Crown springs with enhancements they replaced (comparing new spring vs. new spring). The construction of the springs is MUCH hardier and I think they should give some good service. I'm tempted to try another set for the front vs. linking the front up.

mbryson

Supporting Member
After about 9 years of being "silver" it's time to try something different I guess. (cheap enamel is peeling off) Not sure where I want to go with it yet. Kids want it military. Olive-drab or desert tan (not a camo guy). I'm not sure how I feel about that?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You want different? Did you ever see my old Toyota PU when it was covered with Zolatone in Desert Tan? That paint is awesome and it will actually stretch with the sheetmetal when it gets dented, up to 300% IIRC??! It's a multi-color fleck and you can seal it with a clear coat, which makes it a little more shiny but nowhere near 'show car' shine, since the clear will still show some texture.

I'll see if I can find a pic of it, if you don't remember it. I also painted my old CJ5 with Olive Drab Zolatone, no clear coat... it was badass! Problem was that it wasn't sealed and the paint would wash off if you tried hard with the pressure washer... and after a few years, rust started forming from underneath.

These are old pics, so forgive me... :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

And my CJ5, don't think I have any up close (or good) pics.... this was from about 1997... :eek:

Greg%27s%20Pics%20016.jpg

I would love to build another 'old' 4x4 of some sort and coat with with Zolatone again... I loved that stuff.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Time to get going on this again. Got the house move taken care of, now to catch up on projects. I did get the front leaf springs changed out with Old Man EMU leaf springs. They really do seem to be pretty robust. I need to get my compressor hooked up to electric and bolted to the floor and get some little projects done. Nothing major as I need to spend $ on cement and gates and stuff like that for a while. The repaint might have to wait a while but maybe the 'dub van look would work out ok?

mbryson

Supporting Member
I didn't get a lot done on this for EJS 2015. I did get the Old Man Emu springs on the front, new Tom Woods driveline (this thing is awesome--VERY smooth ride now) and some CB radio and just general bolt tightening around the rig. I figured it would be good to go for EJS. No real gnarly trails other than Pritchett on big Sat. This rig is trail proven and I thought I'd be fine. I was proven VERY wrong. Fought the thing all week due to the extra lift the OME springs gave me. I had shackles reversing and they ultimately killed my passenger side main leaf. I had a hydro assist hose decide to wander up and smack my crank pulley on Elephant Hill. Killed the hose and I got to drive the air-down 38" tires out to the trailer from about the "squeeze" or whatever the narrow notch is. My shoulders and arms are still feeling that a week later. That seemed to loosen up my lower bolts on my steering box so I need to attend to that for sure. Got a new hose from our friends at EVCO for under $30. With the steering box looking like it was making an XJ unibody out of my frame, leaf springs being questionable (removed third leaf and thought I was golden but the springs just aren't strong enough for my rig without the leaf in there....they're not in a good way after Fins and Things and Elephant Hill...) and just all around tiredness from the EJS week, I bailed early for home on Thursday night. I didn't dare gun on Pritchett with my rig like it is.

It's likely time to get this thing updated a little. Eric and I wrote down a list on the garage wall when we got back. It's a bit daunting.

Here's the list:
1) Steering box
2) Front suspension
3) cross member bolts
4) seats (?)
5) motor (?)
6) hood (?)
7) paint (?)
8) shocks (rear are piles of Autozone stuff....)
9) winch fix
10) spare tire relocate (lower so I can see out the back window)
11) CB radio (I buy new radio crap every year and have craptastic results)
12) CJ Tailgate
13) D60 ring/pinion/bearings (LOTS of play there now)
14) front driveline

First things first. I need to address the front suspension (fix it forever), get the steering all figured out and repaired and address the loose pinion on the front 60.

I kept tripping over my JK stock springs in the other garage. I have a place for them now (I have a Jeep "shed") and I don't trip over them but I can't help but think those would be REALLY smooth and comfy on this dawg. I'm not sure if I want to go front only or link the front with a 3-link and then do a triangulated four link in the rear and just be done (the both sides is kind of winning----however, I'll do one side at a time so I don't "Greg" myself :D). I have most of the stuff to do this if I use the JK springs and some Bilstein shocks I bought for a Blazer project that never got done. Just need some DOM tube for links (or should I buck up and give Summit Machine a call?). I even have an old draglink that I could likely use for a trackbar (.281 wall 1.25" dom?) but I'd need some heims and some time on a friends lathe to clean up one end of it.

