Massive video making

RogueJeepr

Here!
After making my last DVD (which took me forever to complete), I have a ton of video and pics to go through.
Pretty much our trips from 2011 to present day.
This started out with just one big trip a year to 2 bigger trips and some smaller campouts in between.
As we got better with our budget and doing trips on the cheap. It's now to monthly trips.
I'd like to get through this before all my gear gets outdated and also my computer.
Would like to compile it into a series of videos. Which got me to thinking about (maybe) starting a YouTube channel.
Started research on that but wondering if it's worth it or not. Any advice on that ?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
IMO, its definitely worth doing. YouTube or Vimeo both work well. You can make your videos private if you choose and just share with people you know, or make them public. Just be careful with music as YouTube is insane about copyrights on music. They will let the person who owns the music monetize your videos if they file a copyright claim and there is nothing you can do other than remove your video and find new music.

RogueJeepr

Here!
IMO, its definitely worth doing. YouTube or Vimeo both work well. You can make your videos private if you choose and just share with people you know, or make them public. Just be careful with music as YouTube is insane about copyrights on music. They will let the person who owns the music monetize your videos if they file a copyright claim and there is nothing you can do other than remove your video and find new music.
My DVD had music. So I just gave it to family members.
This newer footage will be legal.

The monetization thing confused me.
I notice some vids have a lot of commercials and some (take Ronny Dahl for example) dont have any during the vid. How does that work?

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
The monetization thing confused me.
I notice some vids have a lot of commercials and some (take Ronny Dahl for example) dont have any during the vid. How does that work?

You can set how many advertisements you want and what kind to allow, ie banner, begining, during, etc. They recently changed the monetization rules however (which pissed a lot of folks off) you now have to have 10,000 views on your channel before you can monetize.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I don't see a reason not to start a Youtube channel, it's a great way to organize your adventures and share with friends (or the public if you want). I wouldn't plan on making much money, if that's a honest interest...

I started a YT channel years ago, have over 100 vids now and something like 1.4 million views. I may make $3/month on monetized vids.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Yeah, I won't be quitting my job anytime soon. Ha, ha.

This should keep me busy during the winter and not want to go wheeling every chance I get (more stuff to edit).

Last edited:

Caleb

As suggested, check out Vimeo too. You get more control of how your videos look and present but I don't believe there is any chance of monetization there. If you're not looking to monetize, then I'd do Vimeo.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Thanks, I'll look into that.
How do you guys edit ? Do you edit from your computer , transfer the whole vid to YT/Vimo and install a song OR is it all done on the site's ?
Also comments disabled Y/N ?
Alot of trolls but I do like to hear positive input/suggestions.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
Thanks, I'll look into that.
How do you guys edit ? Do you edit from your computer , transfer the whole vid to YT/Vimo and install a song OR is it all done on the site's ?
Also comments disabled Y/N ?
Alot of trolls but I do like to hear positive input/suggestions.

I edit from my PC or phone. I use a program called power director on my PC and it has an app so I can use my phone as well. I download music and incorporate it as I'm editing. Youtube has thousands of free, no copyright music you can use or use a music service like epidemic sound or artlist (subscription required, but much better quality than the free stuff).
I leave comments enabled.

RogueJeepr

Here!
What do you guy's like (or not like) to see in a video ?
Im debating on adding my voice to tell the story. Not sure what it sounds like yet, so that's up in the air. If I do it'll be short bits.
Not really keen on putting myself in either. Maybe a few quick shots (neighbor on home improvement kind of thing).

Tech episodes. Y or N ?
Packing for a trip
Organization
Budgets
Stucks, recovery
Planning trips
Gear used, etc.

Anything else you'd like to see. Maybe some RME trips and other groups/jeep clubs. I have a few shots and videos from previous years.

So far I have my first vid planned with a story plot . Just need to chain myself in front of the computer and make that "intro".

Last edited:

smfulle

I just got an email from YouTube saying they are changing their policies once again. New policy in order to monetize your channel you have to have 4,000 hours of viewing in the last 12 months and 1,000 subscribers. They are really not wanting to pay us nickle and dimer's any more. It's taken me two years to break 400 on the subscribers. I guess my silly Grampa's Jeep videos only appeal to a narrow audience. 400 doesn't even cover all my cousins.
I did get 120 bucks last year. That at least paid for my new editing software. Guess it's all just for fun now. (it really was anyway, but money is money)

RogueJeepr

Here!
As suggested, check out Vimeo too. You get more control of how your videos look and present but I don't believe there is any chance of monetization there. If you're not looking to monetize, then I'd do Vimeo.

Vimeo has some great plus's but just dosent bring in the viewer's like YouTube. Hardly any off-road stuff and most of its a few years old.
I found an article about YT trying to prevent an implosion and a "anything goes" atmosphere by closing the doors for awhile to new videoographers.
So I think my older vids with music will be on vimeo and my newer (episode) stuff will be on YT.

Caleb

That's absolutely true. As I mentioned, it really depends on how you want to use these videos. Monetization, YT is an easy choice. If it's to put them on a website somewhere, Vimeo is an easy choice due to the extra control you have on presenting your videos. However, YT is making the monetization much harder, you have to have 1000 subscribers and at least 4000 hours of overall watch time on your channel as of February 20th.

I think it would really neat to have basically a RME4x4 Youtube channel. Showing all the events, and the how to videos. I think it would be an awesome resource for the forum, and maybe set it apart from others.
I have some video editing experience, and a bit of videography experience. I was planning on starting a vlog, but I would really love to be involved in something like that if the opportunity arises.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think it would really neat to have basically a RME4x4 Youtube channel. Showing all the events, and the how to videos. I think it would be an awesome resource for the forum, and maybe set it apart from others.
I have some video editing experience, and a bit of videography experience. I was planning on starting a vlog, but I would really love to be involved in something like that if the opportunity arises.

We actually do have a dedicated RME channel, but I rarely use it. - https://www.youtube.com/user/RME4x4

I usually upload my RME vids to my personal channel and have been doing a decent amount of filming for different RME trips that I go on. I plan to continue this for as long as I can and think I'm getting better. We have some upcoming RME trips that I plan to film and will upload them in a trip report. My channel- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3hyW69nuc5PInZAoiIryIg

And some of my RME vids.... some of these are from trips with RME members, some are parts reviews, etc.