Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know what it is.....trail rig?

Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know... "Jeep" works

Owners Name & City-

Marc Bryson, Woods Cross, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

Excellent question. Titled as a '80 CJ

Engine-

'89 TBI 350

Transmission-

700R4

T-Case-

D300

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker. full width

Rear : Shaved 14 Bolt with spool, 4.56 gears. full width

Suspension-

Waggy fronts

XJ rears (reversed) 101" wheelbase

Wheels and Tires-

38" Super Swamper TSL/SX on stock H1 wheels with PVC beadlocks

Winch-

T-Max 9000

Favorite Trails-

Pritchett, Coyote Canyon, Mineral Basin

Other-

lots......

backontrailer.jpg

abandoned_rig.jpg

I'll get some 'action' pics next time I take it out. (it might be all one color by then, but who knows.......)

Attached are 'all one color' pics.......

freshpaint.jpg

freshpaint2.jpg

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think the bus bar is great for the ground side, I personally chose an auxiliary fuse block for the positive side on my 80. I just used a little 6-circuit one, you might need more. Also, you can get the fuse blocks with a ground side as well as positive, if that helps your cause any.

Here's a pic of one options, this one has the ground side also:

st_blade.jpg

This would not be for your winch, just everything else.

SSR

I seen a really cool concept for "switched" accessory wiring posted in Utah Jeep Family, it's similar to what Carl posted above but for larger items requiring relays. The post creater called it a "Fitchbox", it's a relay box positioned where it makes the most sense for accessories location, and a CAT 5 wire is used as the single wire run to a switch panel to trigger the relays. I think he says he seen it in Naxja forum. I certainly wouldn't be the one to say if its safe, or correctly applied, but it is very clean looking concept.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Utah Jeep family on FaceBook? I'll see what I can "search" for on there. (haven't been impressed with FB search at all so far) THANKS

Google search for "Fitchbox" takes me to NAXJA. Looking through the forum makes me laugh as my avatar is used on a LOT of people's login's. Shane Herzog's animation lives on :D

Attachments

• animatedxj.gif
    animatedxj.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

SSR

Utah Jeep family on FaceBook? I'll see what I can "search" for on there. (haven't been impressed with FB search at all so far)

Yes, Facebook. I can't seem to get a link to work, try searching the FB group for "Fitchbox". You will have to read through the comments to see all the pictures.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
For safety sake, add a circuit breaker or a large fuse right where you pull +12v from the battery. As close to the battery as possible. That way, everything upstream of your fuse block (winch, ARB compressor, whatever) is still protected and you won't die in a fire.

mbryson

Supporting Member
For safety sake, add a circuit breaker or a large fuse right where you pull +12v from the battery. As close to the battery as possible. That way, everything upstream of your fuse block (winch, ARB compressor, whatever) is still protected and you won't die in a fire.

I did that exact thing on my JKU. Bought a 120 amp or something fuse to feed the aux. fusebox. I'd probably need to upsize that a bit to feed a winch and an ARB compressor (those likely wouldn't be used at the same time---that'd be a weird situation) so I'd go with something close to max draw for the winch?

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I did that exact thing on my JKU. Bought a 120 amp or something fuse to feed the aux. fusebox. I'd probably need to upsize that a bit to feed a winch and an ARB compressor (those likely wouldn't be used at the same time---that'd be a weird situation) so I'd go with something close to max draw for the winch?
Not sure what I'd do here - 450+ amps or whatever that winch will draw is an awful lot of current. That much current in a short can certainly cause issues before that fuse blows. I'd probably run the winch off it's very own cable straight from the battery, but run a disconnect-able switch on it that you only turn on when the winch is in use. Run your buss/fuse block off of a separate fused feed from the battery.

A switch like this is what I'd run on the winch lead - this Blue Sea brand is nice - I will be running on of their products when I wire up my winch in the next couple of weeks:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...5857&sr=8-2&keywords=blue+sea+disconnect&th=1

Here's an example of a circuit breaker that may work on the buss/fuse block line. No idea who this brand is, but you get the idea:
https://www.amazon.com/Asdomo-12V-2...487176160&sr=8-6&keywords=circuit+breaker+12v

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
^^That's what I did. I have a 60A circuit breaker mounted right to the back of my battery box, feeding the aux fuse block. I only have two circuits so far as you can see.

Circuit breaker pic. The winch wire goes to the same battery terminal, not through any switch or fuse or anything. I'm not SO worried about the winch wire, because it's probably only 12" long. (my solenoid box is mounted just in front of the battery, so the wires going to the winch are not constantly powered)

Fuse block, mounted on a little bracket basically hanging off the firewall.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Isn't that the same idea as to what Bryson posted with the Blue Sea switch but with an in cab button?

I seem to vaguely remember there being a potential issue with interference with communication gear if wires were run a certain way. I can't remember if that had anything to do with +/- or just the antenna coax though. I'd like to also install an aux fuse block to clean up some accessories. Does a fridge need more power than a one of these fuse blocks can handle? I don't have one now but may in the future.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Does a fridge need more power than a one of these fuse blocks can handle? I don't have one now but may in the future.

Nope, they have a 15A inline fuse in the ARB fridge wiring kit. Most of the Blue Sea fuse blocks are good for 100A total, 30A per individual circuit.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Well this happened yesterday. Wiring will continue throughout the upcoming weeknights.

I also moved the spare tire a little lower on my tire carrier. Hope to be able to see out the rear window

Attachments

• IMG_20170304_214845.jpg
    IMG_20170304_214845.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I want an ARB Dual Compressor in my JK this Summer.... I love my CO2 tank, but it takes up so much space! I'd love to hear what you think of the ARB Dual's after a few trail runs & airing back up.

Bart

I have had one in my CJ for a couple of years and love it. So far I've only used it to air up tires, but it makes short work on my 40" Treps.