Mattress shopping thread

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Recently bought a mattress myself, just about the time this thread was popping up. Went and tried the sleep number, was nice but I was not overly impressed. We ended up buying an Aireloom mattress, and I'll say i've never slept better. Took about a month to break in a bit, but now almost two months down the road i'm loving this thing.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
https://lull.com/mattress

Anyone have input on these? Other than size, there aren't a lot of options, and I don't think they have any retail locations or distributors to try them out. They do have a 100 night trial with a full refund option, but...

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
One thing I see missing on that one (and most others) is the side support, that keeps you from falling off when you get close to the edge. Basically a harder piece of foam just at the edges. Without it the mattress will sorta collapse under your weight and try to roll you off. (if that makes sense...hard to explain in type)

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
One thing I see missing on that one (and most others) is the side support, that keeps you from falling off when you get close to the edge. Basically a harder piece of foam just at the edges. Without it the mattress will sorta collapse under your weight and try to roll you off. (if that makes sense...hard to explain in type)

The mattress we got from furniture row has more springs near the sides just to combat sag and support your weight when sitting with your legs on the floor. I think both the nice pillow top and box spring was right at a grand. For that money I'll replace it every 7-10 years and be money a head of a super expensive brand paying for their advertisement.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I paid around $1300 for my Christeli, and I just saw they're on sale for that amount again. (4th of July sale) It's a nice memory foam deal similar to the $4k Tempur Pedic stuff.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I currently have a memory foam mattress from Costco, and I don't think it has any extra firm foam or anything on the sides. For a couple of years now it hasn't been an issue for us. I don't need bumpers in the gutter when I go bowling either.:p

That Lull mattress touts the 100-night trial with a full refund including pickup, so maybe it's worth a try? There are a few reviewers that weren't happy with the mattress that said the full refund and free pickup were legit and as advertised. It sounds like they just have the Salvation Army pick them up, and I assume they just donate them?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Those of you with a sleep number, did you buy the base from them or use something else? I'm ready to pull out my megamat10 I've slept so bad the last couple weeks. I constantly wake up with numb arms or hands, can't get comfortable, ....... it sucks.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Reviving this thread. We’ve had our Casper memory foam mattress (king) for 5.5 years and it’s done. My side sinks and it hurts my back. The wife has been chatting with a rep from purple and they suggest a mattress that’s $4k. Nope. I’m not too keen on the sleepnumber deal with the crack in the middle either. I think buying a middle of the road memory foam mattress every 5 years just might be the norm.

Soooo what’s the current hotness?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think I'm going to try a cheap Amazon memory foam mattress sometime soon. I've been pretty dang happy with the one we put in our camper, and it was like $70...so not much risk. Could get a new one every year. (and maybe would need to?)

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Been rocking a Amazon green tea mrm foam mattress king for 2 years with no issues, it's firm, but I bought a cheapo topper and its been great. I think 350 ish all together

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Reviving this thread. We’ve had our Casper memory foam mattress (king) for 5.5 years and it’s done. My side sinks and it hurts my back. The wife has been chatting with a rep from purple and they suggest a mattress that’s $4k. Nope. I’m not too keen on the sleepnumber deal with the crack in the middle either. I think buying a middle of the road memory foam mattress every 5 years just might be the norm.

Soooo what’s the current hotness?
As a big dude and a side sleeper, a good mattress is hard to find. I don't remember exactly which one it is but we have a Purple that we paid around $2000 for a couple years ago, and it blows every traditional mattress I've used out of the water. It is exactly the right combination of softness to prevent pressure points on the hip and firmness to prevent the kinked back from a crooked spine and I'm getting the best sleep I've gotten since my 20s.

We bought it skeptically, and I was pretty sure I was going to use the return policy and get something cheaper. I did not use the return policy. If I had to replace it now and had to spend $4000 to do it, I'd do it, and I am a cheap bastard.. I'd bitch and moan and kvetch the whole time, but I'd do it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Had a Sleep Number in our motorhome. That thing was terrible. We bought a Purple when they were only $1,300. I guess they got all fancy when they moved manufacturing to Grantsville. 🤷‍♂️ I would not pay $4k, but I do like the mattress.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Also the fancy Purple pillow. The salesman threw one in to sweeten the deal, and he knew what he was doing because the wife and I immediately started fighting over it and we had to go drop $100 or so on another. It is again exactly the right ratio of firmness and softness and has enough height to it that I don't need to stack pillows to keep my neck straight.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I was having a lot of back pain, to the point that a good nights sleep didn't exist anymore and getting out of bed every morning was actually a relief. Trips to the chiropractor gave temporary relief. We had a memory foam mattress from RC Willey that died in less than 5 years.

I'm pretty cheap... but this problem had to end. About 2-3 months ago we sprung for a purple.
For the first 2-3 weeks I didn't like it, but now I LOVE it. It's cleared up at least 80% of my back pain.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
As a big dude and a side sleeper, a good mattress is hard to find. I don't remember exactly which one it is but we have a Purple that we paid around $2000 for a couple years ago, and it blows every traditional mattress I've used out of the water. It is exactly the right combination of softness to prevent pressure points on the hip and firmness to prevent the kinked back from a crooked spine and I'm getting the best sleep I've gotten since my 20s.

We bought it skeptically, and I was pretty sure I was going to use the return policy and get something cheaper. I did not use the return policy. If I had to replace it now and had to spend $4000 to do it, I'd do it, and I am a cheap bastard.. I'd bitch and moan and kvetch the whole time, but I'd do it.
Well damn, you’re speaking my language. I was waiting for a review from a big guy. I’m also a side sleeper and the crooked spine is what gets me. I stacked blankets on the floor and slept there last night. That’s how much I’m over our current mattress.