Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know what it is.....trail rig?

Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know... "Jeep" works

Owners Name & City-

Marc Bryson, Woods Cross, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

Excellent question. Titled as a '80 CJ

Engine-

'89 TBI 350

Transmission-

700R4

T-Case-

D300

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker. full width

Rear : Shaved 14 Bolt with spool, 4.56 gears. full width

Suspension-

Waggy fronts

XJ rears (reversed) 101" wheelbase

Wheels and Tires-

38" Super Swamper TSL/SX on stock H1 wheels with PVC beadlocks

Winch-

T-Max 9000

Favorite Trails-

Pritchett, Coyote Canyon, Mineral Basin

Other-

lots......

backontrailer.jpg

abandoned_rig.jpg

I'll get some 'action' pics next time I take it out. (it might be all one color by then, but who knows.......)

Attached are 'all one color' pics.......

freshpaint.jpg

freshpaint2.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Busted it up pretty good at wipe out hill Thursday. Seriously considering selling/parting it out as is. No body damage or rollover. Just broken drive lines getting knocked around underneath tearing shit up

-Needs front/rear drive lines
-Traction bar rewelded (again again) --- I'd just link the rear at this point --- there's a couple stories there that I'll detail at some point. I have a metallurgical theory on the failure of two good welders and a busted up traction bar. Curious if someone has expertise there. Three HOT welds to the 14 bolt tube and VERY little penetration into the axle tube. One my welding 18 years ago, one Steve Nantz(?) 4-5 years ago (maybe 20-25 trail days ago :rolleyes: ), and then another this spring at EJS with some farmer welding rod by our friend Mike from Iowa.

On this last weld job, I spent about 75 minutes grinding the HELL out of anything on that tube. It was NICELY prepped. By the time I'd done that, I was pretty gassed. I personally tacked the bracket in place, lower left of the "outside" bracket and upper inside of the "inside" bracket. Just those welds, I watched the rod burn into the tube and then into the bracket. I paused as I'd been working for a while and I'd stuck the rod on top. Mike could tell I was kind of gassed and asked if I wanted him to weld it up. Being that's kind a "thing" he does, I took him up on his offer. The welds looked pretty damn nice.

Could the multiple weld passes over time create a situation where the metallurgy has changed? I thought that Mike's welds would outlive the 14 bolt FOR SURE. I don't have a picture of them (I should have taken one). They looked pretty textbook to me. I was thrilled with his work.

I was seriously thinking I'd get through Labor Day campout with it and 4 link the rear, buy some seats, swap in the fresh TBI 350 and try to get 10-15 more years out of it...

Drive home and time at home are making me think I get the geriatric JL or JT. Sell the F350 and 32' flatbed. I lose 10 tires to maintain in this equation. Seems like it would be good for my sanity? Marnie has been Uber supportive of the spending and the time in this dawg. Selling it would probably good for my marriage? The JT seems like a good option?

I don't use this Jeep like it was built. It's more than I've used for about 8-10+ years with a couple minor exceptions.

Goal trails for a new build would be Metal Masher in comfort.

If someone is interested, let's chat. I'm open to negotiation. This morning I'll be covered in ATF so that's not great timing. Anytime after that works for me16622146146747668769832603038861.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I may be interested in your trailer if you go that route… it’s bumper pull right? Triple 7k axles?

I've got someone in line ahead of you for that that asked about it Thursday but I'll throw it to you if he passes on it. Yes to your questions. Two new tires from Discount with certs. 4 more to go. I have the equalizer hitch as well.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
Drive home and time at home are making me think I get the geriatric JL or JT. Sell the F350 and 32' flatbed. I lose 10 tires to maintain in this equation. Seems like it would be good for my sanity? Marnie has been Uber supportive of the spending and the time in this dawg. Selling it would probably good for my marriage? The JT seems like a good option?
Not in any way trying to rock your vote, but I just sold my 2020 Tacoma and my 1 ton JKU for a 2020 Rubicon JT. It has a small lift, 37’s and bumpers and is essentially @Greg ’s 2.0 version of his JT. I’ve only had it about 3 weeks but I think it’s my most favorite vehicle I have ever owned. For me, it is the perfect combo of a small truck (Tacoma) and a Daily driver that will wheel (the JKU). I’m extremely happy with my decision.
397F34A3-F728-4F0D-9DA7-28FE2423CD12.jpeg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not in any way trying to rock your vote, but I just sold my 2020 Tacoma and my 1 ton JKU for a 2020 Rubicon JT. It has a small lift, 37’s and bumpers and is essentially @Greg ’s 2.0 version of his JT. I’ve only had it about 3 weeks but I think it’s my most favorite vehicle I have ever owned. For me, it is the perfect combo of a small truck (Tacoma) and a Daily driver that will wheel (the JKU). I’m extremely happy with my decision.
View attachment 152043

I think that's a perfect all around build, 37's and a few inches of lift make a Gladiator quite capable... and it's hard to beat the reliability and comfort of a new Jeep.