Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know what it is.....trail rig?

Marc Bryson's K30---Errrr '94 Wrangler----wait, '4x MB---I don't know... "Jeep" works

Owners Name & City-

Marc Bryson, Woods Cross, UT

Make, Model & Year of Vehicle-

Excellent question. Titled as a '80 CJ

Engine-

'89 TBI 350

Transmission-

700R4

T-Case-

D300

Axles-

Front: Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, Eaton E-Locker. full width

Rear : Shaved 14 Bolt with spool, 4.56 gears. full width

Suspension-

Waggy fronts

XJ rears (reversed) 101" wheelbase

Wheels and Tires-

38" Super Swamper TSL/SX on stock H1 wheels with PVC beadlocks

Winch-

T-Max 9000

Favorite Trails-

Pritchett, Coyote Canyon, Mineral Basin

Other-

lots......

backontrailer.jpg

abandoned_rig.jpg

I'll get some 'action' pics next time I take it out. (it might be all one color by then, but who knows.......)

Attached are 'all one color' pics.......

freshpaint.jpg

freshpaint2.jpg

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So, I'll start another thread but I'll be swapping in a "runner" engine I got off KSL. It's worth the risk for what I'm paying vs losing momentum and having the Jeep down for a long time? If it isn't quite what I'm told, I'll get the old one rebuilt and sell the acquired one off for about what I have into it. Risk will be the time to swap and fluid costs. Who's everybody's favorite radiator shop? I should get a small leak fixed on my petcock while I don't have any coolant in it.

I want an ARB Dual Compressor in my JK this Summer.... I love my CO2 tank, but it takes up so much space! I'd love to hear what you think of the ARB Dual's after a few trail runs & airing back up.

I do quite like this compressor (I seem to be having better luck than Dave did with his?) and it's in a good spot that's reasonably accessible. I need to find a clever spot for the hose to sit near the compressor but not get in the way of the seat belt. It airs up the 38" tires pretty respectably. I use it more for other vehicle tires than mine. I have used it a couple times to go from trail psi (12ish) to 28 psi for the street. It takes about 3-4 min per tire. Not bad for a 12v compressor and the 38" MTR

Where/how did you attach the swaybar to the axle?

I should grab a few pics of that. I thought it would work out awesome but it is just butch. The links cleared in the garage but under trail use they've gotten bent up a little. I think they are still strong enough but they look pretty ugly. I think I want more swaybar but I'd need to change all my steering to make the swaybar adjustable and keep the links straight. While I'm swearing at the engine swap, I'll have to put some more thought into things up there

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Haven’t updated this since EJS. Old dawg soldiered on pretty well. Had a little trouble as the week went by with the front shocks. Just confirmed today that the front shocks were VERY meh.

image.jpg

Replaced with the ones I used with my leaf springs and am pretty happy with the front suspension now.

Cool, custom bent tire carrier now as well
image.jpgimage.jpg

Maybe I should have used stronger material for that cross bar? I don’t think it liked supporting 5k?

mbryson

Supporting Member
1574361794835.png
Thoughts on rolling/rotating this Artec truss forward quite a bit? The above is TR1406

The fancy colors are thought for link mounts and rolling the truss fwd. Green lines are where I'd approximately rotate the truss fwd to. Blue lines on the truss are approximate locations of upper link tabs (wanting to rotate the truss to keep the height of the 14 bolt axle down). Blue lines hanging down closish to the backing plate would be the compromise to keeping the vertical separation on the axle side. I'd just use Jeep coil springs to keep costs low (and I have a few sets in the storage shed).

This unit is Artec TR1405
1574361234036.png

Pile of parts

You might talk to @Ilean He made my truss and I'm sure could come up with a narrow version to allow for coils. I mounted my LCAs flush with the bottom of the tubes and rotated my axle, in relation to the truss, a little for proper pinion angle. I run a CV so pointed in line with the drive line. I too, wanted to keep things tight for a LCG. I ended up with 10"+ of separation, which should be just fine with 40" tires. Same 14 bolt axle. Sorry, this is the best picture I have right now.

IMG_20190921_185054802.jpg

mbryson

Supporting Member

mbryson

Supporting Member
This chunky gal needs some love. Time for the following:

-5.13 (5.38?) gears
-different Dana 300 (stock gears and reuse the Novak input and Tera HD output)
-linked rear
-redo brakes/lines
-new seats
-rebuild steering column
-paint? (It’s REALLY going south these days)
-rebuild rear and front drivelines

CAMPING GEAR:
I would like to get out of having to haul the big black box on the back. It carries my tent, three sleeping bags, tent mattress and three small camp pillows. I think I could get some more compact sleeping bags, likely a much smaller tent mattress (kind of a “Cadillac “ 2 person unit that fits my tent pretty well and is comfortable if I’m in there with my daughter or with my wife (probably not likely to ever tent camp again?)).

im sure there’s a camping gear thread around. I’ll search for those. I watched @mesha camp with four people in their TJ a few years ago but I think they probably had $3k in camping gear?

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Check out Klymit pads and gear. They are a local company and have an outlet in Kaysville.

I have a bunch of their gear and really like it. They specialize in sleeping gear: pads, bags, etc.