South-East Utah March RME Trip; The San Rafael Swell

Tonkaman

So a couple maybes, but solid commitments from @Kevin B. & @frieed and myself.... that's all? I thought there would be more interest in this trip, awesome location, weather will be beautiful, only a few hrs from UT & SLC Counties...
Im shocked! This seems like the making for an amazing weekend. I’m pretty disappointed I can’t come

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll be there around noon on Friday to keep Greg out of trouble :).

I'll probably be there a little later, perhaps around 4-5 PM? I'll look for you though, hopefully we can find a campsite a little down river in a quiet location and away from the main road. I'll be in my wife's Maroon (Mahogany Pearl) Land Cruiser, the Jeep is getting heart surgery.

I was hoping to break out the MJ for this but it’s not going to happen for me. :(

That's too bad, Marc.... it's a big project to tackle! I'm sure we'll catch up soon. ;)

Im shocked! This seems like the making for an amazing weekend. I’m pretty disappointed I can’t come

I think it's just a busy time of year, everyone has stuff going on. I understand, but it's the Swell!!

I really really wanted to make this one. Work just isn’t going to allow it this week

Stupid work anyways, sorry to hear. You guys just aren't coming because my 'wife' won't be there... :p

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'll probably be there a little later, perhaps around 4-5 PM? I'll look for you though, hopefully we can find a campsite a little down river in a quiet location and away from the main road.
I may drag my bike down and ride Goodwater then...

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Greg,
Are we running HAM or CB radios on this (I have both, just need to put the CB in if we're running that)

also, Kevin is experiencing truck issues so I have offered the shotgun seat.

Greg

Admin
Greg,
Are we running HAM or CB radios on this (I have both, just need to put the CB in if we're running that)

I wasn't planning on it, I don't have a radio in the Cruiser so hand signals will have to work.

I do have some handheld Baofang radios I could bring, if it's worth the hassle? Only have 2 though.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I wasn't planning on it, I don't have a radio in the Cruiser so hand signals will have to work.

I do have some handheld Baofang radios I could bring, if it's worth the hassle? Only have 2 though.
I have a Baofeng HT as well. Kevin has had several, but seems to donate them to the most recent campsite. :) more than once :rofl:

Homefryy

I'll charge them up and bring them, then! If Kevin doesn't have one, he can use my spare.

It's looking like the probability of me being able to make it out is high. I have 2 Baofeng handhelds I will bring with me. Don't have a HAM license yet but we can use MURS or some of the other unlicensed frequencies.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
also, Kevin is experiencing truck issues so I have offered the shotgun seat.

Thanks for the offer but I've got the whole fambly coming, so we're going to pack into the Wiferunner and make it work. I'm going to try and move the mobile from my truck to hers, if that doesn't happen I'd be stoked to borrow a handheld.

She doesn't get out of class until 7pm, so we'll be showing up late Friday night. Greg, are you planning on setting up in the campground proper or are you looking to be east of there along the San Rafael River road? We'd be stoked if you'd save us a spot to pitch the Kodiak.

Greg

Admin
.... Greg, are you planning on setting up in the campground proper or are you looking to be east of there along the San Rafael River road? We'd be stoked if you'd save us a spot to pitch the Kodiak.

It depends on what's available, how busy the area is when we arrive. But yeah, we'll save you room!

Homefryy

Awesome, see you out there!

It sounds like everybody that has confirmed except me will be getting there Friday at some point. I will be driving down from SLC Saturday morning. Do we still want to stick with the plan of meeting at the San Rafael Bridge campground at 10? I can get down there earlier if we want to meet earlier.

Do we want to agree on a radio channel before hand so its easier to make contact when meeting up? If its only me coming down Saturday and you set up camp somewhere down the San Rafael River Rd I can just call on the radio to find out where you are and meet you at camp or do we want to keep a fixed meeting point in case unconfirmed people decide to show up? This is only my 2nd group run so not sure how things normally work.

Anything else I should know or be prepared for? I'm no stranger to camping adventures just new to doing it with groups.

What vehicles will I be looking for? I'll be in my red XJ.

Greg

Admin
It sounds like everybody that has confirmed except me will be getting there Friday at some point. I will be driving down from SLC Saturday morning. Do we still want to stick with the plan of meeting at the San Rafael Bridge campground at 10? I can get down there earlier if we want to meet earlier.

Do we want to agree on a radio channel before hand so its easier to make contact when meeting up? If its only me coming down Saturday and you set up camp somewhere down the San Rafael River Rd I can just call on the radio to find out where you are and meet you at camp or do we want to keep a fixed meeting point in case unconfirmed people decide to show up? This is only my 2nd group run so not sure how things normally work.

Anything else I should know or be prepared for? I'm no stranger to camping adventures just new to doing it with groups.

What vehicles will I be looking for? I'll be in my red XJ.

It does sound like you'll be the only one showing up on Saturday, so if you can be earlier, that would be great. What time do you think you could make it, without pushing it?

We should be a pretty easy group to find, we'll be in/around the San Rafael Bridge CG area, possibly just a bit South (down river) if that location is crowded. The meeting point will be the campsite, we'll be there. :D

Nothing really worth mentioning.... we're all pretty relaxed guys, this is just an informal get-together of like-minded folks. We'll chat and make a plan for what we want to do/see each day, but Black Dragon Canyon and Eagle Canyon are high on the list. I'm game for most anything else, as well.

As mentioned above, I'll be in a maroon Land Cruiser.

Greg

Admin
Oh, I'll be bringing a LOT of firewood. Should be enough for 2 nights and planning on it getting dark early still. If anyone else wants to bring some, you're welcome to.

Greg

Admin
I'm late to the conversation and never been to the swell, my truck needs some work so would this be something doable in a stock 4x4? I'll steal my wife's Sequoia if it's more of an explore type trip vs rock crawl.

It's a exploring trip, but there are parts of both Black Dragon and Eagle that are a bit rough/challenging. @frieed mentioned that he left paint in Black Dragon last time thru, so take that into consideration... especially with the wife's rig! You'll want good tires, there are some ledges & rocks coming out of Black Dragon that would be pretty rough on street tires, too.