Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know what it is.....trail rig?

Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know... "Jeep" works

Owners Name & City-

Marc Bryson, Woods Cross, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

Excellent question. Titled as a '80 CJ

Engine-

'89 TBI 350

Transmission-

700R4

T-Case-

D300

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker. full width

Rear : Shaved 14 Bolt with spool, 4.56 gears. full width

Suspension-

Waggy fronts

XJ rears (reversed) 101" wheelbase

Wheels and Tires-

38" Super Swamper TSL/SX on stock H1 wheels with PVC beadlocks

Winch-

T-Max 9000

Favorite Trails-

Pritchett, Coyote Canyon, Mineral Basin

Other-

lots......

backontrailer.jpg

abandoned_rig.jpg

I'll get some 'action' pics next time I take it out. (it might be all one color by then, but who knows.......)

Attached are 'all one color' pics.......

freshpaint.jpg

freshpaint2.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well, the start of the 39" BFG MT era begins. 38" Kevlars have been very good to my Jeep. Hoping for the same with the BFG. Drives down the road quite a bit better with the BFG for sure. Not a lot of sidewall squat at 15 psi (at least not yet--we'll see how the H2 beads hold up for EJS 2021)

1616118991561.png

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well, the start of the 39" BFG MT era begins. 38" Kevlars have been very good to my Jeep. Hoping for the same with the BFG. Drives down the road quite a bit better with the BFG for sure. Not a lot of sidewall squat at 15 psi (at least not yet--we'll see how the H2 beads hold up for EJS 2021)

View attachment 135816
Those rims looks like they have the same backspacing as the ones I got from John.

RockChucker

I’ve been pretty happy with mine. I mounted them on beadlocks and ran them. No tire balance of any kind. Had em up to 85 and it was pretty smooth. They work pretty good right out of the box. Need to get some more trail miles on them to break them in. I do wish they were an inch or 2 taller...but it’s all good. I run about 20 psi for the road. And about 15 psi while wheelin. Mostly because pinch flats while going fast suck.

Bart

Congrats. I love mine. It took some breaking in to get them to hook up well, but they do great now. I run mine at 9 in the front and 8 in the rear, but they're on beadlocks.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Congrats. I love mine. It took some breaking in to get them to hook up well, but they do great now. I run mine at 9 in the front and 8 in the rear, but they're on beadlocks.
Drove it to work today at 15 psi to see if some heat would help a little? Didn't seem to help at all. Likely just need some trail time. I'm hoping to be able to run them where I ran the MTRs, about 11-12 psi. Might have to go a little lower to get them to break in and hook but the H2 aren't really the greatest wheel out there for bead retention.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Drove it to work today at 15 psi to see if some heat would help a little? Didn't seem to help at all. Likely just need some trail time. I'm hoping to be able to run them where I ran the MTRs, about 11-12 psi. Might have to go a little lower to get them to break in and hook but the H2 aren't really the greatest wheel out there for bead retention.
Sunday Snakes?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I have a solution for that. 😎

mbryson

Supporting Member
So, observations from a week in the Jeep.
  • BFG muds are pretty respectable. I put a little air in them as the week went on. One big difference I noticed between the MTR and BFG was the significant width difference. Driving adjustments were made and we soldiered on. The newer rubber gripped significantly better than the 10+ year old Goodyear’s. The BFG drives MUCH better on the roads than the MTR ever dreamed of. I ended the week at 13-14 psi
  • I need/want some new seats. The cheap Bestop seats have served me well. Probably time to seek out a solid replacement
  • I need to complete my rear 4 link purchases and get that done. (Need to buy some upper link helms and upper links. Some kind of low profile truss for the 14 bolt. Add some shocks and hope the 3” Rockcrawler XJ springs are a good spring rate for the rear) The leafs on the back have seen their day. I have to be very gentle on climbs and such to keep “bounce” out of the rear. Gentle isn’t bad but it’d be nice to have some confidence in the rear setup
  • I’ve always wanted to stretch this to LJ or CJ8 length but I think I just leave it at 100-102” and go from there. Keep the easily replaceable top and such. If I’m going to do it, now is the time before redoing the rear suspension
  • D300: what can I say. Not the biggest fan. I may just try to find a pass drop 241 and never think about a transfer case again? I think I’ve used front dig maybe 10-12 times in the time I’ve had the Jeep?
7C4CF523-9344-427C-9C96-0BBA45A3AFE1.jpeg
we kept running into #freebritney stickers randomly around Moab this year
6065A730-12B1-44CD-B406-5A46518765D5.jpeg

Last edited:

RockChucker

My brother had a gm 241 in his tj. It worked great. He did spend the coin on a super short sye from jb conversions. At d300 prices these days you could probably make that a net zero $$ swap haha

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I put in a 241 in my Commando, its a mix of a Dodge 241 with a Chevy input shaft. The Dodge comes with a non slip yoke rear output. It has worked great for me.

mbryson

Supporting Member
So, I had a pretty significant drain on my battery after coming home from EJS this year. This buzzer turned out to be the culprint. Took me about 4-5 hours to trace that downimage.jpgimage.jpg

I don’t have a clue what that affects other than I won’t hear a buzzer if I leave my headlights on.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We did notice one of your taillights were sometimes not working, or much dimmer than the other side. Other times, it worked fine. I don't know if that helps any.

Pile of parts

I think I used this to replace my '89 gm wiring mess. More circuits than I needed and way easier than sorting out that mess.