Steering box fix should be pretty straightforward. Deal with the nutcert bullshit on the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame from below (thinking I'll just drill into the frame where the nutserts are and tack the nutsert to the frame to get the bolts out) and take a good long look at that steering box area on the frame. Fix anything wrong with the frame and bolt the box back on.

Pinion bearings in the D60 have never been "good". Possibly adequate but good would be stretching things. 10 years of trails....it's not in the best shape now. Still running stock GM 4.56 gears in the diffs. I wouldn't mind moving to 4.88 gears but don't know that I want to move to 5.13 or deeper with the 4:1 tcase. I think I'll buy some gears for both diffs, bearing kit for the front and maybe full bearing kit for the 14 bolt and just be totally done with both axles. I'll likely never touch them again if I do that?

As I put the rig on the trailer at Elephant Hill, I noticed the drivers side of my crossmember hanging low. One of my studs seems to have backed out (possibly stripped?) and I definitely need to get that taken care of. I've got the crossmember/skidplate dialed in over the years. I'm not thrilled with it, but it works decently and has been very reliable until now. Likely kill the nutcerts holding that stuff together and weld in a repair for that. Sounds like a pretty easy fix to me and should last long.

Other stuff on the list is just nuisance stuff a little. My $75 paint has lasted WAY longer than it should (at least 7-8 years) and I'm kind of ready for an updated look. I'll keep the MB grille and redo the hood a little better. We'll see how far I get with this.

My seats are DONE. Again, they have served well. I bought them second hand and I don't think they'd been through a whole lot before me, but they are kind of sagging to the inside of the rig. (I'm sure my svelteness is helping there) I'll look hard at some MasterCrafts or similar. The Bestops have held up quite well and have been an excellent value, I just would like something a little more supportive and comfy if I'm going to have them bolted to the cage like I do. I'd buy the Bestop seats again if I was still using the stock seat rails to allow access to the back seats.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Whew....what's next? Oh, the TBI 350 I've named "Fernley". That thing has done me well. I feel like I owe it a rebuild. It's been UBER reliable in my '89 Suburban (it ran OUT of oil near Fernley, NV---drove me the rest of the trip to Redding, CA and then back home and has been in my "Jeep" for the past 10 years (possibly 4-5000 miles?)) and in the "Jeep". I like it and it fits this rig. I'd imagine I'd throw about $1000 for a rebuild kit/machine work on a TBI 350?

I'm still running a Tmax winch on this rig. It's done a LOT of pulls but I think it's kind at the end of it's life on my trail rig. Maybe I'll mount it to my trailer or something and buy a Warn M8000 for this thing?

I need to drop my spare tire lower so I can see out the back window. I will likely back over a car or something while I'm out to get milk sometime and be kind of pissed about it. Might take all of 2 hours or something to fix? (lazy bastid)

No IDEA what to do about a CB radio. Mine are just crap. I've spent a bit of money since I've been gunning trails and my radios are UBER sucky. Will likely get John Hall over here one day and have him throw all my junk away and tell me what to buy. He's got the radio thing down like few people I know. I owe him dinner for getting me out of Elephant Hill anyway

Eric put the CJ tailgate on the list. I have had one for quite a while but have never put it on as I have "YJ" corner protection with hinge cutouts. We'll see if this gets done but I do like the tailgate more than the swinging type tailgate nowadays

When the front suspension is DONE and dialed in, I'll throw some $ at Tom Woods again for a front CJ driveline. I really like the rear I have, I'm sure the front will be great.

Now I just need to figure out how to fund all this upgrade stuff and use the stuff I have kicking around to make it affordable but effective. In a way I hate to lose the leaf springs as they are SUPER predictable and comfortable on off-camber stuff. I'll need to work with my suspension knowledgeable friends to get the front/rear suspension setup how I'll want it to work but it'll be worth the ride and reliability to get it done. I guess I'm to old for leaf springs now?

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
-however, I'll do one side at a time so I don't "Greg" myself :D ).

:cody:

Run with your plan and add a Currie anti-rock bar or something similar to keep it stable. Build your linked suspension with a decent amount of up-travel and if you can swing it, some air bumps... it'll haul arse and crawl in comfort!